Splints

I still stand by the fact that if you, as an educated person source appropriate research, present it in an appropriate manner, then while it may take time to change, it will work. One only needs to sow the seed into the minds for it to come to fruition. Baby steps. But, regardless, it can still work.

Although anythings possible, it would be more likely for everyone in NYC EMS to get a 25K raise evenly across the board.

New EMT's usually know only what they are taught and seldom are taught to improvise or adapt to what they have available. As a paramedic I love to see the look on new EMT's faces when I use a pillow and some tape for a splint. You have to love old school.

I was taught that in EMT school years ago, doesn't give me a feel of improvisation, gives me a feel of what it should be.

I am curious Richard. There has been a number of threads discussing long back boards. None of them to my recollection call it a 'splint'. A long backboard is an extrication device. Nothing more, nothing less. They are uncomfortable, Dont splint effectivley as they leave to many anatomical spaces & by design (as an extrication device) are slipery so the patient will move around on them.

I never stated that as a splinting device, that they were effective. I will go on record, as one who has been both a long backboard training dummy (some state I need no practice in being a dummy), and an actual patient transported on one, yes, they are undeniably uncomfortable.

They are also a transportation device, for distance. I don't recollect how many people I have taken off of the beach here in Rockaway, on one of them, as my vehicles never had "Stokes Baskets" as a state required onboard device.

Here the protocols are written by a board of doctors, there are 2 Paramedics who sit on the board as observers only, they may occasionally add in something function a Dr. may not think about, but there are no EMT's ... Protocols here are changed based on how many times NYC gets sued.

I do not have much, if any, input as to what devices the FDNY EMS uses, or might use, but tskstorm is correct. Also and unfortunately, a lot of protocols and devices are changed REACTIVELY, instead of PROACTIVELY. I use as example, the death of a man who was placed into a Medical Anti Shock Trousers, as treatment for a penetrating chest wound (he got stabbed in the chest during a robbery). The device worked as advertized, and the man bled out from the chest wound.

New EMT's usually know only what they are taught and seldom are taught to improvise or adapt to what they have available. As a paramedic I love to see the look on new EMT's faces when I use a pillow and some tape for a splint. You have to love old school.

I again state having used a newspaper to splint, and admit to having used the pillow splinting quite a few times.

I never stated that as a splinting device, that they were effective. I will go on record, as one who has been both a long backboard training dummy (some state I need no practice in being a dummy), and an actual patient transported on one, yes, they are undeniably uncomfortable.

They are also a transportation device, for distance. I don't recollect how many people I have taken off of the beach here in Rockaway, on one of them, as my vehicles never had "Stokes Baskets" as a state required onboard device.

On my vehicles we carry folding stretchers, in all my years never seen it used. Backboard, and scoop are frequently used as transportation devices until the pt can be put on the stretcher/cot.

I do not have much, if any, input as to what devices the FDNY EMS uses, or might use, but tskstorm is correct. Also and unfortunately, a lot of protocols and devices are changed REACTIVELY, instead of PROACTIVELY. I use as example, the death of a man who was placed into a Medical Anti Shock Trousers, as treatment for a penetrating chest wound (he got stabbed in the chest during a robbery). The device worked as advertized, and the man bled out from the chest wound.

It is unfortunate, but I doubt this will get changed anytime in the near future. Everything is based on one instance. I submit another example, D50 was taken out of our protocol for Asystole/PEA about 3 years ago. Last year, a crew called for a discretionary order for D50 for a diabetic in asystole, and wouldn't you know it, it worked. The newest protocol update, D50 is back on standing order.

I again state having used a newspaper to splint, and admit to having used the pillow splinting quite a few times.

Yea, that's how it's supposed to be.

You can use any thing you want to splint with as long as you immobilize above and below the injury. I once used a crowbar to splint someones arm when I was in the Military. We had it in our tool box out on the flightline when one of the airman fell off the bever tail of a KC-135 and broke his arm. When the Ambulance showed up there were rather perplext to why we splinted him up with a crowbar. When we went to the hospital to get our tool back the doc was rather ammused in how ingenious we were.

Edited by +medic

I once used a crowbar to splint someones arm when I was in the Military. We had it in our tool box out on the flightline when one of the airman fell off the bever tail of a KC-135 and broke his arm. ... . When we went to the hospital to get our tool back the doc was rather ammused in how ingenious we were.

Medical comment: You use what you have in an emergency

Medical observation: Considering the weight of a crowbar, you must have done some serious sling and swath.

Non-medical questions: 1) What part of an aircraft is the "Beaver tail"? 2) Anything "135" refers to a military version of the Boeing 707 airframe, but I forgot what the "KC" stands for. Please re enlighten me?

Medical comment: You use what you have in an emergency

Medical observation: Considering the weight of a crowbar, you must have done some serious sling and swath.

Non-medical questions: 1) What part of an aircraft is the "Beaver tail"? 2) Anything "135" refers to a military version of the Boeing 707 airframe, but I forgot what the "KC" stands for. Please re enlighten me?

The beavertail is what a fighter pilots gets after a sucessful mission at the local bar. The KC stand for tanker (K) and cargo ©.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.