Responding to a Nuclear Detonation

From Homeland Security: Emergency Management and Response-Information Sharing and Analysis Center (EMR-ISAC):

EMR-ISAC CIP INFOGRAM 31-10 emrisac_banner.png

Emergency Management and Response

Information Sharing and Analysis Center

(EMR-ISAC)

INFOGRAM 31-10 August 5, 2010

NOTE: This INFOGRAM will be distributed weekly to provide members of the Emergency Services Sector with information concerning the protection of their critical infrastructures. For further information, contact the Emergency Management and Response- Information Sharing and Analysis Center (EMR-ISAC) at (301) 447-1325 or by e-mail at emr-isac@dhs.gov.

Planning Guidance for Nuclear Detonation

The Introduction to the “Planning Guidance for Response to a Nuclear Detonation,” (PDF, 2.6 MB) Second Edition (June 2010) states: “The purpose of this guidance is to provide emergency planners with nuclear detonation-specific response recommendations to maximize the preservation of life in the event of an urban nuclear detonation.” Upon review of this document, the Emergency Management and Response—Information Sharing and Analysis Center (EMR-ISAC) observed that the contents address the unique effects and results of a nuclear detonation such as scale of destruction, shelter and evacuation strategies, unparalleled medical demands, management of nuclear casualties, and radiation dose management concepts.

This planning guide is aimed at response activities in an environment with a severely compromised infrastructure for the first few days when it is likely that many federal resources will still be en route to the incident. Its recommendations are focused on providing express consideration of the following topics relevant to emergency planners within the first few days of a nuclear detonation: shelter and evacuation, medical care, population monitoring and decontamination, and public preparedness.

The target audiences for this document are response planners, exercise designers, and their leadership. However, the EMR-ISAC understands that emergency responders at local, regional, state, and tribal levels should also benefit in comprehending and applying this guidance.

Interim Planning Guidance for Mass Casualty Events

The Emergency Management and Response—Information Sharing and Analysis Center (EMR-ISAC) received and reviewed the interim guidance recently released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): “Preparedness and Response to a Mass Casualty Event Resulting from Terrorist Use of Explosives” (PDF, 1.2 MB). The document reflects the opinions and recommendations of a panel of experts. It includes a description of system-wide and discipline-specific challenges as well as recommended solutions to address these challenges.

According to the CDC, the purpose of this interim planning guidance is to provide valuable information and insight to help public policy and health system leaders at all levels prepare for and respond to a mass casualty event caused by terrorist use of explosives. It delivers practical information to promote comprehensive mass casualty care and offers options to consider when planning responses to disasters involving mass casualties.

“This guidance recognizes the critical role that strategic leadership can have on the success or failure of preparing for and responding to a terrorist bombing. It outlines important leadership strategies for successfully preparing for and managing incidents resulting from the terrorist use of explosives.”

DISCLAIMER of ENDORSEMENT

The U.S. Fire Administration/EMR-ISAC does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked web sites, and does not endorse the views they express or the products/services they offer.

FAIR USE NOTICE

This INFOGRAM may contain copyrighted material that was not specifically authorized by the copyright owner. EMR-ISAC personnel believe this constitutes “fair use” of copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material contained within this document for your own purposes that go beyond “fair use,” you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Reporting Notice

DHS and the FBI encourage recipients of this document to report information concerning suspicious or criminal activity to DHS and/or the FBI. The DHS National Operation Center (NOC) can be reached by telephone at 202-282-9685 or by e-mail at NOC.Fusion@dhs.gov.

The FBI regional phone numbers can be found online at www.fbi.gov/contact/fo/fo.htm.

For information affecting the private sector and critical infrastructure, contact the National Infrastructure Coordinating Center (NICC), a sub-element of the NOC. The NICC can be reached by telephone at 202-282-9201 or by e-mail at NICC@dhs.gov.

When available, each report submitted should include the date, time, location, type of activity, number of people and type of equipment used for the activity, the name of the submitting company or organization, and a designated point of contact.

Update your subscriptions, modify your password or e-mail address, or stop subscriptions at any time on your Subscriber Preferences Page. You will need to use your e-mail address to log in. If you have questions or problems with the subscription service, please contact support@govdelivery.com.

Privacy Policy | GovDelivery is providing this information on behalf of U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and may not use the information for any other purposes.

U.S. Fire Administration · U.S. Department of Homeland Security · Emmitsburg, MD 21727 · (301) 447-1325

My reason for posting is a class I took 3 months ago, where they showed a 1960s Department of Defense tape of a military ordnance Atomic Warhead, that could be launched from a 70mm Recoilless Rifle.

Herin is the video, from Youtube:

When you realize how small a device can be made, like me, you should be frightened. Even if it is a Nuclear Dispersal Device, more commonly known as a "dirty bomb", the potential is horrific.

I was talking to my young partner the other night about what we're going to do if/when the big earthquake hits Los Angeles. His response was, "I'm just going home!" My thoughts were when the communications go down and the roads become impassible we'd have to set up shop were ever we happened to be. We'd become a little Fort Apache clinic, providing some semblance of order and infrastructure, splinting, bandaging, and caring for all we could until we ran out of supplies and raiding the local pharmacy for more stuff. We'd also, I told him, have to defend our rig against marauding hordes of drug seekers and other evil doers. He just looked at me for a minute before saying, "You're f-ing nuts!"

But dirty bombs and such, I don't know. It's like contemplating how do we respond to the sun exploding, or an asteroid the size of New Jersey just hit, do we head to the scene code two or three?"

I'm all about doing my duty, but I'm drawing the line if the nukes start flying. I'm just going home . . .

:)

I'm all about doing my duty, but I'm drawing the line if the nukes start flying. I'm just going home . . .

:)

This bomb, due to size, is not going to be flying. It's going to be carried in a rolling duffel bag, or carried in a "Smart4Two" mini-car, the damn things are so small.

As for your commentary, I've several times mentioned a scenario , and the response of a London "Bobby" that used to be in EMT City. The scenario was, on a November Thursday, at local 1517 hours, a 747 on the final approach to JFK is flying too low, and strikes the tallest local building, an apartment building at 71-15 Beach Channel Drive. The building is a 14 story tall structure, including the elevator stack and water tower. The building pancakes, and debris from both the aircraft and building land on the elevated train tracks of the "A" train. Just at that moment, an "A" train, bound for Mott Avenue in Far Rockaway, comes along. The driver puts the train into "Emergency", attempting to stop, but the momentum crashes the train into the debris field, and the last 3 cars of the 9 car train derail, and fall off the "El" tracks, onto 2 full buses transporting students home from the local Junior High/Middle School, that were passing under the "El" structure at that time.

When asked what he'd do, the "Bobby" said he'd remove his uniform, and join the onlookers, that he might see what was going to happen next!

• 2 weeks later...

Just something to note, remember that a "dirty bomb" is more about mass panic than true nuclear power. They're true design is as a psychological weapon - mention the word nuclear in a highly populated area and pandemonium ensues. Resources are stretched to the max immediately, major thoroughfares become congested, infrastructure starts to fail. That's the true weapon.

That's not say that they are not dangerous, but the real danger, particularly to responders, is in the initial explosion. The nuclear products contained in a dirty bomb is going to be obtained from sources like confiscated nuclear waste products or medical labs and lack the radiation strength to have a large fallout area or have many immediate effects on people. That doesn't make radiation of any type less scary, but just realize that there is a BIG difference between a dirty briefcase bomb and military-grade weapon.

*edited for clarity

Edited by maverick56

My response to the detonation of a nuclear device is simple.

Turn around & run away screaming like a little girl.

I would like to add, peeing my pants while I run away screaming like a little girl.

• Like 1

maverick makes an excellent point.

The chances of a military grade ( 1 kiloton or above) weapon actually being aquired and detonated in a populated area are extremly low. What is highly more likely is a "dirty" bomb.

As for the damage, depending on what was used as the actual explosive, I would look twords an ANFO type, the damage can be extensive to the immediate area. Think Oklahoma City, but the radiation is localized, what is the real danger is the crowds runnning away. If they have "fallout" on them and scatter in all directions the radiation will be moved outside any containment area. Secondly unless responders have giger counters the "dirty" side wont be realized until effects become apparent. This is the biggest problem, we go running in thinking standard bomb and get a nice dose of rads before we know it.

It is a total psychological weapon and one can see the reason why terrorists would love to get their hands on it.

Two great examples of what would happen is the british movie Dirty War and a look at the history books about the Goiânia accident in Brazil. Dirty War I feel portrayed what would really happen fairly well.

Lets just hope it never happens :confused:

BTW if it happened in my response area.... :withstupid: I would drop a deuce and give a major diesel bolus in the opposite direction at code 3. Scene Safety anyone?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.