85 or 99? What to do?

Which test to take?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

I went to the first of my EMT-I classes tonight. Seems we have a choice between taking the 1985 or the 1999 NR exam once we pass the class. The teacher kinda encouraged us to opt for the 85 one, saying it was easier and just as valid, but it doesn't cover as much material and can effect the scope of practice our medical director allows. Anyone have any suggestions? I told the teacher I wanted to take the 99 test, but I get the feeling he's not happy about it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are taking a class that will allow you to test for the I-99 why would you want to limit yourself to the protocols and skill set of an I-85? That would be my take on it anyways. I don't care if the 85 is easier, I would go for the 99.

Most states/counties/etc won't recognize the I-85 anymore, so if you take it you will effectively be wasting your time if your region is one that doesn't.

Your instructor could very well be looking out for his own job in discouraging you to take the I-99 test. By limiting, or promoting his students to take the I-85 test, he won't have to work nearly as hard to prepare, and he will be able to hold another class later for the students that want to advance.

I hope that I am wrong of my take on the situation, but something smells of fish.

Also, let me mention this:

As I said, my Intermediate class also gave the choice. The catch was, to enter into the Paramedic Program, you had to be I-99, and if you were I-85, you had to do a Bridge program that was 6 weeks of class and 250 hours of Clinical time, and then you were permitted to enroll into the P program.

Make sure that this is not the case with your program, and either way, I would still suggest the I-99 level.

I want my medic, but couldn't afford the classes. This one was free and after it is completed I can put in enough volunteer hours to "earn" the grant for medic.

That's awesome that you have that option! Kudos to your service for providing such an opportunity.

What part of Texas are you in?