Taking Vitals

snoopy911

Kudos to you for reporting him and I am sorry it has turned out the way it has for you because of it.

It is a shame there are companies out there that operate like that, I believe if it were not for that type, EMS would have a better reputation. It irritates me that someone like your former partner has a job as an EMT and I can't manage to find one in my area. I want to continue on to Paramedic school, but I have to get more stability first and being able to work as an EMT-B while I get there would be great (right now I just volunteer with local the rescue squad).

Good luck, I hope the next position you find lands you in a better situation!

Syri

1.Maybe this is a stupid question, but I have no idea how to get a hold of my service's medical director.

Contact your EMS Council. They will be able to tell you who it is, and how to contact them.

Snoopy,

If you are working for a service in PA, contact the EMS Federation, they should be able to tell you who your medical director is. If you are working in MD, contact MIEMSS and they can give you the information you seek.

Medicare fraud is HUGE. I worked private service in Baltimore for many years, and about ten years ago there was a service that was convicted of Medicare fraud. This company was gigantic, with a huge critical care program, and the contract for what was then MedStar (some 7 or so hospitals). They ran a fleet of 30 or so trucks during the day. They were fined 6.2 million dollars, and not eligible to bill Medicare any longer. It shut them down to one BLS truck and they could only do private pay or medicaid runs at 75 bucks a pop. It devastated that place.

Keep fighting. If they do anything to you for being a whistle-blower, it's illegal, and you'd have a lawsuit, so long as you could prove it. Document, document, document. Keep a diary, keep to yourself, and be a fly on the wall. Observe and record everything. Most of all, keep your nose as clean as you can, so they have no reason to treat you unfairly or terminate you. Should they terminate you, get your unemployment.

You're doing the right thing. I'm proud to know there are people in this business that still care about why we are here, to take care of people properly, and to the best of our ability, and to never stop being an advocate for what is right.

Edited by EMS49393

I think people are missing the point that I was trying to make. I don't find being restricted from driving as being that big of a punishment.

For me right now it is, because I was promised to move to their office at a peds hospital, which is working with their critical care transport team, and it required driving halfway and being in the back the other half. Which I am not able to do now. And I am allowed to stay with the service, but I have to stay at their corporate offices, which is a 60 mile each way commute, and I am making almost 4 dollars less there. That barely covers that gas. It's not worth it.

Snoopy,

If you are working for a service in PA, contact the EMS Federation, they should be able to tell you who your medical director is. If you are working in MD, contact MIEMSS and they can give you the information you seek.

Medicare fraud is HUGE. I worked private service in Baltimore for many years, and about ten years ago there was a service that was convicted of Medicare fraud. This company was gigantic, with a huge critical care program, and the contract for what was then MedStar (some 7 or so hospitals). They ran a fleet of 30 or so trucks during the day. They were fined 6.2 million dollars, and not eligible to bill Medicare any longer. It shut them down to one BLS truck and they could only do private pay or medicaid runs at 75 bucks a pop. It devastated that place.

Keep fighting. If they do anything to you for being a whistle-blower, it's illegal, and you'd have a lawsuit, so long as you could prove it. Document, document, document. Keep a diary, keep to yourself, and be a fly on the wall. Observe and record everything. Most of all, keep your nose as clean as you can, so they have no reason to treat you unfairly or terminate you. Should they terminate you, get your unemployment.

You're doing the right thing. I'm proud to know there are people in this business that still care about why we are here, to take care of people properly, and to the best of our ability, and to never stop being an advocate for what is right.

Thank you for the reassurance. It's hard when I feel like I'm doing the right thing and I got bit in the ass. Yes I am working in MD, i bet you can guess the service.

Whether I have the same license as my partner or nor isn't really material. If I drive and my partner (Basic for the sake of argument) techs, and on the way to the hospital he performs a thoracotomy, that's on him. Many people drive trucks that they can't even see their partners in during transport- not that they should be taking their eyes off the road/mirrors anyway.

But since we're talking about paperwork- everybody's name goes onto ours a matter of record, EMT numbers on the bubble side that goes to the state, but mine's the only signature, or my partner's, or whoever (if we happen to be running with a 3rd that day). If I teched and my partner drove, there's probably 2-3 sets of vitals and whatever treatments I provide to document, that my partner had zero to do with. And vice versa if the roles were reversed.

If I ignore protocol and throw the patient a nitro with a BP of 80, my driver/partner is no more responsible for that than the hospital janitor.

We need to determine liability in terms of company policy- depending on what that is- and the system's medical policies. In the eyes of my department, I am responsible for everything that happens on the rig- I am the officer. Even if I do not violate a system medical policy, I can still receive discipline if my partner does something stupid- mouths off to a patient or nurse, or violates a department policy. Another example- since I always am with the patient, my partner drives. If he gets in an accident and it's determined to be his fault, then I may receive discipline, depending on the type of accident- ie at an intersection.

We need to determine liability in terms of company policy- depending on what that is- and the system's medical policies. In the eyes of my department, I am responsible for everything that happens on the rig- I am the officer. Even if I do not violate a system medical policy, I can still receive discipline if my partner does something stupid- mouths off to a patient or nurse, or violates a department policy. Another example- since I always am with the patient, my partner drives. If he gets in an accident and it's determined to be his fault, then I may receive discipline, depending on the type of accident- ie at an intersection.

That's senseless. There are just some things you can't control, other peoples actions are one of them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.