Splints

Seriously.

There's a picture in one of my old field guides, but I haven't been able to find it. If I crap out, maybe I'll try to draw one and scan it for you since you're so interested. ;) There are a couple methods, neither of which I'm a huge fan of and both are too complicated for me to try to describe without visuals. You need two 36" splints for one, the other I learned doing backcountry SAR uses a SAM and ski poles (or sticks).

Unless, of course, Doc D wants to step up and explain it. B)

edit: posted twice for some reason

Edited by maverick56

I have WSAR training, and experience. I could make one out of a stick.. But this ain't the boy scouts, we use actual equipment. I wouldn't use a SAM for a traction splint. But, since I've never seen it done before, and never want to on a patient. I'm interested to see how that would work out.

Medical comment: You use what you have in an emergency

Medical observation: Considering the weight of a crowbar, you must have done some serious sling and swath.

Non-medical questions: 1) What part of an aircraft is the "Beaver tail"? 2) Anything "135" refers to a military version of the Boeing 707 airframe, but I forgot what the "KC" stands for. Please re enlighten me?

Sorry for the late reply

1- We used duct tape and my BDU top for the sling and swath. DBU tops are very stong we secured the four buttons on the sleeves around the back of his neck and wraped the bottom of the BDU top carefully around the arm then secured with duct tape so it would not move. Keep in mind this was a small crow bar used for removeing aircraft panels that were caked with sealent it was only a about a foot and change long.

2- As for the bever tail its a part of the aircraft wing on a 135 that is on the inboard trailing edge of where the wing meets the fuselage next to the numbers 2 and 4 flap. Its made out of fiberglass and honeycomb composite and is very stroing. It just happens to look like a bever tail thus its name. Its also the one part on the wing that in a pinch you can slide down if you have to bail off the wing during ground maintence or ISO insepctions. I dont recommend doing it since its a long slide down but better then jumping 20 feet off the wing.

3- KC is the Air Force designation for in flight refueling aircraft.

4- The KC-135 is based off of the 707 but is a very diffrent aircraft when it comes to the wings and airframe and engines. It also one of the easyest airframes to work on in the whole US Air Force. Alot of those planes I worked on where old as sin with the oldest plane being from 1958.

Edited by +medic

4- The KC-135 is based off of the 707 but is a very diffrent aircraft when it comes to the wings and airframe and engines. It also one of the easyest airframes to work on in the whole US Air Force. Alot of those planes I worked on where old as sin with the oldest plane being from 1958.

As I understand, the oldest crew persons aboard a "BUFF" is still younger than the aircraft, itself. For the uninformed, a BUFF is the Big Ugly Fat Fellow (cleaned up version), more commonly known as a B-52 Stratofortress bomber.

As for civilian Boeing 707s, it's been over 30 years, that I am aware of, from when last a US domestic air line has used one.

Now, please refresh my memory as to the designation of electronic surveillance and/or electronic countermeasures aircraft, not necessarily on the "135" airframe.

http://www.sammedical.com/pdfs/SAM_Splint_User_Guide_lowres.pdf

Hardly just two SAM's to make a traction splint...

Yeah, is a bit misleading....

As for civilian Boeing 707s, it's been over 30 years, that I am aware of, from when last a US domestic air line has used one.

RAAF retired their unmodified 707's within the last few years

As I understand, the oldest crew persons aboard a "BUFF" is still younger than the aircraft, itself. For the uninformed, a BUFF is the Big Ugly Fat Fellow (cleaned up version), more commonly known as a B-52 Stratofortress bomber.

Now, please refresh my memory as to the designation of electronic surveillance and/or electronic countermeasures aircraft, not necessarily on the "135" airframe.

The designation is RC and its is one of the only command and control aircraft in the USAF fleet. Other Aircraft can do what the RC-135 does but the RC-135 has more capacity and options.

RC-135 or AWAC Based on the C-135 Stratolifter airframe some have a GIANT rotateing radar dish on top. The RAF is going to use RC-135 to replace there Nimrods aircraft which are de Havilland Comets

Honestly, I have little use for splints in the sand box or otherwise. Minor stuff can be self splinted until I can do a proper immobilisation job in the ER. Major stuff will go on a vacuum mattress, scoop or both and everything is pretty much immobilised. For some of the facility transports I will use whatever the sending facility has, I'm not picky.

Take care,

chbare.

We just got a vacum mattress and were trained to it . Have not used it yet so I am interesdted in your feed back on it.

I am still a shitbag.......

But a snappy dresser

What about the Boeing 747 airframe designated "Christal Palace"? If memory serves, it is supposed to duplicate the functions of the Command complex at, or should I say UNDER, Cheyenne Mountain, if that base were to be destroyed by an incoming "Nuke".

(The complex does actually exist, but the "Stargate Command" dug underneath is a movie/TV fabrication)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.