Incomplete training

I was a Paramedic student, whose class ended 1 month before the strike. During my trauma exam, and on the last day of class, a scenario was given, which required a protocol, which was not taught during the exam. Instead of ensuring the class was trained and conversant with the ignored protocols, the Instructor directed all students to the on-car portion of the class. I believe that the students were untrained and that these acts and/or omissions exposed the general public to serious injury hazards.

Would this be a licencing issue? Should I report this to the EMA Licencing Board? How does a student address these issues? Would the instructor be accountable?

No on all accounts. Students should not expect every detail to be spoon fed to them. Perhaps as you were aware that the skills test was coming up you could have taken it upon yourself to study the material?

• Like 1

No on all accounts. Students should not expect every detail to be spoon fed to them. Perhaps as you were aware that the skills test was coming up you could have taken it upon yourself to study the material?

The material was not covered in the class. They tried to pass off the protocols as EMR protocols, misrepresenting that the students were required to be conversent with the protocols prior to the course. However, EMA Licencing Board varified that these ignored protocols were not EMR protocols. I think that if shortcuts were taken, and the general public was exposed to serious injuriy hazards, someone should be accountable.

One thing I can't stand is a dishonest Paramedic Instructor who thinks he is above the Law. If one of the untrained students killed someone, he would cover his ass, at the expense of the student he chose not to train.

The material was not covered in the class. They tried to pass off the protocols as EMR protocols, misrepresenting that the students were required to be conversent with the protocols prior to the course. However, EMA Licencing Board varified that these ignored protocols were not EMR protocols. I think that if shortcuts were taken, and the general public was exposed to serious injuriy hazards, someone should be accountable.

One thing I can't stand is a dishonest Paramedic Instructor who thinks he is above the Law. If one of the untrained students killed someone, he would cover his ass, at the expense of the student he chose not to train.

I have never heard of any proper education where all material was covered in class. If the students do not study and do research they will not learn the material. Any student that expects everything they need to be a Paramedic to be spoken by the instructor is not living in reality. I am not trying to pick on you. Just as an EMS instructor I would hope no student would expect me to verbally tell them all they need. I require students to study if they want to pass.

I have never heard of any proper education where all material was covered in class. If the students do not study and do research they will not learn the material. Any student that expects everything they need to be a Paramedic to be spoken by the instructor is not living in reality. I am not trying to pick on you. Just as an EMS instructor I would hope no student would expect me to verbally tell them all they need. I require students to study if they want to pass.

The protocol was very technical and required several trained assistants. It was never addressed in class and this made it hard to complete.

It should have been discussed in class. The Instructor was quite dishonest about the protocols. There were 30 days before a one-year strike. He was trying to speed up the process to get the students out on car. Because I was unsuccessful at the exam, on the last day of class, I was restricted from completing the class.

If I was not allowed to complete the class, it is reasonable to conclude that the untrained students should not have proceeded to the on-car portion of the course, as well.

One thing I can't stand is a student who fails to appropriately prepare for a practical skill and then places all blame with the threat of regulatory action on the instructor.

Please tell us EXACTLY the nature of this "highly technical" skill that you feel was not presented to you.

While you are at, please validate as to what part the strike played. I feel it to be completely irrelevant.

Maybe then we can adequately have enough information to answer you appropriately.

The protocol was very technical and required several trained assistants. It was never addressed in class and this made it hard to complete.

It should have been discussed in class. The Instructor was quite dishonest about the protocols. There were 30 days before a one-year strike. He was trying to speed up the process to get the students out on car. Because I was unsuccessful at the exam, on the last day of class, I was restricted from completing the class.

If I was not allowed to complete the class, it is reasonable to conclude that the untrained students should not have proceeded to the on-car portion of the course, as well.

Did these "untrained students" successfully complete this exam?

Edited by hall1765

Did these "untrained students" successfully complete this exam?

I was the only one presented with this scenario. Just a lazy instructor. It has been 1.5 years and our Paramedic Accademy has been shut down because of a labour dispute. I am in a process to recover my money. Incomplete training and a 1.5 year delay = Breach of Contract.

Disgruntled because you failed where others passed does not equal the school failing you. There are going to be some fail every quality program. Seems you were one of those and just can not accept that perhaps it is your fault rather than someone else's.

One thing I can't stand is a student who fails to appropriately prepare for a practical skill and then places all blame with the threat of regulatory action on the instructor.

Please tell us EXACTLY the nature of this "highly technical" skill that you feel was not presented to you.

While you are at, please validate as to what part the strike played. I feel it to be completely irrelevant.

Maybe then we can adequately have enough information to answer you appropriately.

The strike occurred 30 days after the course ended. It shut down our Paramedic Academy since March 2009. Only one student completed the on-car portion of the class since March 2009. Ignoring the required training was just a shortcut to expedite the process to avoid the strike. I am recovering my money because of the amount of time. I am not going to attempt to take further training after 1.5 years. They have acted in an unprofessional manner

Disgruntled because you failed where others passed does not equal the school failing you. There are going to be some fail every quality program. Seems you were one of those and just can not accept that perhaps it is your fault rather than someone else's.

The EMA Licencing Board disagreed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.