ems in Chicago

Hi Everyone

I'm hoping some one here can answer a few questions for me. I'm a trained EMT-B in Ireland, and I'm thinking of moving abroad far a while. I have family in Chicago so was thinking of taking a ramble in that direction. just wondering if any body knows how my qualifications stand over there?

Is there a conversion course or would I have ta sit another EMT course?

The Irsh EMT skills matrix and medication list can be found on www.pheccit.ie under "clinical practice guidelines."

And what are the chances of finding a job? I know I would probably end up working for a private company. But things get complicated visa wise if I need ta sit another full time course.

Hopefully some one can shed some light on the subject for me.

Thanks a mill lads

jay

How many hours is the EMT course in your country? I have a feeling that many states have never been faced with someone from another country looking for reciprocity. If you can provide total hours, a breakdown of trauma, medical, clinical, etc., hours, and your skill set, the state may work with you.

Pharmacology-wise, you're ahead of most basics in the states in which I am familiar.

How many hours is the EMT course in your country? I have a feeling that many states have never been faced with someone from another country looking for reciprocity. If you can provide total hours, a breakdown of trauma, medical, clinical, etc., hours, and your skill set, the state may work with you.

Pharmacology-wise, you're ahead of most basics in the states in which I am familiar.

The Irish emt course is 160 (4weeks) hours class room time and 35-40 (1 week) hours on a ambulance

skills are as follows; Airway- Opa, Bvm, head tilt chin lift, cricoid pressure, jaw thrust and suctioning (NPA arnt really used here any more)

Trauma- Inline immobilization, Helmet removal, limb stabilization (ie fracture but we are not aloud reline)

Use of box splints and vacuum splints. head to toe survey, cap refill. placing px on spinal board.

Medical-auscultation of chest, IM injections 3/4 lead ecg, recognise nsr, pea, vt, vf, pvc, st, sb,asistole

assist in the normal delivery of a baby, cpr , defibulation, oxygen delivery.

Believe it or not we actual use a American book during the course "Emergency, Care and Transport of the Sick and Injured. AAOS 9th edition.

The Irish emt course is 160 (4weeks) hours class room time and 35-40 (1 week) hours on a ambulance

skills are as follows; Airway- Opa, Bvm, head tilt chin lift, cricoid pressure, jaw thrust and suctioning (NPA arnt really used here any more)

Trauma- Inline immobilization, Helmet removal, limb stabilization (ie fracture but we are not aloud reline)

Use of box splints and vacuum splints. head to toe survey, cap refill. placing px on spinal board.

Medical-auscultation of chest, IM injections 3/4 lead ecg, recognise nsr, pea, vt, vf, pvc, st, sb,asistole

assist in the normal delivery of a baby, cpr , defibulation, oxygen delivery.

Believe it or not we actual use a American book during the course "Emergency, Care and Transport of the Sick and Injured. AAOS 9th edition.

I bet with proper documentation, the state may be willing to work with you. Certain states refuse to accommodate anyone that doesn't meet their standards, but if you continue to search I bet you'll find at least one (hopefully Illinois) that will help you.

Your class is longer then the traditional EMT program in the US. The course is 120 hours here, and most students only get 8 hours of ER time and 8 hours of a ride along. Many classes use that particular EMT book.

Good luck, I hope they are able work with you.

Cheers for all the help lads, sent off a good lot of e-mails to different people and departments so hopefully they will get back to me soon. I will let ye know how I get on.

Thanks a mill

Jay

Edited by jjslinkey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.