:thumbsup:does ayone have any information on how the iPAD can be used for education purposes in tertiary paramedic education

Same as any other iPhone/iPod ap, it is just a big iPod touch screen after all.....

Same as any other iPhone/iPod ap, it is just a big iPod touch screen after all.....

Honestly, the biggest thing that tertiary ed students here need at the moment is not technically, cinically or even science based.

They need an attitude / reality check before they come onto the road!

Honestly, the biggest thing that tertiary ed students here need at the moment is not technically, cinically or even science based.

They need an attitude / reality check before they come onto the road!

Touche!!!!!!!!!

Even when they do their road time an attitude adjustment is needed for some

Touche!!!!!!!!!

Even when they do their road time an attitude adjustment is needed for some

seriously, sometimes i just want to hide and deny i came through the tertiary system.

I use my iPad in the following way:

I make my presentations with an app known as keynote. Then, I can email the presentation to the students as an Adobe PDF file. If need be I can export as a ppt file. In addition I have an adaptor that allows me to connect to a VGA cord and projector to deliver the presentation off the iPad.

However, my presentations are just a rough template and most of my presentations involve class interaction and me going crazy on the chaulk board.

Recently, I've been approached by the college to help them create an online refresher course for paramedics. However, they specifically wanted a course that met the standards but presented totally different material for a fresh feel. Therefore, I've had the freedom to produce lectures covering pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and an introduction to ventilator management.

After I completed the slides on keynote, I went in and exported into a ppt file. Following that, I recorded narration for each slide. The finished product will have students logging in to blackboard and doing the lecture online with the added benefit of having each slide narrated.

Take care,

chbare.

We have to use a program called CompTracker which runs on the iPod touch and iPad to keep track of our skills during clinical, coursework and road practicums. Interfaces with a website showing what PCR we have the skills attached to, a signature from our preceptor and required skills remaining and completed.

• 9 months later...

Here is an idea not only for ipad but for any cell phone that everyone has. If you go to http://www.polleverywhere.com/, you can sign up and as long as you have less than 30 people in the class, you can use an "online polling system" to ask questions that students must actively answer. If you have less than 30 students you can use this free. Its kind of neat and students seem to enjoy the connection of answering questions with their phones via a text message. I had the opportunity of using the clicker system before and it was the same concept. I do instructing in a small service and the money is just not there to spend on such things. I thought that was a good alternative if its practical in your program.

technology is good.. but all these medical apps take away from actually having to learn the stuff. I feel these are BAD for students unless they have the text from books in them and are used to study from. using apps and such on calls for info on how to do things would be bad/useless way of learning.

technology is good.. but all these medical apps take away from actually having to learn the stuff. I feel these are BAD for students unless they have the text from books in them and are used to study from. using apps and such on calls for info on how to do things would be bad/useless way of learning.

I think there is a place for apps. However, it is not a substitute for a student learning the material. There are apps that encourage people to study etc. Its all about balance.