New Ambulace Standards...LED Lighting

Damn....if they go to the LED lighting, then the title of this business saga "As the Beacon Rotates" will have to be changed. Oh, well, the spin-off "As the Siren Wails" will always have it's place.............

tskstorm: Are you in EMS long enough to remember the Federal "Q" siren? Loudest vehicle mounted electrical/mechanical siren I know of, and actually needed a brake to stop it. I had one on my first ambulance, itself a Caddylance.

We have an electronic version of the Q in our ambulances. It doesn't sound as good, but it sure is loud. Works well for heavy traffic.

On our newer units, all of the emergency lights are LEDs. They are brighter, use less energy, and last longer.

Edited by Fox800

Our oldest vehicles are 2006 (spares, and their on their way out come summer) but their lighting package doesn't have rotating anything, just lensed strobes. All our 2008 and onwards Demers trucks are 100% LED on the warning systems. Scene lighting is still standard; I guess LED's don't have the same throw.

I think a few of the trucks in our northern neighbour service still have some rotaters in their older trucks.

We have an electronic version of the Q in our ambulances. It doesn't sound as good, but it sure is loud. Works well for heavy traffic.

On our newer units, all of the emergency lights are LEDs. They are brighter, use less energy, and last longer.

I've taken a liking to the NYPD Siren that sends out vibrations! Clears people the heck out of the way!

I've taken a liking to the NYPD Siren that sends out vibrations! Clears people the heck out of the way!

Are they using the Federal Signal 'Rumbler'?

Here's a website that lists several siren manufacturers and their products:

http://trashtrampoline.org/sigs/supersiren/

Under Federal Signal is a button for 'Real Q' which sounds like the old Federal Q siren. There's also the 'Rumbler' which has that 'vibration effect', although it might be hard to tell on a computer.

Feel free to kiss it.

Ouch, okay okay truce!

Are they using the Federal Signal 'Rumbler'?

Here's a website that lists several siren manufacturers and their products:

http://trashtrampoline.org/sigs/supersiren/

Under Federal Signal is a button for 'Real Q' which sounds like the old Federal Q siren. There's also the 'Rumbler' which has that 'vibration effect', although it might be hard to tell on a computer.

They might be I'll ask them this weekend at work.

Confirming that the NYPD, on the new cars coming into service, have the "Rumbler" effect on the siren. As for the Electronic Q, I haven't heard it, but suspected it would be as described here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.