Starting an ambulance service

gtl

Hi everyone im new to this board and was looking to get info on what i need to start an ambulance business. Besides the ambulance and stracher does anyone know what kind of equipment or medical supplies the ambulance will need to operate. can someone recommened a website as to what these would costs and where i can purchase these at. any info will be appreciated a lot.

Well if you are an EMT, you should already know what is in an ambulance. And each state has specific requirements for what you must have. For example, in PA, bandaids aren't required. DUH! (We carry them anyway.) In MD, bandaids are required. You have to contact the EMS licensing agency in your state to find out specifics.

oops fiznat I guess you posted that while i was typing mine. Well, what he said.

You need to purchase a license to operate! What state are you in? Do you have any business background? If you can get the license you have to contact your state DOT and DOH and find out what the requirements are. You need to find a building, get supplies, get contracts with nursing homes and other facilities. This is a big undertaking you want to get in to. Some states aren't giving out licenses any more...you have to buy out a company that has one already and use theirs under the new name. This isn't a cheap business to get into either...you have to work with insurance companies to bill for services, you need insurance for your building, employees, vehicles, etc. Do some research and contact your state DOT and DOH before you go any further. See if it's even feasible for you to do this. It's not as simple as just buying an ambulance and stocking it....Good Luck!

• Like 1

In addition to already stated by the others, in New York State, you have to have a CON, or Certificate of Need. For that, you have to hold public hearings, where any other services in the area you intend to serve, or alongside to it, have to give their approval. If you want to serve within NYC area, you might have to also get approval from Nassau County, and the neighboring city of Yonkers.

More to follow...

In this economy, and with medicare payouts being sooooo slow.. I would avoid it at all costs. Don't think: new. Think: Consolidation... Unless, of course, you're in some off the beaten path, secluded place with no medical assistance at all..?

To buy PA's required equipment, it would cost about $35,000.00; plus the cost of a reliable ambulance.. and you'll need extra supplies too. B/c if it's in service, you need to have the required equipment on board.

I have a friend who is doing just this. His initial funding is rapidly dwindling down. I think his initial funding from a outside investor was about 3mil.

He hasn't even begun ops' yet.

You will also need a need and necessity hearing to be able to start a service up at least in missouri. You will have to prove that the service you are trying to cover has poor coverage and you can provide better.

Do waht others here say, buy a currently operating.

Can we ask how much money you have to start this up with?

Only because Dust is AWOL . . .

>>Besides the ambulance and stracher<<

Yeah, you'll need a stracher! LOL!

I think one rule that should be implemented in the, "How do I start an ambulance company," paradigm is ten years working for a moronic ambulance company owner . . .

:)

• Like 1

You need at least enough money to cover all costs for a minimum of at least 3 years after you get your state ambulance service license. It will probably take a year if not more to do all the paperwork and provide all that is required to get a license. Besides buying the ambulance and supplies you will already have to pay a medical director as their name and signature has to be on many of the forms. It takes on the conservative side $600,000 per year per ambulance to staff and operate it. Oh and the fraud dollars oops I mean medicaid/medicare will take close to a year after you start operating to start coming in and as someone else mentioned they barely pay anything for ambulance services anymore, plus they are cracking down big time on ambulance fraud. And don't forget you will have to pay a billing company because if you try to do it yourself unless you are an up to date expert in medical billing and collections you will not see hardly a penny come in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.