Considering EMT

toby

Hello out there,

I am a 45 year old woman. I have spent the last 25 years in the music business recording, producing and mixing music. My career remains good but I have a desire to be skilled at something else. I keep coming back to the idea of becoming certified as and EMT and perhaps then a Paramedic. I've never spoken to a Paramedic or EMT and I have many questions. I don't want to abandon my current career but I think I need to be prepared to have some other meaningful skill. I've looked into several training options and there are many possibilities. I have the ability to focus intensely for extended periods of time and work very well under pressure. Music business to Paramedic is a complete non-sequetor but it may be just right for me. Is there an EMT or Paramedic that would like to converse with me about this line of work?

Thanks!

Toby,

I'd be more than happy to converse with you. A little about myself...I'm 45 and just finished the paramedic program and now have a full time position in a rural setting, in addition to teaching on the side...AND I LOVE IT. My past life?

I coordinated and managed special events for corporations.

Send me a PM. Look forward to hearing from you.

Toni (aka tcripp)

Toby,

I would be more than happy to chat with you! I have been a Firefighter/AEMT for 10 years. You can either email me at groovyfirechick@gmail.com or reply back here. I am watching the topic. I commend you for starting down another career path at this point in your life!

Meri (FireMedicChick164)

Toby,

First off, welcome to the City!

You'll find a bunch of people on this site that are more than happy to talk about what we do. But be forewarned, the majority of us aren't going to blow smoke up your skirt and make EMS sound more glamorous than it is. We WILL tell you the 'truth' about it though!

A bit about me:

I'm a 46 year old Paramedic student, working on an Associate's Degree. I was licensed in another state for 12 years, until circumstances beyond my control caused my license to expire. I've also worked for 15 years as a Firefighter, and also worked for a good number of years in the industrial/manufacturing arena.

Hey Toby,

I can totally relate, but in a somewhat different way. . . I have been an EMT-I for 13 years, volunteered as an EMT/Firefighter for several years while working for 6 years in a city system, and did 2 years as a tactical medic and instructor, and entered a MIC-Paramedic course with the intention of advancing to PA school to hopefully end up in a flight or clinical cardiology setting, but was offered a full time national touring gig, so I toured as a drummer with a Christian rock band for 5 years. . . I've been drumming since I was 4, and have always played in local bands, but really wanted to tour. . . the road and studio time were amazing and I miss being out there. . . but now I'm newly married and settling down is on the menu, so it's back to EMS for me. . . anyway, it's not that obvious, but the two careers can be very complimentary in approach and mindset. . .

I'll be glad to answer any questions you have and offer any advice or experience I can that might help. . . Feel free to e-mail me at tacmedic991@yahoo.com. . .

EMS is an amazing profession, even (especially) if it's volunteer. . .

Good luck!

Wes (tacmedic991)

<br>Hello out there,<br><br>I am a 45 year old woman.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have spent the last 25 years in the music business recording, producing and mixing music.&nbsp;&nbsp;My career remains good but I have a desire to be skilled at something else.&nbsp;&nbsp; I keep coming back to the idea of becoming certified as and EMT and perhaps then a Paramedic.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've never spoken to a Paramedic or EMT and I have many questions.&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't want to abandon my current career but I think I need to be prepared to have some other meaningful skill.&nbsp;&nbsp; I've looked into several training options and there are many possibilities.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have the ability to focus intensely for extended periods of time and work very well under pressure.&nbsp;&nbsp;Music business to Paramedic is a complete non-sequetor but it may be just right for me.&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there an EMT or Paramedic that would like to converse with me about this line of work?<br><br>Thanks!<br>
<div><br></div><div>Hey Toby. Welcome to the City. I'd would like to mention to you, though you didn't ask for it specifically, and the others that have replied, that this is an education forum. You've asked a great question, but one that shouldn't be moved to private conversation. Why not keep this discussion in open forum so that others with the same question can learn from it?</div><div><br></div><div>The issue isn't so much whether or not you'd like to work under pressure, as do you want to participate in the profession or just be another wanker?</div><div><br></div><div>Ask your questions brother, participate, let us know what others like you think...let's not do that in private. The soul of EMS is for others to learn from your experience. Please don't cheat others out of our experience.</div><div><br></div><div>Dwayne.<br><br><br>

</div>

Interesting. I started out to become a music teacher, but ended up in a now 37 year career as an EMT. I am also in the process of leaving the EMS world on a 3/4 medical disability retirement, at age 56.

Ask your questions, but please realize, at least for myself, I will probably respond more to specific questions than general ones, and also will be doing such answers from knowledge and personal feelings, before I quote the textbooks. I will label each component as such, too, that you can tell the difference.

