NREMT-B Test Different from Study Materials

I just took the NREMT-B this morning. I have spent the past couple weeks studying for the text and was fairly confident after working through a couple test prep books and reviewing materials from my course. The test questions seemed to be significantly more difficult for me than those in the prep materials. I used a Brady "Success EMT" prep book and some question/flashcard book as well. I know the test is adaptive so perhaps I was fed more difficult questions as some of the early questions seemed easier. The test kicked me out at 70 questions and I have read where people have been kicked out at 70 and failed and kicked out 70 passed, so I'm slightly nervous.

I'm not sure if others can offer insight in this regard to their testing experiences.

I just took the NREMT-B this morning. I have spent the past couple weeks studying for the text and was fairly confident after working through a couple test prep books and reviewing materials from my course. The test questions seemed to be significantly more difficult for me than those in the prep materials. I used a Brady "Success EMT" prep book and some question/flashcard book as well. I know the test is adaptive so perhaps I was fed more difficult questions as some of the early questions seemed easier. The test kicked me out at 70 questions and I have read where people have been kicked out at 70 and failed and kicked out 70 passed, so I'm slightly nervous.

I'm not sure if others can offer insight in this regard to their testing experiences.

I felt the same way after taking my National. It kicked me out at 68 questions. I was freaking out! Then I got the result that said I passed and could breath again. But yes you are right the questions were different from the study material but at the same time did not ask anything that you as a basic should know to perform your job properly and safely. So I answered the questions according to what I would do in the field. I start my paramedic course in July. Now I hear that test is a killer!

i took mine 20 days ago made it to 151 questions and failed 3 sections the test is much harder then the study material. (but only 8 kids in my class passed so far)

Edited by Mario1105

THe NREMT test is 'adaptive'. Each question gets progressively more difficult until it gathers enough information to ascertain whether you know your material or not, then it 'kicks you out'.

The prep material doesn't offer you questions exactly like what you'll find on the NREMT, but will pose questions that are similar in nature and wording to what you'll find there.

If the 'test prep material' was exactly like the NREMT testing, then it would simply be a matter of memorization of the proper answer to any question. This is NOT what our education is supposed to acomplish. By the time we graduate from the class, we should be able to justify what we do with WHY we do it.

In my opinion, the NREMT needs to be more difficult than what it is, to help weed out the 'cookbook providers' and open the field up for those with the drive to increase their knowledge base, as opposed to simply regurgitating information on command.

D.O.T./NHSTA/NREMT needs to adopt this mindset, and drive these 'patch mills' out of business!

• Like 1

I took my test Friday night for my EMT-B. To be honest my teacher's final was harder than the National Registry. It kicked me out at 70 questions as well and I had to wait til this morning (Monday) to find out if I passed or failed. The prep books I believe are just for that.. just prep. I don't think that anything is supposed to qualify for as hard as the National Registry. Best of luck to you. I hope you passed :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.