Former Marine with Tattoos/ Miami Metro

Hello everyone, my name is Mick, I am a former Marine Infantryman. My secondary job in the Marines was as an assistant Corpsman. A task which I coveted, and took a lot of pride in. Since becoming a civilian, I have had a very difficult time adjusting. I think I've done just about every Blue Collar job there is. Yet, nothing has satisfied me. However, recently, I did some serious soul searching. During which time, I asked myself some pertinent questions. I.E- What are you good at?...What drives you?...What will make you sleep good at night? Without hesitation, I thought to myself- "Well shit, I loved helping out the Doc (Navy Corpsman). I also enjoyed patching up my fellow Jarheads, and not having to fire my weapon." Then, it all made sense to me. Why not see if I can become a Paramedic? So, I did a web search to learn more about the field and I stumbled upon the topic of Tattoos. And, in very short order, I realized that Tattoos we're greatly frowned upon. That being said, I'll cut to the chase here. I'm moving to Miami in September. I would love to take the EMT Basic and eventually work my way up to Paramedic- Yet, I am wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze. Both of my arms are sleeved with tattoos. There is nothing vulgar or suggestive about my artwork. Yet, the fact remains, that they are full of ink. My question is- Do I have A real chance at being hired in Miami with arm sleeves? I would be willing to work in the worst neighborhoods and in the worst conditions- Since, there's nothing that could really phase me at this point. I just want a god damn job! Anything over 30 Grand a year will be the most money I've ever seen. So, I won't complain like most people out there. I just want to wake in the morning with purpose, direction, and enough money to put a roof over my head and food on the table. But, I'm scared that my arm sleeve tattoos will crush my dream. Please, will someone out there in Internet Land tell me that I can be an EMT/Paramedic in the City of Miami with Arm Sleeve Tattoos.

-Mick

Edited by MickMarine

Having tattoos (that are in good/decent taste) won't instantly disqualify you from being hired. I've worked with Medics / EMTs that have full sleeves as well, so long as it's nothing offensive.

Some places might have you cover up / wear a long sleeve shirt while working. It just depends on the agency.

What has you fixed on Miami? Why not some other place, maybe even a 3rd service agency?

Edited by Linuss

You can do anything you want . . .

This fellow is a Deputy Chief with Compton Fire here in Los Angeles.

You know the drill Marine, improvise, adapt, overcome!

Marcel.jpg

Semper Fi,

NickD :)

1st Mar Div

USMC

1971 - 1975

Having tattoos (that are in good/decent taste) won't instantly disqualify you from being hired. I've worked with Medics / EMTs that have full sleeves as well, so long as it's nothing offensive.

Some places might have you cover up / wear a long sleeve shirt while working. It just depends on the agency.

What has you fixed on Miami? Why not some other place, maybe even a 3rd service agency?

Hell, I'd have zero issue with covering up. I'd wear a long sleeve shirt even if it was 90 degrees outside. The heat doesn't bother me. I also respect and understand that the Geriatric Community may be weary of my tattoos. That being said, I'd happily cover myself up to negate any problems that may arise. My only concern is in relation to the hiring process, and whether or not it my tattoos will be a determining factor for me being hired. The fact of the matter is that I grew up in the military culture. I was young, dumb, and just trying to fit in. The man I am today is a far cry from the young adrenaline junky I used to be who always tried toimpress the world (other Marines). I'm a civilian now, and I just want to quietly live my life and do the right thing. I just hope that one of the EMS agencies in Miami will recognize that and give me a chance. I'll wear a friggin turtle neck every day if it gives me job security. HA HA!!!

P.S- I'd like to work in Miami because my fiance and her family live there. Not to mention, I am addicted to fishing- and the Florida Keys are my sanctuary. It's a fisherman's paradise.

ysyy.

You can do anything you want . . .

This fellow is a Deputy Chief with Compton Fire here in Los Angeles.

You know the drill Marine, improvise, adapt, overcome!

Marcel.jpg

Semper Fi,

NickD :)

1st Mar Div

USMC

1971 - 1975

Thanks for the pep-talk Nick. I was with Alpha Company 1st Battalion 5th Marines from 93'-00'. Semper Fi brother!

• Like 1

Mick,

Like Nick D and Linuss said, tattoos aren't necessarily a ‘disqualifier’ right off the top. Since you seem so fixated on the Miami area, the best thing to do is call the H.R. Department and inquire as to what their policy on tattoos is. Base your actions on the information provided.

Part of being perceived as a professional is to LOOK professional. You could be the greatest EMT/Medic that ever got turned loose on the street, but if you present yourself looking like Charles Manson; you’re NOT going to be taken seriously as a professional.

