Where can I obtain state license with completion of EMT course certification? (Non NR-EMT certification)

I completed an EMT-Basic class in Michigan, but have not completed the National Registry. I currently do not have a license.

I know there are a few non National Registry states. Is there any state that would allow me to obtain a license with just a copy of my certification that I've completed the course?

Are there any non NR-EMT states that would allow me to obtain a license without having to take a state test?

Thanks guys!

Edited by tpro123

What state did you complete the course in?

I know in NM (non NR state for EMT-B and EMT-I) they won't let you test for the state license with a course completion certificate from another state. You'd have to redo the course altogether

EDIT: Why not at least take your state test, no one is going to just give you a certification because you have a completion certificate.

Edited by JTpaintball70
  • Like 1

I have completed the course at nearly the top of my class. I waited too long (over a year), and now the National Registry won't let me register for the exam unless I complete the coursework all over again. No, they won't allow me to take a refresher course.

Thanks!

Even the states that are not NR would require testing and odds are that much time after class they would not let you test either. 2 things you can do either give up and count it a learning experience or maybe sign up for one of the crash courses. Might try www.percomonline.com for a quick quality program.

Now even if certified do not expect much above minimum wage for pay, so might be best to just cut your losses now.

I went to the NYS DoH (WWW.Health.State.NY.US) and typed into the search-box for "EMT Reciprocity", and got back a file with information as to whom may apply, what is needed, and even the applications themselves. Check it out at http://www.nyhealth.gov/nysdoh/ems/pdf/reciprocity_packet.pdf

States the require testing for NR and not testing for a "state" exam generally all work the same. The NR test IS your state licensing exam. Once you pass NR you will be given state credentials. If you do not take and pass NR, you do not any any credentials. So, regardless of what state you go to... you will not qualify for reciprocity because you are not certified.

I completed an EMT-Basic class in Michigan, but have not completed the National Registry. I currently do not have a license.

I know there are a few non National Registry states. Is there any state that would allow me to obtain a license with just a copy of my certification that I've completed the course?

Are there any non NR-EMT states that would allow me to obtain a license without having to take a state test?

Thanks guys!

Michigan is getting rid of NR altogether and a lot of companies already don't require it. You can apply for MI licensure by exam without NR, go to MDCH Personnel Licensure. Finding a job here, however, is another story. Still, you could get licensed here then look for reciprocity.

Michigan is getting rid of NR altogether and a lot of companies already don't require it. You can apply for MI licensure by exam without NR, go to MDCH Personnel Licensure. Finding a job here, however, is another story. Still, you could get licensed here then look for reciprocity.

I looked on Michigan's site, and found this:

MS Personnel Licensing Process

There are three ways to become licensed in the State of Michigan:

• Apply by Exam (Those who completed a Michigan approved education course)
  • Apply by Endorsement (Those that are currently licensed in another state at the same level of licensure they are applying for)
  • Apply by National Registry Status Only (Those that are not licensed in another state, but are currently Nationally Registered)

By the first bullet, does this mean I can take my certification from a Michigan approved education course, and send that in with the packet and get a license?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.