Back in 1973, I was told I was too young to drive the ambulance, but had to become an EMT. "What's a EMT?" I asked, in all innocence. Now I is one! (LOL)

Hi Toni,

Thanks for writing back. I was surprised by how many responses I got. I realize that I'll have to become certified as an EMT-B first and I assume that the experience will enable me to decide if I can actually handle dealing with human beings who are hurt or ill. As simple as that sounds, I've never dealt with injury other than my young sons "boo boos". I also understand that a Paramedic and an EMT are different certifications, the former requiring much more training. I'm not looking to make a bunch of money, obviously, but I no longer want my life to consist only of self-centered musicians and their needy ridiculous whining. Sounds jaded. Not completely. I'll continue to make records but I keep coming back to this idea. What are your hours like? If I might ask, how are you paid? Hourly? Salary? Are you in an ambulance or with a hospital? Are EMT-B the "assistants" of the Paramedics? I have so many questions, but I'll leave it at this for now. Look forward to hearing back. Also, I'm just figuring out how this site works, so bear with me.

Sincerely,

Trina Shoemaker

Franklin Tennessee

Toby,

I'd be more than happy to converse with you. A little about myself...I'm 45 and just finished the paramedic program and now have a full time position in a rural setting, in addition to teaching on the side...AND I LOVE IT. My past life?

I coordinated and managed special events for corporations.

Send me a PM. Look forward to hearing from you.

Toni (aka tcripp)

Hi Meri,

Thanks so much for responding. It would be great to chat. I didn't expect to get such positive response, especially from so many women my age. This is very encouraging. I have to take my 5 year old son to Karate, but I'll email you later today or tomorrow. Again, I really appreciate the support.

Sincerely,

Trina Shoemaker

Franklin, Tennessee

Toby,

I would be more than happy to chat with you! I have been a Firefighter/AEMT for 10 years. You can either email me at groovyfirechick@gmail.com or reply back here. I am watching the topic. I commend you for starting down another career path at this point in your life!

Meri (FireMedicChick164)

Thanks for responding. The truth is all I'm interested in. I understand that although I work well under pressure, the type of pressure I'm used to, i.e, a very upset guitar player who doesn't like the solo, will prepare me in no way for an injured or very ill human being. I also understand that I must begin the process by becoming a certified EMT-B. This training is relatively inexpensive and possible. I hope it will enable me to decide if I can handle this line of work. But what is one of your days like while you're working? If I succeed in becoming an EMT or further a Paramedic, is part time work ever available? So many questions, but I'll leave it here for now.

Most sincerely,

Trina Shoemaker

Franklin, TN

Toby,

First off, welcome to the City!

You'll find a bunch of people on this site that are more than happy to talk about what we do. But be forewarned, the majority of us aren't going to blow smoke up your skirt and make EMS sound more glamorous than it is. We WILL tell you the 'truth' about it though!

A bit about me:

I'm a 46 year old Paramedic student, working on an Associate's Degree. I was licensed in another state for 12 years, until circumstances beyond my control caused my license to expire. I've also worked for 15 years as a Firefighter, and also worked for a good number of years in the industrial/manufacturing arena.

Thank you for your response, Dwayne. I'm very happy to keep these "conversations" in the open forum. Please forgive my ignorance of this process. I've never joined a forum before. If I proceed with certification as an EMT-B, a process which hopefully show me whether or not I'm able to handle this type of work, I would want to be part of this profession to my fullest capacity. I definitely don't want to be a wanker. When, way back in the 1980's, I started my path to become a recording engineer, there were no women. I was told it was ridiculous for me to try. I carved my career out of granite. Now, 25 years and 3 Grammy Awards later, I would give the same kind of intense focus to being a quality EMT or possibly a full Paramedic. I would like to understand what are the differences between EMT-B, EMT-I and Paramedic. Not specifically the training involved, but out there in the working world?

Most sincerely,

Trina Shoemaker

Franklin, TN

<div><br></div><div>Hey Toby. Welcome to the City. I'd would like to mention to you, though you didn't ask for it specifically, and the others that have replied, that this is an education forum. You've asked a great question, but one that shouldn't be moved to private conversation. Why not keep this discussion in open forum so that others with the same question can learn from it?</div><div><br></div><div>The issue isn't so much whether or not you'd like to work under pressure, as do you want to participate in the profession or just be another wanker?</div><div><br></div><div>Ask your questions brother, participate, let us know what others like you think...let's not do that in private. The soul of EMS is for others to learn from your experience. Please don't cheat others out of our experience.</div><div><br></div><div>Dwayne.<br><br><br>

</div>

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.