Lawsuit Update - Help Needed

I agree, this is total bul**it!

Good for you for taking a stand against this. Who did this hurt? Someone posted a link. I want to barf- this caused a lawsuit???

Yet they are taking up courts time and your money - hope you have your counter claim ready- distress,lost wages, and legal fees. Ream them.

I will back you all I can, and as you can see, many others will too. Hang in there!

Chaser

Since I'm getting married in 2 weeks, I have no spare cash on hand, but... A group out of Canada may be able to be of some assistance. Look into the "Pirate Party of Canada" (http://www.pirateparty.ca). Although it started as a bit of a joke, they've become one of the big voices of Net Neutrality and may have some pointers, know some lawyers, etc... that could help out. I'd suggest getting in touch with them and seeing if they can help guide you.

On a related note, I have a good friend who is a Corporate Lawyer in Toronto (who would offer his services, but he is on retainer with a media group, so it would be a conflict of interest) who says that this could turn out to be a 10 year battle because of the currency of the issue as well as the potential for precedent setting. His suggestion (like mine) was to talk to groups who do lobby for Net Neutrality and open information sharing as they often have pro-bono lawyers who support the cause and may also throw their resources behind you because of the potential mess that this could become.

Both he and I are of the opinion that although EMT City is a means of distributing content, the liability for such content rests on the user with some liability falling on the site owner if hateful/criminal activity is allowed, condoned or encouraged. Since this is a simple copypasta "incident", he doesn't believe that you (as the owner of the site) would be the responsible party for the infringement, rather, it would be the user posting the content and your site was merely a vehicle. It could also be argued that the ISP that he used, as well as his hardware manufacturer, browser, and heck even the power bar he plugs into also aided in his copyright infringement.

I'll keep talking to the people I know in the Free Information movements to see if they have any other suggestions.

Where can I sign-up for the lifetime membership? I went to the renew button and there is no option for Lifetime member.

I assume the same rules apply to Lifetime members but we should get some recognition etc…

Can you also send a tee shirt / hat with the lifetime membership; upgrade our profile with Lifetime Member status, allow Lifetime members to post trade/swap/sale items (idk something special for us)etc...

What is the outcome of the site shutting down for various reasons such as (court ordered, server crash and you don't have funds to continue the site, you get out of EMS, etc) basically do you have a backup plan in place for someone or some entity to take over the site for you.

I will pay the Lifetime member fee but would expect to have unlimited use of EMTCity for the next 15 years because that is basically the $9.99 fee x 15.

I agree with you standing up to fight this lawsuit but just want to be assured that you have a plan should the court decide to fine you and/or shut down the site…do you have an LLC / Business License / Personal protection service for yourself and EMTCity because some YAHOO posted something they should not have posted.

By the way I checked and the word “YAHOO” has no copyright

as a lifetime sponsor you get to be a sponsor for life which includes everything on the site I believe, including classifieds.

did you also want a shirt with your sponsorship? I'd like that but not necessary.

Plus most lifetime sponsorships are based on the life of the website and not based on the life of the sponsor.

Plus most lifetime sponsorships are based on the life of the website and not based on the life of the sponsor.

Kind of like my "Life Member" status in my Volunteer Ambulance Corps. They "went under" 2 years later.

Where can I sign-up for the lifetime membership? I went to the renew button and there is no option for Lifetime member.

Click Sponsor, the option should be there.

I assume the same rules apply to Lifetime members but we should get some recognition etc…

Working on it... will change to Lifetime Sponsor soon.

Can you also send a tee shirt / hat with the lifetime membership; upgrade our profile with Lifetime Member status, allow Lifetime members to post trade/swap/sale items (idk something special for us)etc...

If you would like a shirt, I can send you one. Assuming I have the size you want left.

What is the outcome of the site shutting down for various reasons such as (court ordered, server crash and you don't have funds to continue the site, you get out of EMS, etc) basically do you have a backup plan in place for someone or some entity to take over the site for you.

If the site goes down/becomes dissolved, the lifetime membership ends. If the site was transferred to another entity, it would be up to them on how to deal with existing sponsors.

Thanks for getting back on topic:

Did a bit of research into this wrong heaven group, this is without a shadow of doubt an attack on free speech and an open scam by blood sucking lawyers, just picking on the little guys. I certainly don't see this group going after any major companies that have equal legal power.

I hope this news group goes out of business just maybe the high cost of Lawyers fees and public opinion will backfire on them. One can only hope but I for one could never support their "kind" of copyrighted ahem so called free speech.

What tangible dollar value can be placed on repeating a news story, they put it on the internet for the world to see. Should everyone that has copied a song should be thrown in prison or sued for thousands of dollars. meh.

The Lawyers argument is groundless its more like taking a picture of someones overrated domestic muscle car, its NOT like stealing the bloody car in the slightest, that is a extremely poor analogy in the first place. Why because a picture of someones car is worth ..... well ..... NOTHING!

But a link is acceptable and not considered copy right ?

Do NOT the Lawyers have to prove some sort of damages or that someone has profited ? Oh yea thats right we EMTs and Paramedics are "rolling in dough" discussing the very same topic posted in 25 other threads .... oddly enough those "quoted" news stories did not result in litigation, weird eh ?

So if I speak of an news article (with this group not mentioned by name) is that "copyrighted" or perhaps photo copy it and give it to a friend to discuss the "validity of information and a news reporters spin" in the article, should then I be sued myself ?

So If I hear a weather forecast that this (group not mentioned by name) and dare repeat it online or by phone should I take to a litigation lawyer ... first?

This absolutely and utter nonsense .... I believe a bit of vomit just came up into my mouth.

(these words are copyrighted by squint but I release them freely)

What is the world coming to, you got to ask yourself and give your head a shake in absolute disbelief but this now negatively affects EMS professionals discussing issues very pertinent to our future.

cheers

Unit 324 respond to Wrong Heaven office's (somewhere Nevada) for "Chest Pain" :phone:

Edited by tniuqs

OK, it seems like those who know the most have the least to say about this seminal event. The facts, as I see them laid out; are that there is a company whose predatory business model identifies targets for litigation and then goes to the rightholder and offers to in some way or another, either buy and or sell this information in hopes of financial reward. The whole thing does not pass my instinctive smell-test. Something smells foul and seems unseemly in this whole affair.

• Like 1