Student Q, regading Uniform

pj2

Just a quick question, for Victorian Paramedics and students

As a first year paramedic student, do you have student paramedic epaulettes on your uniform ?

We (first year students )have not been told

Just a quick question, for Victorian Paramedics and students

As a first year paramedic student, do you have student paramedic epaulettes on your uniform ?

We (first year students )have not been told

Do you mean as a student paramedic with VIC UNI or Monash or as a student with AV?

I think you as a uni student. The eppaulettes worn by uni students are not a reflection of rank, merely that you are a uni student. Yours say "paramedic student" which i find misleading / deceptive, and far prefer the CSU method of not having a uniform that identifies you anyway as an ambulance officer or paramedic, have had issues at more than one scene because of this.

If you mean as a student with AV the answer is still yes, though what it is depends on weather you are a graduate or still completing your degree. If you have graduated you will have a blue line and a blue cadeuces for the first six months and then a blue cadeucues and the words "graduate paramedic". If you have not finished your degree, you will have a sibngle blue line and after six months you will have 3 blue lines.

The reason for changes in eppaullettes at 6 months is the time in which you go from being "dependent" and work exlusively with instructors and are audited case by case, to being dependent where you work with qualified paramedics whoa are not instructors and you are audited monthly.

at least, thats how its supposed to be

hope this helps

Hope this is what your after.

Edited by BushyFromOz

I still have my green VU overalls with yellow 'student paramedic' epaulets. They should have been issued with the overalls and with the sexy yellow pants, yellow tabard and white hard hat lol

I still have my green VU overalls with yellow 'student paramedic' epaulets. They should have been issued with the overalls and with the sexy yellow pants, yellow tabard and white hard hat lol

I so want those epaulettes - they mean NO RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Another student question, a bit off topic (not about uniform).

Can anyone tell me what is happening with the VU 2nd Year Intake 'program' at the moment ?

Was this year the first year that they did this ?

Will it continue in the future ? Bear in mind that I am only a 1st year at the moment . So I thinking for the year after next.

If you want send a PM to keep private etc

Thanks for your help

• 4 months later...

Another student question, a bit off topic (not about uniform).

Can anyone tell me what is happening with the VU 2nd Year Intake 'program' at the moment ?

Was this year the first year that they did this ?

Will it continue in the future ? Bear in mind that I am only a 1st year at the moment . So I thinking for the year after next.

If you want send a PM to keep private etc

Thanks for your help

Hey pj2,

Sorry to bump this

but as you may already be aware (at least according to the Herald Sun), the VU program has been yanked due to funding. I may be a student from another uni but I 100% agree with the withdrawal of the program, not for AV's sake, not for the Government's sake, not for the patient's sake but for the student's sake.

The only way the program could work is by if you were sent to a rural branch with the least amount of cases per week so you would be in essence sitting at the branch being paid to sudy. It is already hard enough for Qualified Ambulance Paramedics to work full time and burn out is rife among them (unfortunately) but for a Student Paramedic to work full time and study part time with minimum rest time, it's not an easy thing and it shows, with my sources (not from uni but from paramedics I know from outside my uni) telling me it's a shame because a whole heap are being performanced managed with the threat that if they don't do 100% in the job and don't pass the degree, they will be terminated. That being said, if it were still offered, it would be the best option to not do it because of the reasons above.

This was not the first year it was run, it was running for 2-3 years before 2010, I believe.

All the best

feel free to pm me or reply with more questions

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.