NREMT epic fail

26 members have voted

1. 1. Did you fail your NREMT frist try?

• yes
    • no

So I took my NREMT last Saturday only to find out this morning that I failed.. I took my EMT class through my high school and can't say that they prepared me to take this test at all.. Though I suppose making up excuses for why I didn't pass doesn't help anything. I was the best student in class which means nothing now.. I was also top third in my graduating class which means nothing. I suppose this really opened my eyes. This is real world stuff not high school anymore.. It has also made me question my eighteen year old self's competence and maturity. What patient wants an EMT that can't even pass her NREMT exam and is just straight out of high school? I suppose next time I'll work harder and study harder. I might even wait until I'm older and a little wiser.

Thanks for reading. I like advice :)

I am not saying this is the case. BUT, most people that I know who fail the NR the first time, do so because they overthink and/or over analyze the questions. Remember, keep it simple....A, B, C's. Don't worry. Many people have failed the test and have gone on to be great providers.

The question is, do you have the stones to pick your self up and give it another go?

Edit- because my spelling is horrible.

Edited by armymedic571
  • Like 1

I agree with armymedic571. Sometimes, it's just over analyzing the questions. Don't read in to them...read them as they are written. Look at the answer and read ALL answers before deciding which is the correct one. If it doesn't jump out at you, the play the elimination game. Eliminate the ones that really don't belong, and that is usually 2. Then, reread the question and look at the last remaining answers.

With the basic test, you really do want to step through the ABCs. I took my basic and felt like too many of my answers were "airway" when, in fact, that is all they were looking for.

As to whether or not you should take the NR...go for it. You never know when you might want to leave your state and the NR will transfer nicely to most other states...especially Texas.

Good luck on that retest.

• Like 1

I was hoping to see one of those fail blog pictures with something funny. This isn't!

Like the others said focus on your ABCs. Many times the questions are design to have more than one correct answer but you must determine the best possible answer. As for the NREMT review book I know Barron has great paramedic one it really help me prepare for my test. Never read the EMT one but I am sure it is great here take a look Barron's EMT Exam.

As for Kansas having their own test I am 99.9% sure they don't I live in Missouri and have considered getting my Kansas license and they are a national registry state.

Good Luck

Ok, here's the 'real deal'....

You've taken the NREMT and for whatever reason, you didn't pass it. This isn't the end of the world...

What matters now is what your next step is.

As I see it, you can do one of two things:

1. Sit back and lament about what a 'failure' you are and never put forth any effort on anything ever again (We don't want to set ourselves up to fail again, now do we?)

2. You can pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back in the game.

I'm going to echo armymedic here; many people have failed the test and still ended up being some really 'ace' providers.

You've heard the age old saying that 'SH*t happens'? Guess what? This is just a pile of sh*t that you've stepped in. Time to scrape off the bottom of your boot, and keep on truckin!

Most people that have trouble with the NREMT tend to overanalyze the questions, or worry about which number the test stopped on.

The questions are designed to measure your cognitive skills, (how well you think about the scenario they present). They will give you all the information you need to 'solve it'...Do NOT start trying to 'guess' what they're getting at. The questions are straight-forward.

Do NOT worry about your time (you'll have plenty of time if you stick to the task at hand and keep your head in the game). Don't worry about what question the test is on. This is NOT an indicator of how well you're doing/not doing! Take your time, (Remember the hare and the tortise? 'slow and steady wins the race').

Don't try to 'cram' the night before the next testing date, this will only get everything all twisted in your head.

Get a good night's rest the night before.

Eat a light snack before you go, and do NOT load up on water or other beverages, the need to pee is a bitch of a distraction!

It's all up to you now....whatcha gonna do?

If you have any questions, I'm sure that there are MANY people here that will guide you to the right answers. There's a wealth of knowledge here; take advantage of it!

No one's here to bust your chops, we've all 'been there, done that', and some of us have 'been there, done that' so many times that we've designed the t-shirts you can get at the gift shop!

Let us know how you plan to handle it, and how it turns out.

Best of luck!

LS

• Like 1

=oD thank you, that is great advise.. I'm planning on taking it again, I just have to find a time to continue studying.. I just moved away from home to college and I'm starting my first job along with classes. I think after everything calms down in the next few weeks I'll start studying again.

• 2 weeks later...

As I recall it, NREMT-P exam was the easiest I've ever taken and passed. The hardest exam I've ever taken was administered by North Shore LIJ hospital for their job interview. Cheer up, it will get a lot harder and humbling down the road, so pick yourself up now and try again.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.