In a lot of cases, the patient’s perception is the patient’s reality. If you present yourself in a professional manner, appear confident and you seem to know your sh*t inside and out, even if you do nothing more than administer high-flow O2; you’ll be remembered as the ‘best EMT/Medic that ever worked on that patient'. Conversely, if you can’t seem to get past the tripping over your own feet, and constantly asking what needs to be done next….you might not be instilling a great deal of confidence in your patient about your ability to treat them.

Hell, I'd have zero issue with covering up. I'd wear a long sleeve shirt even if it was 90 degrees outside. The heat doesn't bother me. I also respect and understand that the Geriatric Community may be weary of my tattoos. That being said, I'd happily cover myself up to negate any problems that may arise.

Impressive! It’s clear that you realize the priorities that are prevalent here. I’ve seen many that aren’t willing to sacrifice ‘personal comfort’ like this, in order to put the patient at ease.

When I was doing my clinical ride times for EMT-B and EMT-I, I had a pony tail, (hell, I’ve still got it at the moment). Here in the ‘deep south’, long hair on guys is generally frowned upon by the ‘old timers’. Normally I’d get asked why I wanted to look like a girl, and after explaining to them that I was growing it out for ‘the cancer kids’, the patients thought it was a noble gesture. But even then, you could still see the fact that they were a little bit apprehensive about my skill level; until they gave me a chance to ‘prove myself’ to them.

Right now, I’m still growing out the ponytail, and still working on my core classes toward my degree. Hopefully, I’ll be able continue growing it throughout the medic class. Once it comes time for applying for employment, I’ll be more than ‘willing’ to have it cut off. This shows that I’m willing to sacrifice for the job.

As far as the Deputy Chief from Compton that NickD referenced, I am not impressed with his ‘professional appearance in the slightest. He may have great skills, and may make one terrific officer; but I’m not feeling a lot of confidence in his professionalism.

I hope that these ‘fever induced ramblings’ make sense. Good luck in your quest!

LS

Mick,

Like Nick D and Linuss said, tattoos aren't necessarily a 'disqualifier' right off the top. Since you seem so fixated on the Miami area, the best thing to do is call the H.R. Department and inquire as to what their policy on tattoos is. Base your actions on the information provided.

Part of being perceived as a professional is to LOOK professional. You could be the greatest EMT/Medic that ever got turned loose on the street, but if you present yourself looking like Charles Manson; you're NOT going to be taken seriously as a professional.

In a lot of cases, the patient's perception is the patient's reality. If you present yourself in a professional manner, appear confident and you seem to know your sh*t inside and out, even if you do nothing more than administer high-flow O2; you'll be remembered as the 'best EMT/Medic that ever worked on that patient'. Conversely, if you can't seem to get past the tripping over your own feet, and constantly asking what needs to be done next….you might not be instilling a great deal of confidence in your patient about your ability to treat them.

Impressive! It's clear that you realize the priorities that are prevalent here. I've seen many that aren't willing to sacrifice 'personal comfort' like this, in order to put the patient at ease.

When I was doing my clinical ride times for EMT-B and EMT-I, I had a pony tail, (hell, I've still got it at the moment). Here in the 'deep south', long hair on guys is generally frowned upon by the 'old timers'. Normally I'd get asked why I wanted to look like a girl, and after explaining to them that I was growing it out for 'the cancer kids', the patients thought it was a noble gesture. But even then, you could still see the fact that they were a little bit apprehensive about my skill level; until they gave me a chance to 'prove myself' to them.

Right now, I'm still growing out the ponytail, and still working on my core classes toward my degree. Hopefully, I'll be able continue growing it throughout the medic class. Once it comes time for applying for employment, I'll be more than 'willing' to have it cut off. This shows that I'm willing to sacrifice for the job.

As far as the Deputy Chief from Compton that NickD referenced, I am not impressed with his 'professional appearance in the slightest. He may have great skills, and may make one terrific officer; but I'm not feeling a lot of confidence in his professionalism.

I hope that these 'fever induced ramblings' make sense. Good luck in your quest!

LS

Your post makes plenty of sense to me, and I appreciate your candor. As stated, if an agency offered employment, I would happily cover up the ol' artwork. When I was a young buck, I never thought about the cause and effect of my actions. I was the "posterboy immature" 18-25 year old. As an adult, I am fully aware of how I am perceived by many in the public eye. One's image is their first impression after all. If I had the money, I'd have them removed via lazer treatment . Mommy was right again. Ha Ha. Hopefully, my good work ethic, military bearing, and willingness to conform with a companies rules and regs will get me in the door. If not, it'll be a real bummer. But, for every choice there is a consequence. Just a little hard to swallow is all. Have a great Sunday.

