US ARMY COMBAT MEDIC

It varies greatly among units and state to state. My unit was always pretty well outfitted when it came to deploying because they deploy a lot and usually get attached to various QRFs. Charlie Co has even been to Bosnia (before my time). That being said, I have had many training scenarios involving water balloons and sacks of flour, haha. For me and my chalk, when it came time to deploy, we all got together and decided what we wanted as far as supplies. Some we managed to get thru command. The CO is huge on safety and has great pride in Charlie medics - we win a lot of top medic comps and there are numerous EFMBs. Other stuff we shelled out for on our own. We all bought Blackhawk packs, we got 3 CT-6 splints to spread amongst us, and we all took personal side arms (something AD isn't allowed to do). As for the quick clot, well the old school powered wasn't all that old school in 2004, so... That type of stuff got updated as it came. I went over in old school DCUs the first time, switched to ACUs just before coming home but only got one set. Like I said, funding is all over the map, but you can get what you need with a decent CoC and a little motivation. And consistently kicking ass helps too. ;)

So true! That's incredible that you got sent to so many schools/sites. Very rare in the NG unless absolutely necessary. And even then... A buddy of mine waited over a year to get sent to OBC after commissioning. He was ready to lose it! I seriously lucked out and took cadet slots to do Airborne, Mountain Warfare, and Robin Sage. My unit only had to send me to Air Assault (requirement in that unit), BNCOC and PLDC.

Yeah, was a real interesting gig. Basically, a combat arms training company was started in my state to prepare troops for deployments. We had three sections if you will:

1) Survival: Focused on basic survival scenarios and even had an FTX, the primary instructors were sent to SERE school, and additional function of this section was to provide air assault and high angle training as one of the instructors was a DOD rappel master.

2) Weapons: Focused on small arms training with a curriculum that roughly mirrored many of the civi shooting schools. We had two courses, one focusing on the M4 and the other on the M9. We were known to do custom training as well. We decided to go with a civi format because at the time BRM in the National Guard was basically go to the range and shoot at static, paper targets. We decided a more realistic experience where you had to actually move, think, manipulate and navigate your weapon safely was more beneficial. We felt learning how to access your magazine and do an emergency reload while coordinating with a team and activities of that nature were also important.

3) MOUNT: We utilised an abandon prison and spent an entire weekend training a unit in urban combat using simmunition conversion kits for the M4 and M9. The prison complex was massive and multileveled with many rooms and hallways. In addition, much of the structure such as desks, chairs, and so on were present and in severe disrepair. It really had a hostile and real feel, combined with the history of a bloody riot the experience was very intimidating. Following the training, the company had to prepare an OPORDER and plan an attack on the complex.

I spent most of my time with the weapons team but crosse trained in rappel master duties so I could be an instructor for the state when various agencies called for rappel training. In addition, I would spend some time with the MOUNT guys with a large company as an extra cadre even OPFOR. Did not really like being OPFOR because it involved being hit multiple times with sim rounds and dealing with the occasional flash bang. However, my self and the other medic would make a "death room" with the most horrific wounds possible if the company wanted their medic to have a little extra training. We are talking hamburger meat, real bones, and cottage cheese for white matter. When I was working AGR, I would spend most of the week on the border then nearly every weekend at drill. Every few weeks or so, I was off to another school. I was even deployed to the South following Katrina. That was an interesting experience.

I still think the company is doing a similar programme to this day. A side note; all the information I have presented is public record and even documented in magazines. No OPSEC issues here. In addition, I actually really enjoyed PLDC. I was scheduled to do a dignitary protection school and was pretty upset that I was pulled to do PLDC but I made E5. However, all my expectations were exceeded and I have nothing but kudos for the programme I completed.

Take care,

chbare.

Yeah, was a real interesting gig. Basically, a combat arms training company was started in my state to prepare troops for deployments. We had three sections if you will:

1) Survival: Focused on basic survival scenarios and even had an FTX, the primary instructors were sent to SERE school, and additional function of this section was to provide air assault and high angle training as one of the instructors was a DOD rappel master.

2) Weapons: Focused on small arms training with a curriculum that roughly mirrored many of the civi shooting schools. We had two courses, one focusing on the M4 and the other on the M9. We were known to do custom training as well. We decided to go with a civi format because at the time BRM in the National Guard was basically go to the range and shoot at static, paper targets. We decided a more realistic experience where you had to actually move, think, manipulate and navigate your weapon safely was more beneficial. We felt learning how to access your magazine and do an emergency reload while coordinating with a team and activities of that nature were also important.

3) MOUNT: We utilised an abandon prison and spent an entire weekend training a unit in urban combat using simmunition conversion kits for the M4 and M9. The prison complex was massive and multileveled with many rooms and hallways. In addition, much of the structure such as desks, chairs, and so on were present and in severe disrepair. It really had a hostile and real feel, combined with the history of a bloody riot the experience was very intimidating. Following the training, the company had to prepare an OPORDER and plan an attack on the complex.

I spent most of my time with the weapons team but crosse trained in rappel master duties so I could be an instructor for the state when various agencies called for rappel training. In addition, I would spend some time with the MOUNT guys with a large company as an extra cadre even OPFOR. Did not really like being OPFOR because it involved being hit multiple times with sim rounds and dealing with the occasional flash bang. However, my self and the other medic would make a "death room" with the most horrific wounds possible if the company wanted their medic to have a little extra training. We are talking hamburger meat, real bones, and cottage cheese for white matter. When I was working AGR, I would spend most of the week on the border then nearly every weekend at drill. Every few weeks or so, I was off to another school. I was even deployed to the South following Katrina. That was an interesting experience.

