Where can I obtain state license with completion of EMT course certification? (Non NR-EMT certification)

Until MI files the necessary papers to fully rid itself of the NREMT qualifications, then it is still an NREMT state.

One of the 'benefits' of holding National Registry credentials is for this purpose right here...to make reciprocity of licensure/certifications. It also verifies that you've met a certain 'standard' of education that is readily recognized.

When I went though the EMT course in '95, we were trained to NR standards, we just didn't have to hold the NREMT card to get a state license. You CAN apply for the NREMT exam IF your CEU's are current (including your CPR card).

It sounds like you're considering getting out of the grip of the 'Giant Mitten', so obtaining the NREMT credentials can only help you wherever you end up. I didn't have my NREMT-B when I came to GA, and therefore ended up having to start 'all over again' because I coulndn't apply for reciprocity, and my MI license ended up exipring.

Bottom line is this, it's better to just 'suck it up' and take the NREMT. EMT-B isn't rocket science, and you should have no problem passing the test. It can only help you in the end.

Gr it wouldn't let me quote the other thing Lone posted, since it was already quoted, but from what he posted, it looks like since it has been less then 2 years, you can still take the test. I don't see what the problem is. Coud be, you are talking to the wrong person, OR they are confused about what you are asking. I recently had to obtain my certifications in 4 states for a job, and when contacting people to everything straigtened out, there was a bit of confusion on the part of several people at the state EMS offices i contacted. I would double check that.

And I'm not sure how the NREMT works in Michigan, since I did not need it initially, but it has been a pain for me. Only 14 states recognize it for EMT-B, (43 for paramedic) and it does not give you "instant reciprocity" anywhere. Out of the 4 states I needed certs in, only one requires it, and even that does not give me reciprocity, i still had to take the refresher course for that state, and then the written and protocol exam. I also had to take another refresher course for another state, which also counted as my refresher course and practicals so I could take my NREMT written exam. So the NREMT has not done me any good.

I do not believe the NREMT would allow him to take the test afte a year, without a state certification. You have to have copies of your current state card, CPR card, and refresher course and passing practical completion paperwork to be eligble to sit for the NREMT exam after the period for initial certification passes. You have to have to have taken NREMT approved practicals within a year, which I don't think he has done, according to his original posts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.