New Ambulace Standards...LED Lighting

Confirming that the NYPD, on the new cars coming into service, have the "Rumbler" effect on the siren. As for the Electronic Q, I haven't heard it, but suspected it would be as described here.

Oh okay, thanks, wasn't sure if that was it for if there were variations.

tskstorm: Are you in EMS long enough to remember the Federal "Q" siren? Loudest vehicle mounted electrical/mechanical siren I know of, and actually needed a brake to stop it. I had one on my first ambulance, itself a Caddylance.

I love the Q brake, sounds like something from an old movie. Kinda funny when used at just the right time. Federal Q sure got it right.

We've also been using the LED lights for some time now. It beats the old rotators in the dark hands down.

On our newest vehicles we now have LED's in the patient care compartment, beats the heck out of the domes!

beats the heck out of the domes!

Arrgh, I've had a few times were I thought I might have given myself a cracked skull on those. Sadly we still have the dome fluorescent ones in the patient care compartments

Arrgh, I've had a few times were I thought I might have given myself a cracked skull on those. Sadly we still have the dome fluorescent ones in the patient care compartments

Yup the knew ones are flush with the ceiling. and have 6-7 medium sized LED's lighting it up!

Not to mention less drain on the batteries too

Our batteries die all the time, its an unfortunate side effect of having vehicles run 24/7 without being turned off. So once they do get turned off, don't usually turn back on!

Sadly we still have the dome fluorescent ones in the patient care compartments

What? The last florescent lighting sets I had seen were over 10 years ago, in surplus military ambulances that FDNY purchased for other than EMS usage, like the computer and radio repair service dudes and dudettes.

What? The last florescent lighting sets I had seen were over 10 years ago, in surplus military ambulances that FDNY purchased for other than EMS usage, like the computer and radio repair service dudes and dudettes.

Whats in your trucks now ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.