Care Package Ideas?

Jeepluv77

My husband deployed with the Navy on July 6th. I'm getting ready to send out his first care package and I want to send some good stuff. They're in an extremely hot climate so it has to be things that won't melt or get damaged. I've got swedish fish because they don't melt. Pez because, not only do they not melt but they can be slipped in a pocket for a pick me up on watch(no dispenser because it's too bulky). A couple of books and DVD's. Some odds and ends for his uniforms. Now I'm looking for things that would be highly appreciated that neither he nor I may have thought of. Any ideas? I was told that wet wipes, which I was considering sending to help him stay cool, would leave a film on his skin that would irritate after awhile. Someone told me there are cooling wipes made for desert climates that don't do that but I can't find them. Any idea where I might get those? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Especially for items that can be shared because several of the guys don't have anyone sending anything. Thanks for any ideas!

• Like 1

Not to be a wet blanket, but verify that they can get such packages. There was a time that all packages were suspect to be carrying IEDs, and I don't know if they still have such alert in effect.

They addressed that at the pre-deployment breifing, Richard. We are allowed to send them but were instructed not to include anything "sensitive" as they are subject to being opened and searched. I forgot to include, however, that we are discouraged from sending anything larger than a "standard sized adult's shoe box" so all items will have to be small. I'll be sending a package every 1-2 weeks while they're in port and every 4 weeks when they're underway so I'll be able to send a lot.

• Like 1

Completely non PC, but you want to know what really works?

Panties...you're panties. No one will admit it, but if you doubt me, ask akflightmedic. I won't tell you what he recommended for me... "-)

Cookies. DVDs of tv shows at home, COMPLETE WITH COMMERCIALS! I was shocked when Babs sent us tv shows from home to watch during our downtime and the guys begged for commercials.

Pics of the kids, things that remind your man that you want, and need him naked, plus silly sweet stuff.

I know this is going to sound perverted, and that's ok because honesty often does, but things that make him feel like a man, and a husband, and a father. That is what makes the time pass.

Had I not had the advice of Ak and Dust when I first went overseas I would have run home crying like a menstruating 7 year old. It's stupid, and juvenile, but what gets men through is feeling like men. See? It's important that you remember that.

Dwayne

• Like 1

Thanks, guys! I would never have thought of something like toilet paper but it makes sense. And, Dwayne, I'll definately take that advice. I figured guys wouldn't want stuff like that but if he'd like it I'll send it. He and a few of his buddies have a thing for old slapstick so I've got some DVD's of Abbot and Costello and The Three Stooges for them. I figured it's one of those things he probably doesn't even realize I picked up on as it was mentioned in passing while we were on the mess decks hanging out one day. I make sure that I try to include something in every email I send about something that day that made me think of him. I'm still in that stage where little things, like seeing a lifted truck or hotrod we'd admire together, will choke me up but I don't tell him that part because I don't want to make him sad. Thankfully, when he's in port, we have Skype. Even though I rarely wear makeup I make sure my makeup's done and I'm looking my best when we're on Skype no matter how tired/frustrated/otherwise drained I am. Anything else I can do to cover all the bases, guys? Anything need to be stepped up or scaled down? He's one of those guys that won't communicate feelings, tries to put on a tough guy face, so I'm having to attempt to read his mind on this. Unfortunately, I think someone forgot to include my ESP.

• Like 1

Well here is my suggestion and it's along the lines of Dwyane. When my ex husband went to boot camp and when he went away I use to write the dirtiest letters to him. After he came back from those times away he always said thanks and now it time to make those stories true. If you cant seem to get it out on paper go buy a dirty book and find something to copy.

Another thing if there is such a thing anymore is a cassette tape of you and the family, just hearing the voices of the ones you love will get you through alot.

Hope it is a quick and safe trip for your hunny

• Like 2

I regularly send stuff to my friend for her son in Iraq. These items are small enough to fit in the bdu pockets. They are charmine travel toilet paper. Disinfectant wipes for hands, again in the travel size. If you have an Avon representative purchase the hand cream mini's. The best ones are the moisture thereapy, intensive Treatment and Vitamin Treatment plus the moisture threapy intensive lip stuff in either the tube or push up dispenser. I send fly paper in the little tubes as well. Another thing I did send is Nature Valley granola bars.

• Like 1

Remember too that stuff you send may also be shared with his comrades, which is always a good thing. Here's a list of stuff we liked when I was in Iraq.

Oreos. Couldn't get these over there, though they did have some cookies.

Good shoe insoles (walking on all the gravel meant we were seeing a crapload of plantar fasciitis)

If he is on land, a small dry erase board to hang on his CHU is good.

BEEF JERKY. Hugely popular. Never lasted more than a day, no matter how much I got.

Febreze

ATT phone cards

Trail mix type stuff. Nuts, dried fruit, etc.

Colored chalk. A lot of the guys drew stuff on their Twalls outside their CHU

Nerf guns. Which, incidentally, will fit a $1500 combat optic.

Water guns

Dart board

Little bottles of hand sanitizer

Decent razors for shaving

Any toiletry stuff he is fond of, like a particular kind of soap, shampoo, having gel, whatever.

Cheryl and Co cookies ships free to APO addresses. These are awesome.

Whatever you ship, USPS priority flat rate box is usually the best way to go.

We had plenty of books. Thanks to the Iraqis, we had lots of cheap shitty DVDs, but good quality DVDs of decent movies were not as easy to find. And for some reason, half the DVDs at AAFES on base were Dolph Lundgren straight to video crap.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions. Thank you for your husband's service, and yours in support of him.

'zilla

• Like 1

SOCKS new fuzzy "non NATO issue" dry socks.

And if your GUY can get internet when on land .. a link to this post on EMT city to show how much you care for him and that we do to.

btw .... Whats dirty about sex .... Happi ? LOL.

cheers