New Ambulace Standards...LED Lighting

Speculation and scuttlebutt have reached my ears that the new KKK standards of ambulance lighting is requiring LED warning lights. My questions is, does this also apply to existing ambulances in the field now? Must they be retrofitted to be in compliance? I've googled the hell out of this topic and I can't seem to find squat. Anyone that can help would be wonderful!

MAS Medic:

I went to the Federal GSA website, and found a "live link", where the following conversation happened...

Message.gif?p_db_name=gsa_ict Donna C.: Hi, my name is Donna C.. How may I help you?

Message.gif?p_db_name=gsa_ict Richard : Hi, Donna. I'm acting on behalf of a questioner in the EMT City website. He asks, if someone purchases an ambulance retired only due to age, but still roadworthy, if that ambulance has to be brought up to the most recent ambulance specs, before starting ambulance service by the new purchaser? He feels he's going to have to ditch the vehicle's emergency lighting in favor of LED lighting, which, I think, he believes is the current standard, under KKK-A-1822-F. Could you enlighten us? I will be publishing your response on EMT City (www-emtcity.com).

Message.gif?p_db_name=gsa_ict Donna C.: What state are you in?

Message.gif?p_db_name=gsa_ict Richard : I'm in New York, but have no indication of which state the original questioner is in.

Message.gif?p_db_name=gsa_ict Donna C.: I will be glad to assist with your inquiry. Please give me a few moments while I do some research.

Message.gif?p_db_name=gsa_ict Richard : No problem

Message.gif?p_db_name=gsa_ict Donna C.: Your inquiry would best be addressed by the New York Department of Transportation (NYDOT). The number is (518) 457-6195 .

I can only provide basic government information and referrals on this live chat.

Message.gif?p_db_name=gsa_ict Richard : It will have to do for now. Thanks.

I don't know what state you are in, therefore I suggest you contact the equivalent in your home state. Good luck.

Richard B, the EMT.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

Does anyone miss the rotation sounds of the old lights?

The only "sound of the rotating lights" I am usually aware of, is my dash magnetic mounted light, as it is, after all, INSIDE the car.

tskstorm: Are you in EMS long enough to remember the Federal "Q" siren? Loudest vehicle mounted electrical/mechanical siren I know of, and actually needed a brake to stop it. I had one on my first ambulance, itself a Caddylance.

• Like 1

tskstorm: Are you in EMS long enough to remember the Federal "Q" siren? Loudest vehicle mounted electrical/mechanical siren I know of, and actually needed a brake to stop it. I had one on my first ambulance, itself a Caddylance.

No that was before my time. But right as I was coming up was when the switch from rotating lights to LED's was going on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.