Need ALS/Para Help W/ Family Member

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NSTEMI (a heart attack, that did not produce ST segment elevation on EKG)

Non Q Wave (see above)

Peak Cardiac Triponin .86 (an elevated cardiac enzyme marker, signaling damage to the heart)

Marked Hyperlipodemia (high blood fats, can be cholesterol or triglycerides, which is a risk factor for heart disease)

Marked Hypertension A-symptomatic (high blood pressure, another risk factor for heart disease)

Severe Cardiomiopothy (cardiomyopathy is dysfunction of the heart muscle)

Ejection Fraction 25% (your father has a low ejection fraction, normal for an adult male is around 50%)

Akanisis of posterial wall (the posterior wall of his heart does not contract normally due to damage, as see probably on ultrasound)

Severe Hypokenisis of anterior lateral wall (same as above)

Mitroregurgitation 1+ (mitral valve regurg is abnormal movement of blood back through the mitral valve during systole. This can be physiologic (normal) when it is mild.)

Your father's heart was damaged due to a heart attack, and possibly was damaged before hand by previous cardiac events and/or chronic hypertension.The diagnosis of mitral regurgitation and of wall hypo/akinesis is made after echocardiography of the heart. This would be a routine test to preform after a patient has sustained a heart attack. From the results, it would be extremely beneficial for your father to followup with his cardiologist at all recommended appointments and to follow all treatments prescribed.

I merely defined the terms you are working with, which is not medical advice and therefore does not violate forum TOS

Edited by daedalus

Update....

Dad goes for cath this thursday at Mt. Sini in NYC.

Cardiologist feels he has a good prognosis if done now and not later.

Showing a 1* Bundle Block on ECG which the Doc has to monitor.

I will keep you all updated.....

PS thank you all for the advice and education on this situation with my family.

Update....

Dad goes for cath this thursday at Mt. Sini in NYC.

Cardiologist feels he has a good prognosis if done now and not later.

Showing a 1* Bundle Block on ECG which the Doc has to monitor.

I will keep you all updated.....

PS thank you all for the advice and education on this situation with my family.

Glad to hear that the doc thinks that a heart cath will help him. Hope the surgery goes well.

Continued thoughts and prayers for you & your family.

Glad to update you all :thumbsup:

Dad had the cath yesterday at Mt Sini Hospital. WOW what a great place, I couldnt believe the level of compitancy and service there. Out of all the hospitals I have been through with my Dad over the years this was by far the best.

Anyways...

Dad's surgery went excellent. 4 stents placed ( 2 LCA, 1 CA, 1 LAD) and what looked like strings on the pre op imaging now look like 4 lane highways :punk:

He still has more to go. While in there the Doc found 2 more 100% blocked artieries. He said RCA and one other I cant remeber for the life of me LOL But it will be 5 weeks before he goes back in according to the Docs.

Dad was in good spirits and felt alot better afterwards :) Not happy with having to go back but understands.

Checking post op ECGs and paper work he still has elevated ST and T waves and a 1* AV Block that needs to be worked out but it is secondary right now, according to the Docs, to getting the arteries unclogged. I fully understand that and agree.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and information. It means alot to My Family and Myself. Hopefully one day I can return the favor if ever needed.

• 1 month later...

the OPs father needs to take the advice of his cardiologist whether he is fit to travel, he also needs to get the cardiologist who treated him while he was away to speak to his Spinal Injuries Doc and to find a Cardiologist acceptable to all three parties...

much beyond this is into the realms of specific clinical advice ...

OP , what level and ASIA score is your dad ?

Just out of interest how did you diagnose a NSTEMI over the phone? Or did you listen to the S&S over the phone and conclude that it may be a AMI of some description?

I'll take stupid questions for $200.

:rolleyes2:

Hey Folks OP Here. I forgot about this thread until I seen it revived LOL Well alot has happened since my original post unfortunatly.

Dad went for the second round of stents and unfortunaly had complications. He wound up having pericadial effusion due to artierial disection.

They pulled 750cc of blood from the sac and had to go in and add another stent and something else (cant remeber the medical term they used sorry) to repair the bleed.

Dad is in recovery now and soon will be going to acute care at KCC to get better. After acute care he will be going to sub-acute at Care One then finally home. My family and I have a long road ahead but feel the priognosis is good. Do not want to jinx anything.

I have taken a leave of absence from EMS while he recovers and only have been doing administrative stuff at the squad. I feel I cant be 100% for my patients while thinking of Dad thus my removal from the squad. Once he gets better I will resume my duties.

Thanks all for understanding.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.