Stethoscope suggestions?

It's a matter of preference. No one can give you the correct answer because it's up to the individual to decide what fits their needs the best.

I have had the same cardiology III for the past 12 years or longer. I had it while I was an EMT-B and it went with me through paramedic school and now that I'm a paramedic. It's my stethoscope, I do not allow anyone else to use it, and it stays with me on the truck, or in my locker when I'm off work. I don't dig anyone's ear cheese and I do not want their dirty ears all over my stuff. I keep it very clean and I have the earpieces and diaphragms changed out regularly. It also gets a big swipe down with a cavicide wipe following each patient encounter.

If you take care of your stuff, then don't cheat yourself and get a good scope for school and beyond. If you have problems keeping up with your belongings, then do yourself a favor and stay cheap.

My instructor recommended we all purchase a decent scope for school if we did not already have one, so I disagree that you shouldn't consider upgrading if you know you are capable of not losing what could be a very expensive purchase. Personally, I can't hear anything with a cheap scope, and I don't think it's the scope as much as the earpieces. They are hard and do not conform to the shape of the ear and therefore do not block out ambient noise.

Look for one with a fairly short thick tubing. I've tried a lot of different ones and I can hear the best with that kind. Also try using the "mushroom" shaped earpieces, they will fill your ears better and filter out a lot more background sounds.

I do not like Littmann's personally. I've got a Cardiology III laying around collecting dust that I probly should sell off. I love my Ultrascope however. Never let me down both in the hospital or on the bus

I just thought of something: due to "sensitivity" of each newer upgrade of scope, give yourself time to acclimate yourself to it, or all you're going to hear, is not the sound of a pulse during a BP reading, but the sound of the conversation in the next room. Got to learn not just what sounds to listen to, but what you need to tune out.

It's kind of like me as a kid. Momma B could be screaming loud enough to wake the dead from a yard from me, and I wouldn't hear her, but the bells on the Good Humor truck a mile off, now THAT I'd hear.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys and gals! Im leaning towards the Littman Master Classic II. I like the easy grip bell feature on it as well. And its not too expensive so i wont get too salty if i lose it.

I have been using this one and it does the job, but i wouldnt mind an upgrade:

http://www.mystethoscope.com/heine-gamma-stethoscope-p-150.html

The cardiology ones look pretty sweet but i dont think ill be needing something that advanced. I just want a good one for school that i will be able to use in the field once i graduate. The technology in some of the higher end steths is crazy!

I'm with JT on this one. I tried a Master Cardio, a Cardio II, Master Classic while I was working remote/flight and they are all incredible scopes, but far too touchy for what I needed. I have an ultrascope and love it to death. Of course, while in the air, most of the time we had specialized digital scopes, but riding down rough backroads (and especially now doing rural) I found that a Master Cardiology meant that I heard EVERYTHING. The ultrascope is more pressure sensitive, so you can manually filter a lot of sound out. Really, the big 3 uses for the scope are Lung Sounds, BP and Chest Resonance (for me at least). Heart tones don't need to be as precise (again, for me and within my protocols) because I'm just listening for muffling and to get the big picture, same goes with bowel sounds, I want to know if they are present or absent in areas, I'm not listening for exact sounds.

BUT...

It really is personal choice. I really suggest seeing who around you has what scope and giving it a try if you can. I have a partner who swears by a $12 nursing store special and can do everything with it. I really don't suggest digital scopes for regular use, however. They are far too expensive and prone to mishaps and breakdowns in the field. (our digital for flight never left the cabin, we all carried our own conventionals for field). Don't be fooled by price, expensive doesn't mean good for what you want it to do. Also keep in mind replacement parts, ease of cleaning, ease of carrying for your own personal preferences and identification. I love my ultrascope because it is bright orange with flames on the head, it doesn't go missing because everybody knows it is mine and if they take it I'll break 2 non-adjoining long bones. Its like buying a car, really, take a few for a test drive if you can.

A more practical reply:

What do you intend to use it for? For a paramedic student or paramedic, I would recommend a Littman Classic II. It is lightweight and of excellent quality, and it will let you hear everything you will need to hear as a paramedic. The old adage is true to some extent, in that the ears of the provider are more important then the actual stethoscope. However, you need quality equipment along along with a quality education. The crap rip off sprauge stethoscopes they keep on most rigs just won't do in the discrimination of borderline lung sounds.

Remember that the cardiology stethoscopes are designed to pick up on subtle sounds that take years of practice to recognize, and the meaning of which is not even taught in the standard paramedic program. The character of opening snaps and murmurs, the midsystolic click, etc are sounds that have no immediate relevance in the prehospital emergency environment (notable exceptions include ventricular gallops and the murmur of a mitral valve prolapse). Remember that when you buy a stethoscope.

Edited by daedalus

• 1 month later...
I use the Kila KL-770 scope seen here in the link Spenac provided. It works great for me. I like the short, thick tubing. Nice clear sounds for working in the back of an ambulance. I have it in orange too, the only one I have seen in the County which makes it easy to spot if it suddenly decided to go umm.....walkabout.
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.