Dipping'

Doc D

I won't let anyone bring a spit bottle on the ambulance either. It's gross, and although I can handle nearly every bodily fluid when my adrenaline is rushing, I still have a problem with spit and mucus.

Lone, that dude in your pics had some nice looking teeth, what a shame they'll be old, brown, and falling out shortly.

Many fire department based services in Maryland have adopted a tobacco-less policy. They even do random testing. It significantly cuts the health insurance premiums on these people, not to mention all the money an individual will save by not having that gross habit. It's not just the cost of the tobacco products, but the cost of the medical and dental treatments one incurs as a result of such a habit. If you don't believe me, Montgomery County Fire is an example of a tobacco free work environment. They also require physical training during their shifts, again I'm sure to help off-set the cost of health coverage for their employees.

It's gross, it's expensive, and you could wind up significantly deformed. Why would anyone want to start or continue such habit?

If you don't believe me, Montgomery County Fire is an example of a tobacco free work environment. They also require physical training during their shifts, again I'm sure to help off-set the cost of health coverage for their employees.

You can opt to not sign the tobacco free contract though in Montgomery County and I know a few who do, but they will not be covered for any lung related illness under the county health plan. And if they develop anything related to the firefighting, it is negated by the fact that they smoked so they would not be covered under workers comp.

I know a few people who did chew on the job, but would get rid of it for a call when it came through so they would not run into the problems aforementioned.

I dont dip during the job. Not allowed, nor need to. I dont spit in cups either, i spit in the grass. I dont put raw tobacco in my mouth either. I use pouches. Please remember i am not an EMT. I am a soldier, I am a combat medic. Most male soldiers dip tobacco. Its a bad habit, but its very acceptable here.

Big ups to my MOCO (Montgomery County) paramedics, i grew up there. Germantown, i appreciate what you guys do.

I dont dip during the job. Not allowed, nor need to.

Good.

I dont spit in cups either, i spit in the grass.

That's fine until you're told to take five and want to sit in that grass. Gross.

I dont put raw tobacco in my mouth either. I use pouches.

Doesn't matter. It's still just as bad.

Please remember i am not an EMT. I am a soldier, I am a combat medic. Most male soldiers dip tobacco. Its a bad habit, but its very acceptable here.

You are both an EMT and a soldier. The soldiers in your squad/platoon will look to you, if they don't already, for advice on all things medical. As someone who may be the only medical resource immediately available for your soldiers it's up to you to lead by example. It doesn't matter if everyone is doing it. You know it's bad. You have seen the bad effects outlined here. As someone who's responsible for the medical welfare of your soldiers it would make sense to take point in making sure they at least know it's disgusting.

That doesn't mean harp on them. But a well place statement on occasion ("Dude! What are you doing? I gotta sit on that grass that you just spat into." or perhaps starts a weekly mouth check in everyone who chews to determine mouth damage) can do wonders.

To take this one step further, I fully understand the stresses placed on a combat unit. Some stress relief absolutely *must* take place. But you have to admit that a stress reliever that slowly eats away at your teeth, gums and jaw isn't really doing much for you or your soldiers.

Big ups to my MOCO (Montgomery County) paramedics, i grew up there. Germantown, i appreciate what you guys do.

The Kingdom of Montgomery is a nice place. I don't miss it at all, though. Good on you for getting out to see the world. Much props. :punk:

I dont dip during the job. Not allowed, nor need to. I dont spit in cups either, i spit in the grass.

Spitting on the grass/sidewalk, ground is just as unsanitary as spitting into a cup (that can and will ultimately be knocked over, dropped or otherwise spilled). Not to mention how discourteous it is for someone that just happens to be boppin' through the grass barefooted or in sandals/flip flops.

I dont put raw tobacco in my mouth either. I use pouches.

Don't fool yourself here! The pouches are cause just as much damage as the 'raw tobacco' does. It's the acids in the niccotine that does the damage.

Please remember i am not an EMT. I am a soldier, I am a combat medic. Most male soldiers dip tobacco. Its a bad habit, but its very acceptable here.

As far as you being just a 'combat medic', as Mike said; your troops look to you for the 'medical answers'. Just because 'everybody does it' doesn't make it any less dangerous, unsanitary or any more 'cool' or acceptable.

DOC D, I almost 18 years in uniform, so I think I know of what I speak. I would same some Soldiers dip, chew,or smoke. "Most" implies a majority and in my experience the number was never a majority and is shinking day by day.

I dont dip during the job. Not allowed, nor need to. I dont spit in cups either, i spit in the grass. I dont put raw tobacco in my mouth either. I use pouches. Please remember i am not an EMT. I am a soldier, I am a combat medic. Most male soldiers dip tobacco. Its a bad habit, but its very acceptable here.

Have you been back to Gernmantown recently? You'd be amazed at how much it has grown... they have a new station too, 22 that's brand spankin new and really nice at 118 and Clopper Road.

Personally I dont Dip. It is gross and very unattractive. As a woman I would never date someone who did. The kissing alone to me is repulsive. However I am a smoker. I know it is not a good thing however I rarely (if ever) smoke while working.

As far as the military and chewing/smoking. I have (past tense getting divorced from military) lived on post for years and for me roughly I would say that 30-40% of the service members did smoke or chew. From what I saw.

Edited by mrsbull

Even with all my time in the military I never started smokeing or diping yet the military went out of its way to sell discounted smokes and dip. I hate treating people who just diped as your doing PA. I dont mind alcohol or drunks but dip is just nasty.