Alberta College of Paramedics AGM

AGM is not just a Canada thing. It's an Annual General Meeting. In this case of the Alberta College of Paramedics. Where College equals a professional oversight body, rather than an academic institution.

That is all the help I can be on this thread I'm afraid. Not an Alberta provider.

Annual General Meeting, because as members of the college we get to vote on any resolutions the college wants to pass, so we all get together once a year, then complain about the results for the rest of the year

Basically the AGM was same BS, different year. We were informed that the Computer Based Testing (CBT) which has been under development since 2005, and has a whole lotta money into it, is now canceled.

Apparantly Health Disciplines Act is "just around the corner" which we've been hearing forever too.

And the college was stating that they are a governing body, so they can no longer do association type functions...such as perhaps try to bring the trade show back to AGM in a bid to draw more members out.

Speaking of members, we had maybe 250 members represented at the meeting, with not even 100 there in person, the rest were prox's.

Major bone of contention during the meeting was the inability of our membership to get in contact with our ELECTED governing council. A motion was passed for the college to establish e-mail's for them through the college, as their contact information cannot be posted due to FOIP issues. So we'll see what happens.

A bit was said about the national stratagy ACP is helping develop. Two new members were voted to council.

All in all the AGM has me debating whether or not I want to go next year ( which I probably will because if I don't go vote, I have no right bitch).

On the bright side the education sessions on friday were good!

• 2 weeks later...
Basically the AGM was same BS, different year. We were informed that the Computer Based Testing (CBT) which has been under development since 2005, and has a whole lotta money into it, is now canceled.

Wonderful, gald to see that our college is making good use of our ever increasing membership dues. Any explanation as to why it was cancelled?

Ashes, did they7 hand out a package which includes the year end financial statements? I asked for a copy last year, and was told that financial statements are only provided to members who show up at the AGM. Personally, I think that the financial statements should be available on the website - we should be able to see where our funds are going. I am assuming that the statements have to be audited, based on the dollar values alone.

That whole CBT thing makes me mad... what a waste of money - they could have subcontracted it out to organizations who already use CBT, paid them, altered some of the questions to meet our scopes, and been done, rather than take the route they did.

Was there any discussion on why there has been so much staff turnover at ACP?

It isn't rocket science to add email addresses to a website.... I have it for my business... it took 10 minutes, cost me almost nothing, and I can have up to 200 email addresses, with 5 main emails having 5G storage, and the rest smaller amounts (when the day comes that I have 200 employees, I will be laying on a beach somewhere..) so if ACP says it can't be done or costs too much, I will call their bluff.

I wish I could have gone, but I was working, and already covering for someone who had a family emergency, so I couldn't have made it.

I do wish ACP would provide more information to those of us who can't make it to AGM. It isn't like we can just shut the province down for the day so we can all attend.

Wonderful, gald to see that our college is making good use of our ever increasing membership dues. Any explanation as to why it was cancelled?

Apparantly all this money was being paid out for it, however nothing was being accomplished.....(furnish typical appropriate government jokes here)....

Apparantly elements of the vignette's that were written for CBT are going to be brought into the current written exam process, so not a complete loss.

Or so they say......who knows....

Ashes, did they7 hand out a package which includes the year end financial statements? Yes they did. If I get a chance I will scan it and e-mail you a copy, if you like.

I asked for a copy last year, and was told that financial statements are only provided to members who show up at the AGM. Personally, I think that the financial statements should be available on the website - we should be able to see where our funds are going. Agreed

I am assuming that the statements have to be audited, based on the dollar values alone. That they are.

That whole CBT thing makes me mad... what a waste of money - they could have subcontracted it out to organizations who already use CBT, paid them, altered some of the questions to meet our scopes, and been done, rather than take the route they did. Fully AGREED!

Was there any discussion on why there has been so much staff turnover at ACP? No, nothing was mentioned.

It isn't rocket science to add email addresses to a website.... I have it for my business... it took 10 minutes, cost me almost nothing, and I can have up to 200 email addresses, with 5 main emails having 5G storage, and the rest smaller amounts (when the day comes that I have 200 employees, I will be laying on a beach somewhere..) so if ACP says it can't be done or costs too much, I will call their bluff. LOL

I wish I could have gone, but I was working, and already covering for someone who had a family emergency, so I couldn't have made it.

I do wish ACP would provide more information to those of us who can't make it to AGM. It isn't like we can just shut the province down for the day so we can all attend. Agreed. Considering the nature of our profession, we are always going to have issues bringing large numbers of people together for this meeting due to work schedules. Add in large amounts of ACP related Apathy....not much wonder that ACP is doing whatever the hell they want.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.