Yo Vent, Dust! I'm coming home!

Flasurfbum

Congrats. Florida seems to be a great source of EMS entertainment lately, what with Dr. Tober over in Collier County...

CONGRATS! Always good to be able to go home to work.

And as for the Fire thing. I find it really hard to knock somebody for making the jump. With the comparison in pay, benefits, job security, pension, workload, to most privates in the states, it's instantly understandable. With a family to support and a life to live, how can you ask any individual to stay in a crappy work environment for the potential good of a profession? The onus is on the rest of EMS to become a career option people can stay in and even that won't fix the issue entirely. Even up here where we have third services with comparable pay and benefits and no fire based EMS, Medics still jump ship for Fire. Because as good as we have it in EMS, Fire's got the warm beds, better workload and schedule and early retirement. It's about what's best for you and your family.

Anyways, congrats again and good luck!

Thanks everyone!

Although I am a Fireman, and working for a FD based EMS system, I don't forget why I do this, and I treat my pt, not the monitor, a protocol, or make decisions that are not in the best interest of my pt.

AK, I think we have worked in the same areas, and may have crossed paths.

Are you in Brevard atm?

I'm in Satellite until Sunday.

Thanks everyone!

Although I am a Fireman, and working for a FD based EMS system, I don't forget why I do this, and I treat my pt, not the monitor, a protocol, or make decisions that are not in the best interest of my pt.

AK, I think we have worked in the same areas, and may have crossed paths.

Are you in Brevard atm?

I'm in Satellite until Sunday.

Nope, I am in Afghan, headed back to Kuwait in a few hours for a week or two, then back to Afghan.

Remember Florida is a 3foot state
I may know what you're talking about by a different name, but...what do you mean by a 3 foot state? Edited by Richard B the EMT

I may know what you're talking about by a different name, but...what do you mean by a 3 foot state?

Florida and a handful of other states are required to give bicyclists 3 feet clearance on all sides. Mind you that rarely happens. I personally feel ( as does my mother) that we should be allowed to have a paintball gun and shoot at any car that comes to close. Though that would get expensive since paintballs aren't cheap. My shoulder blade has felt many side mirrors.

http://www.3feetplease.com/ If you want to know more there's a link.

Thank you for the update. I thought it was in reference to how close passing vehicles were allowed to come to any Emergency Sector personnel, or even just road construction workers, in the traffic lane nearest the action.

Florida and a handful of other states are required to give bicyclists 3 feet clearance on all sides. Mind you that rarely happens. I personally feel ( as does my mother) that we should be allowed to have a paintball gun and shoot at any car that comes to close. Though that would get expensive since paintballs aren't cheap. My shoulder blade has felt many side mirrors.

http://www.3feetplease.com/ If you want to know more there's a link.

I hate bicyclists on the road, especially when they have no consideration for vehicles especially the ambulance.

I hate bicyclists on the road, especially when they have no consideration for vehicles especially the ambulance.

Well like it or not we're required to be on the road and can be fined a rather good amount if we're not. I"ve had to flirt myself out of a few tickets. One was $110 and the other would have been $80. We do have to follow the rules of the road just like any other vehical. Some do. Some don't. Just like any other person on the road though.

Ding ding ding!!

I love the ones the obey the 3ft rule... they ride 3 ft from a curb, and expect traffic to stay 3ft away from them, AND avoid getting in a head on collision.

Whatever happened to natural selection? :innocent: