I got an Interview!

Gypsy

Thats great Gypsy. I know how bad it was to get that interview. Glad its all working out and will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you that it all works out.

Dont forget to light the green candle :devilish:

It is even better that it works with the nursing course schedule. Thats a big bonus.

a little Viking Kittens to help with the happy dance :punk:

Edited by UGLyEMT

Ok so now that I am ALOT calmer and can type without bouncing in my seat. One of the jobs I had applied for months ago was for transporter. Now for those that haven't talked to me in the chat room this hospital is the hospital in Tampa. It runs almost all the medical buildings in the bay area. So ya it's made it very hard for me to get a job. I had kindof lost hope. From what I've been told they get about 800 applications per job. Most don't get looked at and they get to be as picky as they want. If you don't have everything they are looking for then don't hold your breath.

The fact they actually called me yesterday just about sent me into shock. It's not the greatest shift in the world which might be why I'm one of the lucky ones to get a call back . It's 3 days a week including 16hour shifts on Saturday and Sundays. (Monster Java Irish Creams might become my best friend again.) It will also work beautifully with my school schedule for the prerecs I enrolled in for nursing.

So OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. :: dances around the room:::punk::jump::thumbsup:

Congrats, Gypsy! You will learn tons while working in a hospital. Be eager to learn, keep your eyes peeled, and you will be amazed by what you can pick up. Obviously much of what you see is not directly applicable to prehospital care, but it IS knowledge, and the more you know about health care in general, the better provider you will be. When I started in EMS, I was working at 2-3 hospitals AND on the streets. I was able to explain how an angiogram, CT, MRI, echocardiogram, ultrasound exam, etc works. I was able to explain the whole admissions process to the patient- tests, evaluations, and approximately how long things would take. It was amazing how relieved folks would be once they had some idea of what may happen to them next. It's a scary process and a fear of the unknown is a major factor in how people view their health care experience as well as their attitude towards their recovery.

You will be able to explain to a patient or family member what will happen to the patient once we drop them off at an ER- which tests they may take, which procedures they may need, how those procedures are conducted, etc- it's an invaluable bit of information. Many- especially those who are not regulars in the health care system are afraid- they have no idea what will happen to them once they become patients. Being able to ease their minds is just as important as any procedure or skill we perform in the field.

If you show a willingness to learn, you will be amazed at how happy many docs are to explain things to you and even have you assist in things you would not normally be exposed to. Obviously it depends on what you specific job is, but I've had some amazing experiences working in ER's and a Level 1 trauma center. I've been able to hold a human heart, place chest tubes- with assistance, of course, learn to suture, learned how to place Foley's and NG tubes, learned how to do gastric lavages and DPL's- (diagnostic peritoneal lavages), all experiences I will never forget. I learned how the blood bank system works, how hematology runs the blood for lab work, and how to interpret results.

Who knows where this job may lead for you. It may well open doors you never even considered.

Best of luck.

Thats great Gypsy. I know how bad it was to get that interview. Glad its all working out and will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you that it all works out.

Dont forget to light the green candle :devilish:

It is even better that it works with the nursing course schedule. Thats a big bonus.

a little Viking Kittens to help with the happy dance :punk:

OH I forgot the green candle! I have my God/dess and universe ones lit I forgot green. wow it's been too long.

Herbie: OH ya I plan on being open for anything. This job is for transporter so running people around the radialogy wing I think... Not even sure right now. I don't honestly care where it's at. No matter where I get to go I'll be learning.

Currently trying not to cry... I went in feeling great. Interview went awesome. Spoke with both HR and the manager for the radiology department. The Manager even said she had seen my file and asked for it to be pulled and have me called in. Remembered my name and whole nine yards. They even gave me the orientation packet and uniform requirements.

I get home make calls to family and my phone goes off. It's HR. So I'm thinking, "WOOT!". Ya... someone from another hospital just called and wanted to transfer locations... He has the job. :: sighs and cries:: They asked if I wanted my file to be kept for a future opening I told them yes. The woman from HR said I was well liked and would have gotten it but the other guy has the experiance which gave him the edge... oh well.

Off to curl up with some ice cream and hubby.

Aww hun I am so sorry. I was able to "feel" the excitement in your post. I am sorry to hear that you were chosen but had to give it up. That sucks!! Look on the bright side you are next for the upcoming opening.

Ouch. That never feels good! Sucks to get beat out by "experience." Hang in there! The right job will click for you soon!! :)

Getting passed over sucks big time, but look on the bright side here just for a moment....

You made enough of an impression for them to remember your name and call you in for another interview. You made a good impression during the interview that the next opening that comes along, your name will be remembered again.

Name recognition goes a long way in the hiring and interview process. You've been 'remembered' out of all the applicants that have filled out the paperwork, so you've got a 'foot in the door' on the next opening.

I know it doesn't seem like it now, but this can work to your benefit. Don't give up and don't give in to depression!

LS

• Like 1