EMS Anthem

Ditto.... Now if only I can find a way to show it to the gangbangers here and see if there's a change in attitude. Nothing scarier that treating a multiple GSW chest and having a firearm shoved into your neck with the holder saying "leave him, let him die".....

The gang bangers have generally left us alone, but I know what you are saying. I had an interesting- and pretty blunt conversation once with a gang banger who had multiple GSW's. It was the usual chaos on the scene, and our patient was pretty out of it- or so I thought. After we worked him up and started transport, he woke him up with some fluids and asked what the commotion on the scene was all about. I told him of a couple comments like you noted- "he was supposed to die, leave him alone," etc. He said they weren't really pissed at us, but this is about their street cred. He said his shooting was payback for a prior incident his gang was involved in. I explained we cannot pick and choose who we work on, and unless the person is obviously dead, we have no choice. His response- "Well, I guess next time they need to do a better job." No remorse, no fear- and completely matter of fact about his situation. Interesting.

Ditto.... Now if only I can find a way to show it to the gangbangers here and see if there's a change in attitude. Nothing scarier that treating a multiple GSW chest and having a firearm shoved into your neck with the holder saying "leave him, let him die".....

Yea, I've had similar situations. I'm happy reminding them I love them as much as everyone else.

Yea, I've had similar situations. I'm happy reminding them I love them as much as everyone else.

My take has been to say that "I cannot show favoritism, and as such, I cannot recognize gang 'colors', and have to treat the worst hurt first". Getting them (the other guy) hurt was "your job, mine is patching them up for the cops", and regrettably, that they can go at each other again, somewhere down the road.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.