I still think the company is doing a similar programme to this day. A side note; all the information I have presented is public record and even documented in magazines. No OPSEC issues here. In addition, I actually really enjoyed PLDC. I was scheduled to do a dignitary protection school and was pretty upset that I was pulled to do PLDC but I made E5. However, all my expectations were exceeded and I have nothing but kudos for the programme I completed.

Take care,

chbare.

That's sweet! I had the opportunity to do some really good MOUT training in Toledo, using a bunch of old warehouses and apt buildings scheduled to be retrofitted. Huge operation with multiple units out of Ohio and Michigan, we took over the streets for a Saturday. Great training, best I experienced outside NTC. We got pretty intense with our medics then and often, doing the hamburger etc thing, especially after our first Iraq tour. We knew what to expect and made sure our newbies were as prepped as possible and could handle stress.

I also enjoyed PLDC, even though I'd had a great deal of the same stuff in ROTC. It was a good experience.

Where did you go for Katrina? I was with the first wave into New Orleans and spent almost 3 months down there.

That's sweet! I had the opportunity to do some really good MOUT training in Toledo, using a bunch of old warehouses and apt buildings scheduled to be retrofitted. Huge operation with multiple units out of Ohio and Michigan, we took over the streets for a Saturday. Great training, best I experienced outside NTC. We got pretty intense with our medics then and often, doing the hamburger etc thing, especially after our first Iraq tour. We knew what to expect and made sure our newbies were as prepped as possible and could handle stress.

I also enjoyed PLDC, even though I'd had a great deal of the same stuff in ROTC. It was a good experience.

Where did you go for Katrina? I was with the first wave into New Orleans and spent almost 3 months down there.

Our QRF unit was attached to task force Plaquemines. I was actually able to liaise with local EMS providers and helped them along with local nurses and physicians of the community set up a small ER out of a local church. The EMS units would base out of the parking lot and bring patients to us in the clinic. We also did a bunch of immunizations. I mostly did this during the night, then helped with various QRF activities during the day. That was basically looking for anything to do. We even received phone calls from locals to do welfare checks on pets. We spent a few days sleeping in various buildings before settling down in a local high school near the neighborhood of Algiers, but we were located on the other side of the river and either drove a van or quads across the bridge into the city proper.

Take care,

chbare.

Ah, ok. We staged out of the airport for search and rescue operations. That was a trip - Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Army and civilian SAR teams all together. Being air assault, we got split up and hauled into air rescue teams as soon as we got boots on the ground. I spent most of my air time in a USAR bird out of Houston with a green PFC from my outfit and a Navy Reserve corpsman who'd never been in a helo, haha. It was very cool to work with so many different people. We got moved into security ops later on. Never thought I'd be shot at by American citizens.

Doc D. Welcome to the city.......

AM 571 here...... I have 14 in with 10 of those AD. 4 tours to the sand box. I know Taji and Sadr better than my own neighborhood.

To be honest, I just put in to go back to AD. Anywho....

Be cool, stay safe, and remember to duck!

SSG K.

Damn, CH, I am jealous!!!! I never in my 18 years of M-day and AGR had oportunities like those!!!!

Doc D. Welcome to the city.......

AM 571 here...... I have 14 in with 10 of those AD. 4 tours to the sand box. I know Taji and Sadr better than my own neighborhood.

To be honest, I just put in to go back to AD. Anywho....

Be cool, stay safe, and remember to duck!

SSG K.

Seargents, what unit are yall apart of? (standing at parade rest lol)

Seargents, what unit are yall apart of? (standing at parade rest lol)

I spent the first 12 years of my career with several uunits in the 29th ID(L). I have since been working at various positions at the Army NAtional Guard Readiness Center. I am technically assigned to HQ Company US Army at Ft Myer, VA. IT is the largest Company in the Army with over 1,000 Soldiers assigned. I was 11B and am now a 32A, being trying to get a reclass to 68W, but there are few slots available where I work so I am SOL.

I will probably hang up the uniform in a few years. I am currently working on my Masters in Emergency and Disaster Management so I can move into a civilian job when the time comes.

I have been a civilian EMT for about 5 years. I love it. During my divorce I spent about 8 months living in the station which lead to running a lot of calls and giving me a lot of experience!

I am also from the DC area, but in NOVA. Living in Arlington, I volunteer in Carles County, MD where I was living prior to divorce.

Take care and good luck.

SSG G

I spent the first 12 years of my career with several uunits in the 29th ID(L). I have since been working at various positions at the Army NAtional Guard Readiness Center. I am technically assigned to HQ Company US Army at Ft Myer, VA. IT is the largest Company in the Army with over 1,000 Soldiers assigned. I was 11B and am now a 32A, being trying to get a reclass to 68W, but there are few slots available where I work so I am SOL.

I will probably hang up the uniform in a few years. I am currently working on my Masters in Emergency and Disaster Management so I can move into a civilian job when the time comes.

I have been a civilian EMT for about 5 years. I love it. During my divorce I spent about 8 months living in the station which lead to running a lot of calls and giving me a lot of experience!

I am also from the DC area, but in NOVA. Living in Arlington, I volunteer in Carles County, MD where I was living prior to divorce.

Take care and good luck.

SSG G

Your gonna hate fort sam houston seargent......its like not a military base. More officers then enlisted personell there. Tons of butter bars straight out of OCS. Its really funny when you walk by and salute them and they freeze up and dont know what to do.

Edited by Doc D

Its really funny when you walk by and salute them and they freeze up and dont know what to do.

Haha, that is entertaining. True about Ft. Sam, but I didn't mind it too much. I have plenty of good memories there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.