Thoughts on death and dying

Just Plain Ruff

Ok..well be sure to scratch off Voltaire, Thomas Paine and if you quote any Kings of France make sure it is one with a number that actually existed and even then the quote is wrong according to historical reports.

I have not come across any of those yet.

I am not truly seeking right now. I'll do it tonight or later tomorrow.

Got to get back to work. Writing education documents SUCKS

I would like to have Ruff's version come true for him... I would like Splenac's version to happen for him... I would like 4C6's Ass to glow brilliantly into the hereafter.

If you believe in the Catholic's version of God, I hope that you see Him when it is your time. If you are a Buddhist, I hope that you keep coming back until you get it right. I would want everyone to get what they expected.

I want to be rewarded for my positive traits, but at the same time made accountable for my negative ones.

The hardest thing to do is accept the world the way it is, not the way you want it to be.

Personally, I think that we are our brains. When we die, we die, and that's all there is to it. Do I want to live forever? Yes. Unfortunately, I see no reason to believe that I'm going to live forever. Just because I want it to be so does not make it so. Is my view very comforting? No. But nobody ever said life (or death) was fair, let alone comforting.

Edited by EMT-PinNEPA

The hardest thing to do is accept the world the way it is, not the way you want it to be.

Personally, I think that we are our brains. When we die, we die, and that's all there is to it. Do I want to live forever? Yes. Unfortunately, I see no reason to believe that I'm going to live forever. Just because I want it to be so does not make it so. Is my view very comforting? No. But nobody ever said life (or death) was fair, let alone comforting.

I'm in the same camp - When your brain dies you're incapable of awareness and experience, and you return to non-existence just as before you were born.

It may be a bit presumptuous to make any definitive conclusions about our world when we have yet to explain even the most obvious and fundamental aspects of the physical world.

Take care,

chbare.

My intention was to just say "Hi!", introduce myself and lurk but, of course, Death caught my eye and I had to jump in!

When I was a kid, I had what I called the "Deathfear". For a couple of years, I could barely sleep at night, obsessing until exhaustion at the thought of all of this ending! But then, one day I stopped, turned and looked death in the face. I realized that when i die, I'd be going back to where I came from in the first place. I had been there a whole lot longer than I have been or will be here, and that didn't seem to hurt me none, so going back there is nothing to fear! No kidding; grasping this simple concept saved me!

And then, I became a medic. In a nutshell, what I learned is that life in NOT the body, it RESIDES IN the body. The implication is that the human body is a vehicle that happens to go through a birth, growth, deterioration cycle and is designed to "carry" CONSCIOUSNESS ITSELF! which skips from one life form to another.

Don't you sometimes feel like a mechanism that carries around this consciousness thing somewhere at the center of your skull and you're looking out an odd window? (Clinically, a survey was done asking people to describe "where" they experienced their consciousness and their response corresponded -- as above -- to the precise location of the Pineal gland!). Doesn't your consciousness of YOU "feel" essentially the same as it did when you were a kid? You're the same old guy/gal you've always been!

That's such an amazing thing I often wonder if that just doesn't keep body-skipping, dragging an experience of "me" along with it. Don't know about you, but I find comfort in the Great Mystery.

The conudrum that tortures all of mankind. I myself have been on that doorstep and all I can say is "purple soft fuzzy pillows" don't ask me why because I have simply no idea, hypoxia will do that to you I guess ???

In part I am from the Burton Cummings "Camp" persay:

I swear there ain't no Heaven.

But I pray they ain't no Hell.

Thats the semi-agnostic part of me.

I can identify with chbare words:

It may be a bit presumptuous to make any definitive conclusions about our world when we have yet to explain even the most obvious and fundamental aspects of the physical world.

I have seen things in my mortal life that simply can not be explained and have also pondered in great depth.

I guess this falls into AKs philosophy, setting an example to his children: My Father taught me that integrity was important (to thine on self be true) and my Mother (who was committed to service of others) It would be awesome to see my Mother and Father just for a minute to tell them how much they really meant to me.

Just one thing PLEASE recycle all my body parts, corneas, valves, skin, kidneys, the organs that have not been overused that is, Liver ... well buyer be ware. :o

And send my bones to the Deserts of Israel for ASY, as I promised that my bones should be fed to the Griffin Vulture chicks so that they may soar ... my spirit would be truly honored.

cheers

Oh Oh one more thing whatever is left over ... dance on my grave guys and gals and use my stuff cause I have had some great toys :thumbsup:

Edited by tniuqs