Basic, general overview of diseases

Lisa O

I have been looking to see if there is a single book on all / most diseases. Signs, symptoms, etc. When I try to find it, I get books on each disease, but nothing that groups them all together inside one book. There has to be one, maybe in textbook form for doctors or nurses. I assume that I am not putting in the right words for Google to narrow down the search.

Thank you

Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy

Although it is not a basic general overview.....

I don't know that you will find a BASIC medical book. Sounds like you should check out the adolescent area of the library, they have some "Human body" books that are pretty basic.

I like the MERC Manual, but here are some others....

This is one of my favorites:

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Physiology-Mechanisms-Disease-Guyton/dp/0721632998/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276973279&sr=8-1

Notice $110 new, but used is very cheap.

Also, if you are a EMT basic, a paramedic text such as this is a good start as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Paramedic-Emergency-Care-Bryan-Bledsoe/dp/0835949877/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276973399&sr=1-1

Again , 50 dollars new, but used very cheap.

Not knocking the MERC manual, but it depends on your foundation.

GUYTONS is one of my favorite.

Wonderful, thanks to all. I read the posts of scenarios, and see the wide spread signs and symptoms. I can see how people process these and start throwing out different diseases that it could be based on the info they are given. I wanted to get my hands on something to start training my brain the same way. I don't expect to know everything, but it would be nice to say okay based on 'this' we can start looking at 'this' and gathering more clues and information to start working down the paths of what it might be.

Plus I am very curious on how some diseases might mask others, or be totally different yet involve the same system / organ. As long as it doesn't backfire and confuse me more..lol

Thats why I was trying to say overview since I am not a doctor, and its not my job to diagnose / treat, but I do want to have a better idea of what I am dealing with when it comes to patients to help them better.

Thats why I was trying to say overview since I am not a doctor, and its not my job to diagnose / treat, but I do want to have a better idea of what I am dealing with when it comes to patients to help them better.

I think I see your problem right there.

If your job is to not diagnose and treat, then your job is to follow a protocol like a cookbook. If your job is to follow a protocol like a cookbook, then the vast majority of an assessment is of no consequence and there is no need to understand anything at all about a disease process or the human body. Additionally, there is no need for continuing education, just continuing protocol updates.

If your job is to perform an assessment and provide treatments based on said assessment, education, and experience, then your job is to diagnose and treat.

There is no book that will provide an "overview". There are 1000 page books written on single diseases. If you want something a little more indepth that your average Brady book, check out the following:

Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine

Harwood-Nuss, Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine

and then the Emergency Medicine bible, Tintinali, Emergency Medicine

If your job is to not diagnose and treat, then your job is to follow a protocol like a cookbook. If your job is to follow a protocol like a cookbook, then the vast majority of an assessment is of no consequence and there is no need to understand anything at all about a disease process or the human body. Additionally, there is no need for continuing education, just continuing protocol updates.

If your job is to perform an assessment and provide treatments based on said assessment, education, and experience, then your job is to diagnose and treat.

My words are not coming out how they are in my head. If I have any excuse for asking something that may seem like a no brainier (or that makes me look bad) to you guys is because I am not even in EMT school yet. I am still working on all my general ed for the AS part of my medic degree / certification. My EMT classes start in January, and I will be finishing all the rest by the time that wraps up in May.

There is no book that will provide an "overview". There are 1000 page books written on single diseases. If you want something a little more indepth that your average Brady book, check out the following:

Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine

Harwood-Nuss, Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine

and then the Emergency Medicine bible, Tintinali, Emergency Medicine

I will look at these as well. Thank you

I have been looking to see if there is a single book on all / most diseases. Signs, symptoms, etc. When I try to find it, I get books on each disease, but nothing that groups them all together inside one book. There has to be one, maybe in textbook form for doctors or nurses. I assume that I am not putting in the right words for Google to narrow down the search.

Thank you

The book we used in a pre-req class for medic school was Pathophysiology by Lee-Ellen C. Copstead-Kirkhorn PhD RN & Jacquelyn L. Banasik PhD ARNP. In my humble opinion, it is what you are looking for. It covers the disease processes, common treatments. It is a decent reading textbook. The Merek Manual is tops, no question but as a quick referance its one of the texts I will keep around. http://www.amazon.com/Pathophysiology-Lee-Ellen-C-Copstead-Kirkhorn-PhD/dp/1416055436/ref=dp_ob_title_bk/188-8577567-2427530

Fireman1037

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.