Pre Employment exam and physical test

Ok to begin from the beginning. I have JUST gotten a call from the state saying I will FINALLY be certified in Colorado no later than next week!!

I do not know by the time I go to this pre interview (2 long hrs away) IF I will have my physical certs in my hand. The # should be available to me via calling and getting it OR just looking it up on the states website. Does anyone know if this SHOULD be OK?? Of course I will bring the copy of the websites status of me and the # provided I can get it in a timely manner.

I have an orientation and Pre- Employment exam coming up "SOON". I have taken 1 pre employment exam and did well on it. It was just a short version of the state exam. Not too bad. However I was able to explain all my answers as to why I wrote them down at that time. That made things all better. You know 2 definitely wrong and 2 COULD be right but 1 is more right. Are all Pre employment exams written or have anyone experienced any different ones? I also MAY have to do the physical part either there then OR the next week for the "official interview" My question is what did that consist of for YOU?? I just want to be prepared.

Physically for that particular time frame (for me) I will be having my G tube pulled out on the 16th. Lifting should be my ONLY drawback for a week or do after it is pulled out and I heal adequately enough for my MD to release me to work and lift. I should be able to pass the stair test (w/o lifting) but I have no idea what else could be coming my way. I just want some examples please of things YOU had to do.

My last 2 EMS jobs there was no pre employment exam or anything they just loved me and knew I would be/am capable of awesome pt care and I am great under stress I also ask question when the time is right and learn from mistakes. I am a good rookie!! :thumbsup:

So can anyone please give me some tips on exams,interviewing skills, as well as maybe something to expect with this company as far as physical ability and anything else you can think of??

Any advice/input is greatly appreciated!

Lastly, With the mention of a G-Tube I have it cause I have has some pancreatic problems. They are resolved now and I made the appt this am to have it removed. I am on Tyl-3s How long before the drug screen should I DC them? It does not impair me but I am willing to go to reg tyl if needed. As I refuse to put my pts or partner in jeopardy.

I've had a few different physical exams for different jobs. For the last place I interviewed I had to do a megacode for my physical, which wasn't at all demanding. In another instance I had to work with a preceptor to load a 180 lb dummy onto a stretcher, move it from low to load positions and down again. We then carried the dummy via spine board up and down a flight of stairs. It wasn't too demanding either.

The worse one I ever did was for a fire department EMT job years ago. First we did CPR for 5 minutes, when we finished, we climbed a 15 foot ladder, touched the wall above it, and came back down. Then we did a 180 lb dummy drag for 20 feet. Then, we had to carry three loaded gear bags up and down four sets of bleachers, followed by running without gear up and down four flights of stairs. Finally we had to sit and put together five different size nuts and bolts. It was June and I ended up with a pretty raging case of heat exhaustion as it was an outside exam. I passed, and nearly passed out.

So, as far as a physical ability exam, you can have anything from hardly no effort to "think I'm going to die" effort. It depends on the company.

I worked on the ambulance without any problems with my G-tube in place. Lifting wasn't a problem. My biggest fear was accidentally pulling it while moving a patient. I covered mine with an ABD pad and a big tegaderm. I also wore a tight under armor shirt under my uniform. This doesn't matter since you're having yours removed, and I'm only bringing it up to ease any fears you might have about lifting post G-tube. I also had no problem once mine was removed. The hole closed very easily and quickly, and aside from an ugly little scar, it doesn't pose any problems. I worked the day before and after it was removed with no discomfort or problems.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine!

Edited by EMS49393

Thanks so much for the info!!

Specially the G tube info. The Dr is putting me under to take it out. I did not know about lifting and etc. I don't nor have I ever fed thru it. I have had gastric bypass and they could not get to my pancreas without it is all. (anatomy is all it was).

Also awesome to know about having the hole close quicky. Did you have a bunch of drainage? The Dr WAS going to remove it today during a scope I had but he said it was not healed nuff to pull it. Dunno why I have had a tube in for 10 weeks now and this tube in for 7.5 weeks. He also wants to knock me out with come versed and fentanyl while removing it.

My doctor deflated the balloon and pulled it in the office during my visit. No reason to knock me out. I had some drainage but it cleared up within a day after the hole had closed enough. I'm not sure why you'd have to be put under to have it removed, unless it's much different then the g-tube I had placed.

Mine was placed to pull my stomach down into its correct anatomical position because I had been having issues with recurrent, and quite large, hiatal hernias. This was done during my third major open abdominal surgery to repair a nissin fundoplication that continued to unravel. In theory, my stomach was supposed to adhere to the abdominal cavity during g-tube placement. I doubt it worked since I had another incarcerated hernia less than a year later, and yep, another surgery, the most brutal one to date.

Years ago I contemplated gastic bypass myself, but with all these GI issues, I was scared to do it. I'm not a candidate now because I don't weigh enough. My appetite has been exceedingly poor since my last surgery and I lost over 60 lbs in two months from not eating. I've slowed down quite a bit, but I'm still losing 10-15 lbs a month and do quite a bit of force feeding.

What helped you decide between bypass and lapband?

I don't know why they want the tube pulled while I am knocked out cept the Dr said he does not want me to hurt that bad. He said it will "hurt like hell". I am not so sure he KNOWS how to do it with RNY pts. He actually was going to pull it today but he said I was not ready (UGH) He also explained it to his staff today what they would have to do. They did not know. (Military Hospital) I do not know the type of tube I have the stamp on it has worn off. This is the closest tube I can find that is similar to mine. It is the first pic second one from the top. However mine had 2 things on the bottom one to inflate the balloon and the other to feed/drain. Actually it is more like the second one after going back to look at it.

I began having GI issues almost immediately post op from the gastric bypass. I had chosen the RNY bypass over the lap band for 2 main reasons. #1 being because the Dr at the time had only 2 weeks of training in the band (yikes). The second reason was because I needed the FEAR of dumping and getting ill if I ate things I should not be. I also needed the permanency of the RNY as opposed to the lap band.

Here is my before and after pics. I think it is my avatar but I am changing it, and you should be able to see the one I post better. I hope it works.

post-11070-127553023277_thumb.jpg

Physical exams can differ a lot depending on where you are applying at. Some places do not have any. Some may be tedious. I would not expect you will have to run a mile or bench press 200 pounds. I would however, expect to do a few push-ups and maybe lift a dummy and move it 10 feet. I would call the place you are going to and ask them what they expect of you. This is pre-employment. So I would assume you were planning on dressing nicely to look professional.

I wish more places would require a physical fitness requirement for work, not only to get the job, but to KEEP it. My last job I was asked to do several push-ups, move a 150lb manikin across the room and demonstrate proper lifting techniques. It was ironic since the person conduction the test was roughly 400lbs.

Good luck

I wish more places would require a physical fitness requirement for work, not only to get the job, but to KEEP it. My last job I was asked to do several push-ups, move a 150lb manikin across the room and demonstrate proper lifting techniques. It was ironic since the person conduction the test was roughly 400lbs.

Good luck

The question isn't what he weighed but if he could do the same things he was requiring you to do.

With working off shore and remote like I am, it's a requirement for me to go through a physical and medical fitness test at least every twelve months. The physicial involved swimming, lifting, climbing and carrying various crap around. While the medical includes, hearing test, visual test, lung funtion, various bloods including HIV.

I personally think introducing something similar as a employment requirement in South African EMS would be a step in the better direction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.