Got an interview and have questions

k_emt13

So I got an interview here in OK with EMSA. I am so excited but I have a couple things for those that have went through the process.

1. They said there would be a physical, What should I expect?

2. Did you have to go up in front of a pannel for the interview?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. I am so nervous because this is my first EMS job.

Thanks Ya'll!

So I got an interview here in OK with EMSA. I am so excited but I have a couple things for those that have went through the process.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. I am so nervous because this is my first EMS job.

Thanks Ya'll!

Any interview that I've been to that required a physical, usually involved a 'lift assessment' and a general physical. Bend over and touch your toes without bending your knees, blood pressure, lung sounds, vision assessment, etc.

As far as the interview itself, I've had to face up to 3 people in the HR office, and in one job had to do a few 'scenarios' on patient packaging, patient assessment, and even had to take a written test for one company. The scenario based testing was very similar to what we all faced in the 'practicals' for school.

When is your interview? I have a couple interviews coming up (skills and lifting test this week, face to face interview with a different company week after next), so I can let you know exactly what I will be doing in those, if that would be helpful to you (neither of the agencies are EMSA in OK)...

As far as specific interview questions, I helped with a hiring session at the EMS agency I used to volunteer with for hiring new volunteers. Mostly what we were trying to gauge was the persons critical thinking skills, and their integrity. Best advice I can think of... think of stories from your past that you are likely to be asked. One I have been asked numerous times is "tell me about a time you had a conflict with a coworker or superior and how you handled it". Find a story that shows that you thought through the situation, and learned from it. Go over your resume, it will help you seem more confident when you are talking to be able to easily talk about your previous experiences and how they can relate to EMS (and believe me, you can make any experiences relate to something else, you just have to frame it right!)

Good luck! thumbsup.gif

(sorry if this is a little jumbled, it is past my bedtime rolleyes2.gif)

Most interviews I have been to have involved the STAR method (situation/task, action, resolution) or the behavioural based type questions ... tell me about x, y oz z sort of thing.

Think of some good strong answers about why you should be hired, what value you cann add to the company and what sets you apart from other applicants. Know your history, know what the company is looking for and how you can meet that. Be confident but not arrogant.

Do lots of research and ask great questions that shows you're not just another bottom feeding suction eel who wants a paycheck

Thank you so much! Its August 24th. They do it by hiring academy's with Paramedics and EMT's. So if I get hired I will for sure be surrounded by people going through the same things that I am. I am just worried because I am fresh out of EMT class that they would want more experience. The only stuff that I do have is that I worked 2 MVA's and a code full cardiac arrest when I was in clinicals (at least those were the only exciting ones to me lol).

Thank you so much! Its August 24th. They do it by hiring academy's with Paramedics and EMT's. So if I get hired I will for sure be surrounded by people going through the same things that I am. I am just worried because I am fresh out of EMT class that they would want more experience. The only stuff that I do have is that I worked 2 MVA's and a code full cardiac arrest when I was in clinicals (at least those were the only exciting ones to me lol).

When they ask you about your experience, think beyond just the few calls you ran while on clinicals. Where did you used to work? Did you have to deal with people? That is a skill that is very useful in EMS, but can be learned in other fields. For example, I used to run a day care program for elementary school students, and because of that, I am much more comfortable dealing with pediatrics. I also had a job where I dealt with people who were drunk/ high, and again, that skill is a useful transfer to EMS. While its not great that you don't have EMS experience, you do have other experiences that you can draw from. Also, they may look at it as you have not developed any bad habits yet, since you are new.

Have you asked them what to expect from the physical? For mine, I had to lift a backboard with a partner with 250lbs, and hold it for 1 min, and then step sideways and put in on the ground, then pick it up again, and walk ~10 feet backwards, and then forwards and put it back on the cot. In my opinion, the hardest part was holding it for a min straight, since the cot was in the way of my legs, and I couldn't readjust. And the part where I fell on my bottom when crouching to put the backboard down on the ground (but they said it was ok, since I didn't drop the patient smile.gif)

If they get to the point where they ask if "you" have any questions ask the following . . .

Are your city/fire/whatever contracts so important to you that you'll throw me overboard if I make a simple mistake, or someone complains about me?

Are you the kind of company that believes EMTs are a dime a dozen and it's always better to hire new ones than nurture the current ones?

Will I be supervised by family members of the company owners, or twenty something girls with big breasts, or other assorted ass kissers who don't know shit from Shinola?

After you get your answers go get a job as a used car salesman. The hours are better, the pay is better, and you'll be a lot happier in the long run . . .

:)

When I was hired by my current employer it included a physical with my physician as well as a physical assessment known as the CPAFLA. The CPAFLA tests muscle strength (push-ups, sit-ups, lift test), endurance (including recovery rate), and dexterity (both hands if you’re an uber righty or lefty). Currently it’s only a pre-employment test but I think it’s a good enough assessment of the physical aspect of the job to be a regular (say every 2 years) assessment of employee job fitness.

My interview was an hour long with a three person panel consisting of a Unit Chief, HR Manager, and a District Superintendant. The interview format used was the STAR type already mentioned by Kiwi.

In addition to the physical and interview I also had to submit a criminal record check and driver’s abstract along with copies of my relevant qualifications.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.