Los Angeles county fire card

I noticed there are some employers that require this and I tried to google more on this but can't find much information in it. So that's why I'm here wondering if anyone has some information or could link me to a website, thanks!

Not positive but I think what the OP maybe referring to is the LA City DOT Ambulance endorsement that allows you to pick up a patient within the city of Los Angeles with out that you and your employer can receive stiff fines and you could be barred from picking up in the city again. Basically it is another way for the city to tax us but with out it you can only drop off in the city of Los Angeles.

Well, I know about the LA City DOT card, but the Department of Transportation is far distance away from the fire department. However, if the fire department would rather be fixing pot holes than screwing up EMS, I'd be all on board for it.

I googled this as well but actually found something LOL no offense richard.

A fire card is obtained after successful completion of a safety/fire class. The instructor is usually a retired firefighter certified by the county or city to teach the class. The class is about 6-8hrs and completed in one day. Most if not all hospital employers offer the training and certification to their nurses and employees. As of December 2009, fire cards in Los Angeles are valid for 4 years.

Anyone wishing to update their fire card can go through their employer's educational resources. Student nurses are also required to obtain and keep their fire cards current to work in the hospital. Your school's nursing department should have information about how and where to obtain the fire safety training.

I dialed 311 from my phone and spoke to the fire department's dispatch office and was transferred about four times before I was given numbers to available instructors in the Los Angeles area. I contacted one of them who told me that they were teaching a class at a local hospital. Not all hospitals allow individuals that are not employed by them to take the class, but I got lucky with my local hospital. This is worth giving a try if you're trying to find a class that's convenient your schedule and/or shopping around for the best price. Unfortunately, all hospitals reserve the right to charge those not employed by them any amount to take the class. The instructors have no say as to what the hospital charges individuals.

Hope this helps.

• 11 months later...

Current as of June 10, 2011

Re: Fire Safety Card (City of Los Angeles)

These cards are obtained by instructors (typically retired firefighters) certified by the City of Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD). You can obtain a list of certified instructors who can issue the Los Angeles City Fire Safety Card (sometimes also called the "Fire Life Safety Card") which are valid for 4 years. These cards are sometimes required for nurses, certified nursing assistants, EMTs, etc. You can obtain the most recent list by either (preferably) emailing Capt. Michael White (LAFD) at michael.white@lacity.org or calling him at 213-978-3730. After speaking with some instructors, if you can get 6 or more persons together, you can obtain a discount and have some flexibility on where and when to meet.

Heads up: Presently, there are NO authorized online providers of this card, so beware of online companies purporting to offer these cards. The 3M, Canadian, and Florida online courses for fire safety are NOT the same as the LA City Fire Safety Card.

Good luck.

Basically it is another way for the city to tax us...

Or, another way for the firemonkeys to extort their share of the EMS economy, even after retirement. Aholes. Retired hose-draggers should be prohibited from teaching these classes.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: June 23, 2011

Re: Fire Safety Card, City of Los Angeles

Purpose: 4 year certification; sometimes required for employment by some hospitals in Los Angeles metro area

Type of training: Overview of Reg 4 rules; evacuation rules/techniques; how to use a fire extinguisher; RACE concept; yada yada yada

You can obtain the latest list of certified instructors for the Fire Safety Card (sometimes called the "Life Safety Card") for healthcare workers by clicking on:

http://lafd.org/prevention/reg4/Healthcare.pdf

The cost is $45 - $75 per person depending upon the instructor chosen and whether group or private instruction. But another fee (sigh) and useless hoop to jump through.

Good luck!

See my posts below for names of instructors. Good luck!

See below for an overview and names of instructors.