Best Regards- Mick

Your post makes plenty of sense to me, and I appreciate your candor. As stated, if an agency offered employment, I would happily cover up the ol' artwork. When I was a young buck, I never thought about the cause and effect of my actions. I was the "posterboy immature" 18-25 year old. As an adult, I am fully aware of how I am perceived by many in the public eye. One's image is their first impression after all. If I had the money, I'd have them removed via lazer treatment . Mommy was right again. Ha Ha. Hopefully, my good work ethic, military bearing, and willingness to conform with a companies rules and regs will get me in the door. If not, it'll be a real bummer. But, for every choice there is a consequence. Just a little hard to swallow is all. Have a great Sunday.

Best Regards- Mick

Mick,

it is good your looking at this in a mature light. We have this issue with several new hires, and we are upfront that all tattoos must be covered.

I have had the argument that perhaps we should allow "tasteful" tatoos,or similar subjective comments. I know from personal discussions and review of other departments policies, applying subjective assessment to this issue is a mine field.

This is my personal philosophy....keeep in mind I LOVE body art, and have some (non-visible) myself. But I realized that this is not at all about freedom of expression. It is only part about getting accepted as a professional.

It is about medicine. Follow along with me here....

A key point of medicine is patient interaction. It is essential that we are able to subjectively assess our patients. If our patients fear or distrusts us...right or wrong....it interfears with our medical assessment and treatment.

And anything that erects as a barrier to our medical care must be mitigated.

Simple , huh?

Edited by croaker260

Mick.

I have recently changed my perspective on tattoo's based on the fact that they are much more socially acceptable than they used to be.

It is true that alot of elderly still assume you are a criminal or motorcycle gang member, but that is fast changing. To be honest when we interview new recruits we look at attitude as the most important factor. If you wore long sleeves to an interview and spoke how you have presented yourself here, I do not think you would have an issue. Just make sure you are upfront about the tat's by the end of the interview.

It is becoming more and more common to see piercings and tat's in the EMS workplace. You seem to be tuned into the fact that patients may be aprehensive towards you, and if you can deal with that without getting defensive then you are in my opinion, a good candidate for a job based on attitude alone.

BTW Welcome to EMTCity, this place can be a real asset throughout your education/career.

A key point of medicine is patient interaction. It is essential that we are able to subjectively assess our patients. If our patients fear or distrusts us...right or wrong....it interfears with our medical assessment and treatment.

Simple , huh?

What Croaker said. It's simple, to the point and spot on.

I appreciate the maturity you demonstrate regarding the work you've had done. I only wish others demonstrated the same good sense and willingness to do right by themselves, their employers and their patients.

Good luck in your quest.

-be safe

Mick,

it is good your looking at this in a mature light. We have this issue with several new hires, and we are upfront that all tattoos must be covered.

I have had the argument that perhaps we should allow "tasteful" tatoos,or similar subjective comments. I know from personal discussions and review of other departments policies, applying subjective assessment to this issue is a mine field.

This is my personal philosophy....keeep in mind I LOVE body art, and have some (non-visible) myself. But I realized that this is not at all about freedom of expression. It is only part about getting accepted as a professional.

Simple , huh?

Agreed. Thanks for the reply.

Mick.

I have recently changed my perspective on tattoo's based on the fact that they are much more socially acceptable than they used to be.

It is true that alot of elderly still assume you are a criminal or motorcycle gang member, but that is fast changing. To be honest when we interview new recruits we look at attitude as the most important factor. If you wore long sleeves to an interview and spoke how you have presented yourself here, I do not think you would have an issue. Just make sure you are upfront about the tat's by the end of the interview.

It is becoming more and more common to see piercings and tat's in the EMS workplace. You seem to be tuned into the fact that patients may be aprehensive towards you, and if you can deal with that without getting defensive then you are in my opinion, a good candidate for a job based on attitude alone.

BTW Welcome to EMTCity, this place can be a real asset throughout your education/career.

Thanks for the kind words man. It is appreciated, and I'll make sure to be upfront about my Tat's in the interview.

What Croaker said. It's simple, to the point and spot on.

I appreciate the maturity you demonstrate regarding the work you've had done. I only wish others demonstrated the same good sense and willingness to do right by themselves, their employers and their patients.

Good luck in your quest.

-be safe

Thank you Mike.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.