Another Black Eye For EMS

uglyEMT

A city emergency medical technician who had special access via a universal "fireman's key" has been arrested on rape and other charges in the armed sexual assaults of five women and girls since 2001, police said Wednesday.

EMT with Firemans Key Accused...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It states he worked for the fire department.......Question for anyone, was there ever a background check (DCI, FBI, CIA, whatever....) performed on you at the beginning of your EMS class. I know that even cleared personnel can go bad, but I was just wondering if your programs made the initial check manditory to take/finish the class.

In NJ the background check comes before employment. Nothing was done before or during class as far as checks went.

Even me with a DHS clearence still got a indepth check, both local PD and FBI.

Edited by UGLyEMT

In NJ the background check comes before employment. Nothing was done before or during class as far as checks went.

Its funny even me with a DHS clearence still got a indepth check

Thanks, it is usually common for the checks prior to employment. Our program does do background checks at the beginning of our EMS classes and if bad 'hits' come back, this may be a deterrant to obtaining licensure/certification from the state EMS Bureau. I was just wondering if any other programs provide the checks for EMS. I know that many Nursing programs also do the checks.

Actually there is a way around that. For my squad it is required to get a back check done with fingerprints at the local PD which i believe they send off to either State PD or FBI, many time they wave the process if you are under the age of 16 ie. cadet or explorer and when i became a full member, after cadetship and probation, they never required me to get background check or fingerprints. It is not required for EMT-b certification by the state, but it might be for high certifications or licenses. Like RNs and LPNs and Paramedics etc.

Actually there is a way around that. For my squad it is required to get a back check done with fingerprints at the local PD which i believe they send off to either State PD or FBI, many time they wave the process if you are under the age of 16 ie. cadet or explorer and when i became a full member, after cadetship and probation, they never required me to get background check or fingerprints. It is not required for EMT-b certification by the state, but it might be for high certifications or licenses. Like RNs and LPNs and Paramedics etc.

If you got yourself in trouble with the law while you were a cadet, I bet someone in your department would find out. If you keep your nose clean, and they know you've kept your nose clean, I can see how they would want to pay the fee to have a background check done on someone that is a member, has been since they were a juvenile, and just turned 18.

However, if you apply for a job in EMS, there should be a background check performed. I've never gotten a job without a background check. I couldn't even join a volunteer station without a background check being performed.

Question for anyone, was there ever a background check (DCI, FBI, CIA, whatever....) performed on you at the beginning of your EMS class.

Beginning of EMT class? Nope. Underwent a Livescan background check prior to be certified in California and a CORI check prior to being employed in Massachusetts.

As far as I recall, my VAC only checked out my driving record, after I had been in for several years, never a Police check. When I was hired by the NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation, I was checked out by the NYC Department of Investigation...after I had been working for at least a year!

If there was a background check done on me when I, and all already in the HHC EMS, was and were "grandfathered in" to the FDNY, I was not informed either that one was done, or that I had passed such testing.

This EMT was hired a good time following the merger into the FDNY, and may have had a clean record until now, simply due to not having been caught. Someone else already stated the case, that after employment, he "went bad".

(FYI, I have a copy of that key, too. Everyone at my station had one within 2 years of us becoming FDNY, but not through the department. One of the guys in a VFD/VAC made us all copies, at his expense, declining my offer, at least, for reimbursement for my copy.)

I know some schools here require a criminal record check before you do your practicum portion of your classes. Even if they don't, one is required before you write your provincial registry (Alberta College of Paramedics) exam. Passing this exam is required to work in EMS in Alberta, so at least you are checked then.

I am not sure what the changes are for new hires now that Alberta Health Services has taken over ambulance services in the province, but I know I was required to have another criminal record check when I was hired.

On a personal, non-professional note, I think if this guy in the original article gets convicted, part of his sentence should be that the families of the victims get to spend 10 minutes "out behind the barn" with him before he does any jail time. If he survives his time with the families, then he can do his jail time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.