Professional liability insurance

Hey all...been a loooong time since I've posted on here. I recently started working per diem at a hospital based service. I need to have a discussion with my supervisor regarding liability. But I'm wondering what some of you think. As paramedics do you have your own professional liability insurance?

-If so, how much do you pay annually?

-Does it protect you for gross negligence?

-Does it protect you for any gross negligence while driving?

Thanks!

I don't carry it, but several of my coworkers do. I'm not sure of the specific coverage limits or terms, but I believe the premium is something like $150.00 per year.

There has been talk here about whether or not it is a good idea, as liability insurance can sometimes play the role of attracting litigation. A 1 million dollar policy can be a pretty sweet looking carrot for the potential plaintiff.

I usually ride on my employer's insurance, but try never to do anything to get sued for. As a member of NAEMT (National Association of EMTs), one "bennie" they offer, at reduced rate, of course, is personal liability insurance. I have never availed myself of it, because my parents, who I went to for advice, felt as Fiznat just stated, that "liability insurance can sometimes play the role of attracting litigation. A 1 million dollar policy can be a pretty sweet looking carrot for the potential plaintiff."

While not a medic I do carry an insurance policy due to the fact any wacko can sue a ham sandwich now a days.

3,000,000 dollar policy I pay 75 dollars a year

HPSO

Edited by UGLyEMT

Rely on your services insurance and lawyers? :wtf2::bonk::o

They are going to do all they can to protect your service even if it means throwing you under the bus. If your service gets sued by your patient you will be sued as well whether you have insurance or not. You may have nothing but if a judgement made against you all future earnings and lottery winnings will see money taken out to pay the judgement. If you own anything liens may be placed. If you check out the insurance it is cheap because very few EMS people are sued successfully. My policy covers my attorney so I do not have to rely on the service attorney who does not have my best interests at heart.

$150+- is not much to pay to know my assets will not suffer harm if I am ever sued.

Edited by spenac

Protection

The professional liability insurance coverage available through HPSO provides coverage 24 hours a day whether you're on the job, off-duty, and even if you change jobs. Whether you are employed, self-employed or a student, this broad coverage includes the following valuable benefits:

Policy Features

• Up to $1,000,000 each claim professional liability coverage
  • Up to $3,000,000 aggregate professional liability coverage
  • Occurrence-based Coverage
  • Pays Your Defense Costs
  • Deposition Representation
  • Defendant Expense Benefit
  • License Protection
  • 24-hour coverage
Plus, you get these additional coverages, up to the applicable limits of liability, at no extra costs:

• Assault Coverage (not available in Texas)
  • Personal Liability coverage
  • Personal Injury coverage
  • First Aid Expense
  • Medical Payments
  • Damage to Property of Others

doing a quick generic application shows a medic in NJ would pay $161.68. Its cheap to have my own defense and liscense protection in my honest opinion.

Does your employer-provided insurance include license protection?

In addition to being named in a malpractice lawsuit, one of the most serious risks that healthcare professionals face is the suspension or withdrawal of their license - without which you lose your ability to work. Employers rarely provide license protection, and in fact, are often the source of the complaint. With coverage through HPSO, you will be reimbursed for your defense of disciplinary charges and other covered expenses arising out of a covered incident

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.