2 Tampa Florida officers shot - 1 dead

On a routine car stop in Tampa while trying to arrest a subject two Tampa Florida police officers were shot.

1 has since passed away and the other is on life support and is not expected to survive.

The suspect is currently being sought in a city wide manhunt.

The dead officer leaves a wife who is 9 months pregnant.

The 2nd officer has a wife and 5 kids. I know the youngest one is 8 months old.

Please keep the families of those involved in your thoughts as well as the entire emergency response community in your thoughts.

Also hope for a quick apprehension of this subject who shot them. Hopefully he won't get shot himself but then again, anyone who kills someone just for doing their job so they can get away is the lowest of the low.

the second officer passed away at 11:30am June 29 :cry:

suspects are still at large :angry:

"Police were searching for a red 1994 Toyota Camry connected to the shooting and an African-American male and female, McElroy said. The male was described as being in his mid- to late 20s, about 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighing about 150 to 170 pounds. He is thought to be wearing brown shorts, a white T-shirt, a black vest and white sneakers, police said. No detailed description was available on the woman." per news article

at least some good comes from this sensless violence...

"Doctors have pronounced Officer David Curtis deceased," Tampa police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said in a statement. "His family has chosen to harvest his organs so he will remain on life support for the next couple of hours while that takes place." "

Edited by UGLyEMT

Out of death comes life. The 2nd officer who passed away this morning will be kept on life support until his organs can be harvested. Out of death comes life.

It appears that the suspect(s) shot the officers and then ran them over with the car when the female drove away. The male suspect took off on foot.

they know who did this because the officers already ran the guy and girl for warrants and found a outstanding bench warrant on the guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the suspect doesn't make it to the police station.

The entire state of Florida is looking for these two pillars of society.

I wouldn't be surprised if the suspect doesn't make it to the police station.

Their safest bet would be to surrender to a station. If they are found in the streets its a game over for them.

It really is a sad day :( Both these men leaving behind families and the one's wife is due next week. He never got to see his child :( :( Killing these two officers for a bench warrent!!! These are the lowest of the low. Glad to hear about the organ donation though, hopefully the lives touched by this officer out of his family's generosity go on to be some of the world's greatest people.

All of my NYPD and Nassau County Police Department friends will tell you, there is NO such thing as a "Routine" traffic stop. The LEOs never know who is in the car, or in the car with "friendlies", unarmed, or armed to the teeth.

While the originator of my mantra is of Television fiction, the words still ring true:

Let's be careful out there!

I add my condolences to the families, and extended families, of these 2 officers, and get well wishes to the people receiving the organ transplants from them.

Out of death comes life.

So true, brother!

All of my NYPD and Nassau County Police Department friends will tell you, there is NO such thing as a "Routine" traffic stop. The LEOs never know who is in the car, or in the car with "friendlies", unarmed, or armed to the teeth.

While the originator of my mantra is of Television fiction, the words still ring true:

I add my condolences to the families, and extended families, of these 2 officers, and get well wishes to the people receiving the organ transplants from them.

So true, brother!

So true on the routine statement. But the same thing goes with our jobs where there is no such thing as a routine call. Something may go wrong. But as far as the two officers were concerned, I'll bet that they were doing their routine and it went terribly wrong.

Supposedly they caught the driver (female). She is not considered a suspect at this time. I think probably is that she was driving this dirt bag around, they got stopped, she was cleared by the officers and the dirt bag was being arrested and he killed the officers. I suspect that the girl panicked and ran when the suspect ran.

She may have been involved but my thoughts are that she wasn't and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I am not sure whether she turned herself in or they caught her. Either or she is the star witness.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.