Austin EMS?

Hi everyone I'm new here and have been reading some of ya'lls post and was looking see if there were some talks about Austin EMS, but unfortunatlly I couldn't find any. I am looking forward to moving to Austin pretty soon though first I need to find a good standing job and preferably in the EMS so that way I can start my process onto becoming a flight paramedic/ flight nurse someday.

I'm currently a EMt-B and have finished the paramedic program..just have to take the NREMT-P test. Does anyone here know of a good place in Austin that hires basics or maybe a probationary period for soon to be paramedics. Also interested in search and rescue but didn't know if that was a job of just volunteer? And, will basics be able to do bike ems or bike medics instead of just paramedics?

Thanks,

Kasey

First welcome to the site.

Here is Austin Travis county website. http://atcemsce.org/home/

https://www.austincityjobs.org/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1280491592977

They have a pretty competitive hire process. Being new might be hard to get hired to do 911 initially. They only run Paramedic trucks. They do hire basics for dispatch and if hired as dispatch you have to wait a year before moving over to Paramedic if I recall correctly.

What Spenac said was pretty much spot on. Our website is at www.atcems.org, check it out. If you're about to be certified as an NREMT-P I'd apply for Austin as soon as you get your card in the mail. You won't be able to apply for an ambulance position until you are certified as either an NREMT-Paramedic or Texas paramedic. If you have to wait for whatever reason, I'd recommend Marble Falls Area EMS (not sure how easy it is to get on as a basic) or San Marcos/Hays County EMS for a little 911 experience.

Search and Rescue...we have three "rescue" trucks, the people in rescue are trained in swift/still water rescue, land rescues, high-angle/low-angle stuff, trench rescues, cave rescues...all of that stuff. We also have a tactical paramedic ambulance that gose on all APD SWAT calls, and a HAZMAT truck for all of the methyethyldeath scenarios. There's a testing process to get into rescue after you've finished the academy and cleared to independent duty. The bike medic stuff is all run by ATCEMS paramedics, unless a special event chooses to contract out to a private company like First Medical Response, AMR, or S.W.E.A.T.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• 5 months later...

Hello, I had a similiar question.

I am a 68W, combat medic /emt-b, in the army reserves but I don't have any expierence outside of training. I am new to Austin and trying to find a hosptial or some medical facility where I could volunteer and get some good expierence with real patients. I would prefer to work in hospital because I am a pre-nursing student, search and rescue sounds appealing but I wasn't sure if I would be learning more about saving people from caves and rivers rather than medically treating a patient.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.