Taking Vitals

snoopy911

We need to determine liability in terms of company policy- depending on what that is- and the system's medical policies. In the eyes of my department, I am responsible for everything that happens on the rig- I am the officer. Even if I do not violate a system medical policy, I can still receive discipline if my partner does something stupid- mouths off to a patient or nurse, or violates a department policy. Another example- since I always am with the patient, my partner drives. If he gets in an accident and it's determined to be his fault, then I may receive discipline, depending on the type of accident- ie at an intersection.

How would you get discipline if you were in the back with a patient and your partner got in an accident? Not being accusatory, just curious.

How would you get discipline if you were in the back with a patient and your partner got in an accident? Not being accusatory, just curious.

I think he meant if he was in the passenger seat.

If his service hands out discipline for wrecks when he's in the back, then that's a screwed up system.

I'm sure he'll clarify soon

I know that AMR when I worked for them as well as my last service I worked for, did a drug test of both crew members if an accident happened while driving. It's their way of fulfilling the random drug test promise they make to every employee when they get hired.

We do random drug testing but we only do it when that random employee injury or damage to hospital/employer property occurs.

We don't do it consistently though. You have to have that random accident or we don't do drug tests.

If you are going to do random drug tests do what the airlines do. The plane arrives at the terminal. There is a supervisor at the gate and she goes into the plane and everyone pee's in a cup right then and there. You never know when it's your turn but every single day depending on the airport, 1/8th of the crews get tested. I learned this from a Frontier airlines (HOT HOT HOT) flight attendant.

I think he meant if he was in the passenger seat.

No, I think he was pretty clear what he meant:

Another example- since I always am with the patient, my partner drives. If he gets in an accident and it's determined to be his fault, then I may receive discipline, depending on the type of accident- ie at an intersection.

EMS Student Pet Peeve!

But when I hear someone say 120/80, I tell them to check it again on the other arm. But on the ambulance, I'd sooner do it myself, than rely on NIBP, just personal preference.

Wouldnt a manual BP done by hand vs. Lifepak still be considered NIBP ??

how would a manual bp be considered NIBP?

Simple. Is a manual blood pressure invasive? I know that's not how the term is used as a part of normal nomenclature, but...

Edited by JPINFV

Morale of the story you probably should have worked through this with the guy first.

That's sad but true.

Its like pissing in a wetsuit. Talking it through with the person in questions sounds all warm and fuzzy but you just know the situation is going to stink later on anyway.

I'm inclined to let the minor stuff slide, but be prepared to stick to your guns and / or take over a case when they are fucking it up royally. The truth is even when you are morally and ethically correct you still have to be prepared appear to be the criminal first.... which is a pretty piss poor component of ambulance. I know its a bit of a cop out but somewhere in here there has to be some self preservation. Let the small stuff slide, drop some reasonably unsubtle hints suggested before and fight the ones where you are assured of a win.

And annihilate them when they place patients in danger :D

Edited by BushyFromOz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.