Starting an ambulance service

gtl

I just looked at the profile, and the OP only posted the opening to this string. One post. No other postings, to this, or anywhere else in EMT City. You're probably correct, when discovering how much effort starting an ambulance service can be, frightened off the individual, even from posting on other topics.

I'm edgy, I've taken A LOT, likely double the 24hr dose of several cold meds. So I may be offensive, defensive, loopy or difficult to understand. Thank "God" for auto spell check, eh? Anyhoo. Ittabeaight.

or STONED ?

jk

ps I have no excuse.

• 6 months later...

An Ambulance Service is not very hard to start. With the right direction. A good place to start is Regulatory Licensing and Compliance. They do everything for begining to end. They Process Your State License Application, Medical Protocols, Get u a Doctor, Help u Find an Ambulance & Supplies they even process your City Application & help you get a Medicare & Medicaid LicenseThey have in- house Medical Directors and personell that can assit you with every aspect from Bls Service to MICU. If you need serious help look them up!!

MoneyisinEMS, first off, welcome to EMT City.

You seem to believe that starting an EMS service, even a non-transporting agency, is easy. I can only comment on almost 38 years of ambulance work, all in New York State, that it is NOT an easy thing. However, I don't have a listing of your pedegree, which might be from somewhere where it actually MIGHT be easy, or at least a good bit simpler than NY. Please enlighten us, as to what county/parrish, state/provence, and/or country your experience is from?

• 5 years later...

I own a ambulance service....be aware of the following:

Medicare medicaid very strict and you'll be in a world of hurt if you over bill or under bill.

What's cash price, private insurance rate, base rate?

You must have ems service license, radio fcc license, dispatch agreements, 400 pages of policy for hipaa, medicare, osha, labor, etc etc. Patient transfer acceptance paperwork, refusals, medical director, pharmacy, qa policy, cleaning policy, narcotic forms, patient care reports, physician certification forms, uniforms, equipment such as 

Cardiac monitors, cspine, drugs, iv pumps and sets, airway kits, trauma kit,backboards, cots, aeds, iv drugs and this isn't even the beginning. Don't forget 10,000 00 ventilator. Med director will want money plus you gotta gave millions in insurance..malpractice, business, equipment etc etc plu cover your md liability.

Logos are expenseve, uniforms aren't cheap...,

Stryker power cot used 8000

Cardiac monitor used 3500

Drugs 1500 per year

Insurance 25k year

Maintanence 8k

Attorney on retainer

Iv pump 3500 used

Vent 8000 used

Aed 900 used

Trauma bag als 2500

Oxygen 500

Cspine and boards 1500

Fda licenses 1800 year

Marketing 3000 year

Shop rent 1500 month plus utilities

Hospitals have to like you. 

Don't forget medicare takes around 6 months to pay...can you wait?

You gotta have 24 7 call canter plus workers emt, paramedics, nurse . If you make one mistake hospitals will stop calling and your done.

Edited by Beartooth ems

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, maphakge mn said:

hi guys,i just want to know in which way can i start my private ambulance in south africa fast and how to register it and where will i register it as well?

I'm not sure anyone can help you here.  If you want to do this fast you might not be willing to do it right.  

After reading this document http://www.gov.za/sites/www.gov.za/files/38775_rg10427_gon413.pdf  which seems to come directly from the government of South Africa on setting up Emergency Medical Services, there is no way this will be a "fast" process.  

This is another website you might want to look at   http://sapaesa.co.za/

I get the feeling from your well thought out post that you really don't have any intention of doing this right.  Prove me wrong.  Tell us what your credentials are, what your intentions for a Private ambulance service is and why you are qualified to start a private ambulance service in South Africa.  The most important question is this, why do you think doing it fast is better than doing it right?

On 6/26/2011 at 11:44 PM, MoneyisinEms said:

An Ambulance Service is not very hard to start. With the right direction. A good place to start is Regulatory Licensing and Compliance. They do everything for begining to end. They Process Your State License Application, Medical Protocols, Get u a Doctor, Help u Find an Ambulance & Supplies they even process your City Application & help you get a Medicare & Medicaid LicenseThey have in- house Medical Directors and personell that can assit you with every aspect from Bls Service to MICU. If you need serious help look them up!!

Bazinga, so simple a geico cave man can do it.   so can this new ambulance service pass the state review that goes with it all that says that there is a need in the area you want to cover for another ambulance service?  Will that area which is already covered by an established ambulance service willingly let you come in and take business away from them?  Sure they will, they will just roll over, let you rub their belly and say Good dog, take it like a good puppy while we take some of your business.  No where I have ever worked has the established ambulance service just sat back and allowed this to happen, even with transfers only. 

Not many doctors out there want the added headache of medical director of a fledgeling brand-new ambucab service.  They better brushup on their malpractice insurance coverage because they have just taken on an unknown entity that they have no idea how good their providers are, how good that service actually is and whether or not that service really is well run or not.  

Just who is Regulatory, licensing and Compliance?  are they an actual company?  Provide a link.  

I think you are walking around with Jade colored or rose colored or just no glasses at all and are really in for a rude awakening when you try to do this.  I had a friend who dumped 250K of his own and 1.2 mil of a venture capitalists money into a start up ambulance service and they lost all but 75k of that money.  His venture cap dude was pissed.  So NO it's not as easy as you think.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.