Splints

We again recognize that any one piece of equipment can be "the best thing ever invented" to any one tech, and a "what the hell was the inventor thinking" item to another. I've never had use for a SAM, but I know many who swear by it. I'll leave the SAM to those who favor it.

Improvisitation is the difference between a shitbag medic and a doc (In the Army) 4 sam splints is what we carry in our bag. You can splint a femoral fracture with it then provide traction on the ends to splint a femoral fracture. Its the only splint we got, but when my guys knock on my door and someone broke their arm playing football, i always splint it with a SAM

You are correct, a SAM can create a functional traction splint, but it's not my first choice, even in the field. I know all about surviving out of your aid bag, I was a line medic as well. Just wondering, have you ever used a CT-6 or Kendrick traction splint? They are compact, weigh 1 lb or less and are highly effective. I know it varies greatly unit to unit what or how much alternative/personal equipment you're allowed to carry, and we are given a lot more freedom that way in the guard, but it's always worth looking into. An M-16 also makes a pretty good traction splint, but that's definitely a last resort to take away any type fire power. That's unconscious and prompt evac.

I agree with others, careful what you say here. No reason to be so over the top.

Although when I read your statement the first time I read it to be if you good at improvisation they will call you a doc, and if you aren't you're a the other thing you said.

Based on the replies I'm not sure everyone else read it the same.

Hey guys, I am a shitbag, I admit it.

I have never used a SAM splint, however, to make a broad statment about them being the best ever is ignorant, it also shows a lack of foresight about what could come out tomorrow that is better than what we have today.

Splinting is not something that needs to be done on all patients. If the patient is comfortable, can be moved & stay reasonably comfortable (with some analgesia) why try to reduce the fracture to increase the patients pain levels & discomfort? There is no reason to increase the distress of the patient. In some cases, yes splinting is 100% necesarry, but there are where the pain is uncontrolled & uncontrollable, such as a femur & you know that a splint will aid in the reduction of pain.

I am still a shitbag.

As stated, I think the post in question relates to the ability to improv is what separates a good provider from a dirtbag. I agree somewhat without actually calling there other providers dirt bags. Often, the ability to improv will come with experience, therefore it is not a make or break deal when considering the new provider. However, always ghetto rigging to make something work may be a sign of poor logistical support or ignorance to the proper procedure. So, I think one walks a line.

Take care,

chbare.

As stated, I think the post in question relates to the ability to improv is what separates a good provider from a dirtbag. I agree somewhat without actually calling there other providers dirt bags. Often, the ability to improv will come with experience, therefore it is not a make or break deal when considering the new provider. However, always ghetto rigging to make something work may be a sign of poor logistical support or ignorance to the proper procedure. So, I think one walks a line.

Take care,

chbare.

I am still a shitbag.......

Take care,

chbare.

I'm going to make an educated guess that our new friend here is pretty fresh out of AIT and looking at his first deployment. His "hooah" enthusiasm and go/no-go judgments are pretty typical of an 18-19yo E2/E3 with no real experience.

To Doc D, this is not meant as an insult to you. I love your enthusiasm and pride, and it's important to have. But slow down a minute and take a little time to think about what you say in your posts. You seem to genuinely want to learn and engage with people here and that's great! There is a lot of great information to be found here and eons of experience to pull from among the members. But keep in mind that this isn't a military forum. Going all hooah on people won't get you much. Also realize that you are taught very specific skills in AIT for very specific circumstances that are very different from what most folks here operate under. And those AIT skills, though great building blocks, are not the only or even best way of doing things - even in the Army. As you advance in your career, especially thru deployments, you are going to learn many ways of doing things, many new skills, and develop your own style. Even in the Army, every medic has their own style, every team has their own system, and every unit has their own SOP. The best thing you can do here and in the field is to observe as much as possible, take bits from what you learn and find your own style outside of what instructors have drilled into you. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

I'm going to make an educated guess that our new friend here is pretty fresh out of AIT and looking at his first deployment. His "hooah" enthusiasm and go/no-go judgments are pretty typical of an 18-19yo E2/E3 with no real experience.

Yeah, I cut these guys some slack. The sand box was an... interesting experience to somebody in their 30's who had years of medical and military experience. I think doing it as a kiddo out of AIT would even harder IMHO.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.