ECG Help Please

Hi from the UK,

I know probably this is the wrong place but I have been searching the net for ecg information.

I won't go into the long story here but for years I have had on and off problems with fast heart rate tachycardia. I also have angina which I use the nitro spray when needed and I take 10mg Amlodipine daily which I have been taking for nearly 2 years.

Anyway the last time I was in hospital they again setup some more tests a treadmill which they never really told me if it was okay or not and an echo cardiogram which I was told was okay. I wore a 24 hour monitor and the results from that the doctor just said I should go see him when I am having the problem as something showed up but he needed me there when it was happening.

Since my last time in hospital around 7 months ago, about a month after I started to get what I can only describe as fluttering and something like a feeling moving up in my chest and breathless with it when it is at it's worst. It's gradually got worse and the fluttering is more or less here everyday now sometimes a lot worse than others.

I had a talk with my doctor about it over the phone who suggested that I get a personal type ecg monitor which I now have and have started to use after he showed me how to use it properly. I have to take copies of ecgs I have done from it back to him later next week. I thought that I might share them here to see if any of you could shed some light onto the ECG readings I have attached here. I have removed my full name for obvious reasons but all my other info on it is correct. Thank you for your time.

Did this earlier evening when I had no fluttering feelings.

post-25452-040708300 1278127854_thumb.jp

Did this early evening before I setup the time and date on ecg. I got a pain in middle of my chest on and off for a few minutes so thought I would do a trace and here it is, no flutter feelings.

post-25452-034815400 1278128012_thumb.jp

This is also when I got the pain but no flutter feelings so carried on another trace. Year is wrong again because I had not set the year and time.

post-25452-012889400 1278128119_thumb.jp

This one was done when I was feeling the fluttering.

post-25452-016054600 1278128213_thumb.jp

Slight flutter feeling on this one I had.

post-25452-004988300 1278128333_thumb.jp

The replies here are probably going to echo those on another forum you posted on, in that nobody should be giving out medical advice on these types of forums. Your doctor is the best person to be discussing this with.

The attached files show very little anyway (as do all 3-lead tracings), but what can be said, is that it shows a normal rhythm, a normal rate, with occasional artifact and wandering baseline, due to movement / breathing.

Sorry, but you are definitely looking in all the wrong places for advice.

That isn't from one of those devices you can buy for $50 on eBay, is it? I know many doctors that will tell patients the worst thing they can do is self diagnose with home medical books, electronic BP cuffs - we've all had calls b/c they were drastically wrong. I can't see personal ECG's being any different.If the doctor is deeply concerned, they should go through proper measures.

Edited by 4c6

Having self diagnosed my self into paranoia I would offer this advise. Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff. Asking people for medical advise with this little information is a sure fire way to get bad advice. If you feel ill go see your doctor if you can't take your self call a ambulance.

• Like 1

The replies here are probably going to echo those on another forum you posted on, in that nobody should be giving out medical advice on these types of forums. Your doctor is the best person to be discussing this with.

The attached files show very little anyway (as do all 3-lead tracings), but what can be said, is that it shows a normal rhythm, a normal rate, with occasional artifact and wandering baseline, due to movement / breathing.

Sorry, but you are definitely looking in all the wrong places for advice.

Totally agree with all of the above.. the only thing I want to add is on the strip where you state you feel fluttery, you are throwing the occasional PVC.... innocuous in most cases. If you dont trust what your doctors are telling you, find a doctor you do trust.

I don't even know what leads I am looking at, and saw what looked like one PVC in the entire set of strips. I will tell you that I get fluttering in my chest all the time, the cause of which is the occasional PVC as seen on holters (I have congenital heart disease so I am monitored carefully for any chest complaints) I have had done. Worse with stress, lack of sleep, caffeine, and chocolate. Bothersome but quite benign in my case. Probably yours as well.

You may want to look at the provoking factors I listed above and see if those apply to you, and what you can do to cut down on coffee/energy drinks/soda, try and get a good nights sleep, and use stress reduction techniques (I exercise and meditate). Normal hearts are sensitive to these things, however yours might be more so because of your coronary artery disease.

Edited by daedalus

I don't believe there are leads involved, it's likely similar technology to a pulse ox, where you put a finger or fingers on a small sensor. I know with hand-held EKG's, if you move at all, it looks like you're on death's doorstep.

Edited by 4c6

My advice is to not smoke, eat healthy, get good rest and try to live as low stress as possible. Then again, this is good advice for anybody. I also think that (like everybody else) you should go see a doc. I would be more inclined to offer an opinion if I could see a 10 minute interval 12 lead, pre, during and post incident. There is no substitute for a good 'ol visit to the doctors office.

Keep in mind... I could make a diagnosis and suggest a course of treatment... and I also could just be the Janitor at an EMS station.

ok, first thing first, STop do not pass go and do not ask for medical advice here on this forum or any other. You are asking for trouble.

If you continue to ask for medical advice and coming here makes me think you are not truly talking to your doctor, then I will not feel sorry for you when something does go wrong that your doctor could have fixed or at least been aware of.

Now if you have exhausted all your steps with your doctor, then I take back the above.

But seriously, have you been to a general practitioner or have you been to a cardiologist. I used to work for a hospital who did treadmills all the time, adenosine stress tests all the time and we didn't have a cardiologist on staff, just a physician who knew a crap load about cardiology but sent any patient with chest pain to the city even though that doctor could have treated his condition at our hospital.

So, get your rear in gear and go see a different cardiologist or go see an actual cardiologist. The fluttering feeling is telling you something. It might be benign or it could be the death of you with the fluttering signalling the beginning of a irreversable cardiac event.

You never know what is going on and the services of a qualified medical professional is so much more valuable then a bunch of guys and gals from a website that you know nothing about their qualifications, their knowledge base or their motives.

You could get someone with the best intentions and then again, you could get someone to PM you with some nasty intentions to lead you astray.

If you choose to rely on what our collective knowledge gives you, then you make your own bed and choose to lie in it.

So what I'm trying to tell you is, Don't listen to us, go to a cardioligist and get your information from them.

Remember a lawyer who defends himself has a fool for a client and a patient who treats themselves with this type of illness has a undertaker in their future.

Edited by Ruffems

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.