Care Package Ideas?

Jeepluv77

Thanks Doc and tniuqs. I actually bought three pounds of Swedish Fish(candy) for them. I figure that'll be enough to share. This crew has an unnatural obsession with Swedish Fish. You have all given me some great ideas. I'm going to send as much snack items as I can. In addition to not having access to much for long periods, they are now getting even less time to eat. He's standing 6 on 6 off watches every single day now in addition to his normal duties as an engineman and trying to make various quals. They haven't had a day off since they left. Figure the least I can do is send some provisions for them. Thanks for the support to all of you! This has been the roughest deployment I know of on both sides of the globe. It's nice to know people still care. I definately will send him a link so he knows you guys appreciate it. :) And, guys, thanks for your service, too!

Edited by Jeepluv77

Jeep,

Where is your Hubby???? You said he is in the navy, but....is he on a ship, or with the marines?????? That also has a lot to do with what he should or should not sent him and his comrades.

If he is with the Marines, I would suggest foot powder, and/or body powder. When I was over last year my wife sent my this stuff called Monkey Butt Powder. it was awesome. Just a suggestion. Anywho, good luck with your care packages.....

AM 571

Thanks, armymedic. He's on a p.c. crew. They spend part time underway and part in port. He's decided he wants to be on the boarding team. So, when they're in port, he'll be training for that I think. I know he's getting a lot of new qual's too so he'll pretty much be training when he's not working or standing watch. He does get horrible foot problems over there so I've got him the medicated Goldbond foot powder. In the 9 months between deployments his feet still hadn't healed before he left this time. I'll have to try the one you mentioned. I've got three boxes ready to go. I'm excited to send them. I'm trying to make sure there's enough for him to share of food items. :)

The only things that I can suggest is if you bake cookies send them in a pringles can (they don't crush easy), playing cards, nerf football. It sounds kinda corny but one of my best friends was overseas about a year ago and I got a small plastic container and scooped up some dirt and put the word home on the lid. He said it was something that made him smile and look forward to getting back to the states. Thank your hubby for his service. And if you need any more ideas search google or bing. Here is a site that should help a little bit. If you need anything feel free to PM me. I was a Marine wife once upon a time.

http://militarymomathome.blogspot.com/2009/01/care-package-ideas.html

Happy sending!

I agree with anything that makes the feet happier. My personal kit always had a small bottle of gold bond, rubbing alcohol, and moleskin. Socks are really important. I am very fond of the Thorlo "combat boot" socks. Heavily cushioned, moisture wicking, worth the price ($11-13/pair at AAFES).

While sending some dirt is nice as a tangible bit of home, it's generally considered restricted agricultural material, and therefore not permitted to send. I found this out when I wanted to take home some sand from Kuwait and Iraq, ala SGT Horvath in Saving Private Ryan.

'zilla

http://awtr.blogspot.com/2007/09/cake-in-jar.html This is a good idea!! (my ex is in the Army) and I would send him things from here. http://www.minimus.biz/

Minimus ships super fast and they are so nice. Thanks your hubby for his service.

Thanks doc and mrs! Sorry it took so long for me to get back. Been one of those weeks. Always sign in here with the best of intentions and get sidetracked. Anywho, these are all great ideas. And, mrs, one of those links had ideas for theme packages. I'm going to present the idea at the next family readiness group meeting and see if we can send one together to the whole crew. I can only imagine what we'll come up with, though, as this crew is a little odd. Some of the gags they pull are just nuts. I think I'm also going to try to send one really awesome prank-type thing for him to use in each package. Seems that's how they pass the time. I have pretty much zero imagination so it's going to take some research and any suggestions for that are welcome as well. Pretty much as long as it's safe, doesn't cause any damage, and would not prevent them from from preforming their duties as needed(keep in mind they are a Patrol Coastal so they could go hours and suddenly have to board). No body is overly sensitive so it doesn't need to be "politically correct" either. Thanks again, everyone!

I'm not sure if Eatmore bars are a Canadian thing but they don't melt. They get soft, but they don't actually melt, so they may be a welcome treat in the heat.

PT clothes, magazines, party favors from the dollar store (comes in packs of 5 great to share), baby wipes (huggies cool cucumber ones dont leave a film) sunscreen, beef jerky, cd's (cant be burned), silly string, cookies. For sending anything home baked to keep it fresh put a slice of bread in the container or fill it with popcorn. Its been over two years since Ive sent a care package but thats the majority of what I was asked for and what was sent.