Race Across America

DwayneEMTP

I had the privilege of meeting this extreme athlete tonight, as well as his wife, and what an amazing, inspiring experience...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=85090489887&v=wall

In the Race Across America the riders ride approx 3200 miles on a bicycle and finish in anywhere from 6-12 days, with most that complete it finishing on or before the 10th day. It's a 24hr race, no mandatory rest or sleep breaks. All riders start on one end of the country and the first on to the other side of North America wins..It's friggin' insane!!

Ian is riding to raise money for MS research, which has afflicted his drop dead gorgeous wife.

Anyway, I won't soon forget our visit and thought some of you might be interested in his story, and the race, and might even donate a few bucks if you have them laying around.

Have a great day all!

Dwayne

I had the privilege of meeting this extreme athlete tonight, as well as his wife, and what an amazing, inspiring experience...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=85090489887&v=wall

In the Race Across America the riders ride approx 3200 miles on a bicycle and finish in anywhere from 6-12 days, with most that complete it finishing on or before the 10th day. It's a 24hr race, no mandatory rest or sleep breaks. All riders start on one end of the country and the first on to the other side of North America wins..It's friggin' insane!!

Ian is riding to raise money for MS research, which has afflicted his drop dead gorgeous wife.

Anyway, I won't soon forget our visit and thought some of you might be interested in his story, and the race, and might even donate a few bucks if you have them laying around.

Have a great day all!

Dwayne

Yes I have, it was mentioned in one of our local news websites....good for him!!!!

That is awesome! I tip my hat to him and to the rest of the riders.

(Forwards to mom who rides in the MS 150 every year.)

Check out his FB page. Last night he was at that hospital up the street from there. Heart+Altitude made him gain 30 lbs last I heard he lost 23 of it.

OK found the page. Marcia Wilson message from Ian onto his facebook page:

Unfortunate turn..I've been in a hospital in Colorado for the past 21 hours, heart issue arose at high altitude causing 30 lb weight gain. Have dropped 23 in the last 12 hrs. Still trying to get discharged and get back in the race. Keeping my fingers crossed.(yesterday around 11 am)

(yesterday around 4pm)

Marcia Wilson Update from Ian's facebook: I'm writing this from my room at the hospital in Colorado and have had many tears with my wife Michelle and Leanne Kaay. The tests have been run, cat scan, blood work, EKG etc and the cardiologist feels that my ascents thru the race at multiple elevations (7,000 to 11,000 ft) combined with ...other factors brought on pulmonary edema...he's recommending that I do not continue....this is hard...

(about 11 pm last night)

Leanne Fisher Ian and crew - completing 1145miles in just over 4 days is an amazing accomplishment and a reflection of everyone's passion and dedication to the race and the goal to end MS. There are very few who would even consider taking on a journey of this scale. The risk involved in RAAM is great – I’m relieved that the decision... is for Ian to take the time to recover and get healthy again. My thoughts are with you and the team. You are an inspiration to so many!

Looks like he is out of the race. He looks to still be in Trinidad Co tho. Awesome job 1,145 miles in 4 days!!

Taken from http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=85090489887&v=wall

I also saw another guy doing the race as well at Safeway when I was down there. I dont know what his cause was tho.

That is indeed crazy. The most I can do is like 30miles, and that is sitting in the gym on a trainer with a/c!

My hat goes off to these people. Especially Ian. My father had MS and it is great that he is doing this to raise funds for the research foundation.