Am I Crazy?

Hello. I'm new to the forum, and after reading with interest a number of the threads regarding the certification process, I've decided to ask for some of the members' input.

Here's the deal:

I've got a year of education benefits left over from the VA that I have to use or lose. I've got several years left before I lose them, but I don't want to wait, as us vets never know when Congress might change their mind.

After thinking for a while about how to use them, I had settled on getting my EMT-B, and as I began to learn more about things, decided I might also pursue a full Paramedic certification. The thing is, I really don't foresee myself working for a FD or anything, I've already got a career as an IT consultant that is going well.

The reason I wanted to pursue the certs is because I'm involved in a number of volunteer organizations where there is either elevated risk of injury, or we're required to have one, or in some cases to be one (EMT, I mean). I also have found myself in the role of first responder more times than I can count and have been myself wishing I had more training than my military first aid and an OSHA style First Aid and CPR cert.

So, the question is: Am I nuts? It wont cost me any money, or at least not much, but I have no plans to pursue a career in the field. I realize there are continuing education requirements and certification renewals involved, is there something else, perhaps mandatory experience, that I'm missing?

I appreciate your [gentle] comments.

Thanks.

You don't have to work for a fire department, there are plenty of ambulance services that operate solely. If it's something that you want to do with your life, do it.

First of all I would like to welcome you to the city.

Getting your B will be a good start to see if you like what you are thinking about. Or even see if you can sit in a class to check it out. If you like your job and don't want to pursue EMS as a career, you can always volunteer with SAR (search and rescue) and use your skills like that to help when needed. Also I am SURE your local red cross is needing volunteers to help with disasters and the like.

If you like it you will know REALLY fast. If it is not for you you will know that as well. It is several factors for all of us on here who do it. From First Responders to paramedics to Nurses and ER docs. It is a passion, it lives inside of you. You will know the first time you REALLY helps someone. Not someone with a nosebleed or stubbed toe. I just started a new job a few days ago working on a mountain. It became worth it when my pt told me I was her angel. You had to be there. Also read my post on my first day. You will understand a bit more. It meant the world to me. Something I will NEVER forget!! It is the little things!.

Good luck on your decision. Keep posting. Do not be afraid to ask questions. And once again Welcome!!

You can easily obtain EMT-B credentials and that should be all the first aide you need. If you are happy with the IT career, do not waste a golden educational opportunity on something you do not need or even want by the sound of it. You may as well invest a free year of education toward obtaining a college degree in a field you either like or a field that will enhance your career in IT.

Take care,

chbare.

Paramedic school will not offer you what you are looking for. The EMT class will be sufficient for your needs if you are taking it to become proficient in handling injuries in your volunteer groups as a layman. You will never use the knowledge or procedural skills from paramedic school again without working in an ALS system, and these skills rapidly atrophy. You will not be forming field impressions (read: diagnosis) and treating with medication and invasive procedures as a layman, so you will have wasted a year of your life completing a paramedic program just to learn first aid when an EMT class will be more then enough for you. As a layman, some of the EMT scope will not even be available to you while working alone.

Edited by daedalus

Thank you all for your posts. I had been continuing my research in the meantime, and think that I will go with the EMT-B for now. I agree that going for Paramedic is not in line with my goals. I'm near Valencia, which I've seen several posters here say is a good place to go, so I'll contact them.

And, for the record the reason I wanted the EMT-B and maybe more was, in fact, for SAR. I've been involved in some level since my teenage years. After a couple years hiatus I'm getting back into it. We recently had a little girl wander off into the woods down here who was ultimately rescued, but because of the terrain most of the groups that I've been involved with were not allowed to participate. I'm looking to get involved with some of the other groups, the ones associated with the Sheriff's Office, and for that the EMT-B was strongly encouraged.

I also go on an extended backpacking trip once a year, usually alone, and always to very remote areas. Thank God I've never needed it, but I've always taken emergency items, including medical, but felt I lacked the advanced training that might make the difference.

Thanks again for all your kind posts. Oh, and Cyber Ninja was completely random, actually, but I like it too.

Yes.

...says the elephant keeper...

By the way, is EMT-I a real thing? I see that it's mentioned by the NREMT, but looking on my state's (Florida) Health Services website I see no mention of it. I understand it's Intermediate, but what are the real differences, and, keeping in mind my intentions outlined above, would it be worth it for me?

Thanks.

Edited by Cyber Ninja

EMT-I is essentially a basic with additional training. The extent and depth of this training varies significantly from state to state. To perform skills beyond basic modalities, you will need to have a relationship with a service or provider and have a physician medical director.

Intermediate would not be that helpful for you.

Take care,

chbare.

EMT-I is essentially a basic with additional training. The extent and depth of this training varies significantly from state to state. To perform skills beyond basic modalities, you will need to have a relationship with a service or provider and have a physician medical director.

Intermediate would not be that helpful for you.

Take care,

chbare.

Thanks. That makes sense.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.