EMS Anthem

I don't see it.

I have yet to see Nurses, Lab tech's, lawyers, Vetinarians, or any other profession doing rap video's on youtube to advance thier profession.

As far as the music scene goes.... Rap really is one of the lowest denominators out there, (OK Justin Bieber may be worse).

It is my opinion that rap is associated with violence..... not health care.

Ok, maybe these don't "advance" the profession, but they still show the professions in a similar artistic light. I, like others, am not a fan of rap/hip hop... and for those who like a little more harmony, check out the "Breathe" video...

(Diagnosis Wenchebach)

(Breathe)

(footloose: Nursing School Style - ok, this one is really weak...)

(UAB Emergency Room Rap)

It could be worse.... I wonder how many kids grew up wanting to be big rig truckers after the song "Convoy" came out....

For the record, rap was never intended to be angry, violent, or thuggish. It was intended to be a modern spin on African folk music and Motown type music. It was made angry, violent, and thuggish by the ill-mannered and ill-parented children/young adults of today and it's not the only genre to have suffered this. I am a fan of several different types of music from country to rock to rap, and I refuse to listen to the garbage they play on the radio anymore. This song gets back to the heart and soul of what rap was intended to be. Motivating and/or uplifting music that sends a message. Instead of downing on an entire genre of music and every person associated with it, how about looking at it as an individual song. Is it geared toward inner city youth? Possibly, maybe even probably. But who better to serve the inner city population than someone who was raised there and understands the unique circumstances of such an area? It serves to draw in people who otherwise may not even realize what EMS is all about or that they, too, can be a member of the profession. Or are they not good enough because they weren't lucky enough to be born middle- or upper- class? If this is the song it takes to get them motivated to become more than what they were born, in EMS or elsewhere, so be it.

P.S. I have heard through the grape vine that the FDNY funded this project.

Yet they want us to pay for their bailout. Idiots.

Yet they want us to pay for their bailout. Idiots.

Hi...This is Farooq creator of Call 911 FDNY and EMS ANTHEM. I ran into this post and just wanted to dispel any rumor about the FDNY funding any of my videos. Although they were very supportive of my efforts to raise awareness about and give tribute to EMS, they DID NOT fund any of my projects. These were at my own expense. Now whether you like them or not is an entirely different issue, something I won't really address. I know my intentions were positive and supportive of EMS. Take care and be safe.

Farooq Muhammad

• Like 2

Hi...This is Farooq creator of Call 911 FDNY and EMS ANTHEM. I ran into this post and just wanted to dispel any rumor about the FDNY funding any of my videos. Although they were very supportive of my efforts to raise awareness about and give tribute to EMS, they DID NOT fund any of my projects. These were at my own expense. Now whether you like them or not is an entirely different issue, something I won't really address. I know my intentions were positive and supportive of EMS. Take care and be safe.

Farooq Muhammad

Thanks for posting. You said your intentions were positive and supportive of EMS. I don't doubt that. Any other reasons for doing it? Are you interested pursuing a career in the media arts or was this just for fun? You certainly have a knack for this. Maybe the department can use your talents.

Obviously folks here have differing opinions on what exactly this can do for our profession, but I don't think anyone was questioning your integrity.

Although I'm not a fan of rap, it was certainly well done.

Good luck.

For the record, rap was never intended to be angry, violent, or thuggish. It was intended to be a modern spin on African folk music and Motown type music. It was made angry, violent, and thuggish by the ill-mannered and ill-parented children/young adults of today and it's not the only genre to have suffered this. I am a fan of several different types of music from country to rock to rap, and I refuse to listen to the garbage they play on the radio anymore. This song gets back to the heart and soul of what rap was intended to be. Motivating and/or uplifting music that sends a message. Instead of downing on an entire genre of music and every person associated with it, how about looking at it as an individual song. Is it geared toward inner city youth? Possibly, maybe even probably. But who better to serve the inner city population than someone who was raised there and understands the unique circumstances of such an area? It serves to draw in people who otherwise may not even realize what EMS is all about or that they, too, can be a member of the profession. Or are they not good enough because they weren't lucky enough to be born middle- or upper- class? If this is the song it takes to get them motivated to become more than what they were born, in EMS or elsewhere, so be it.

It's unfortunate that some people are bashing my music just because I chose rap to express myself and raise awareness about EMS. I know that my words and message are very positive. I thank you for understanding what I tried to do. What you stated is almost exactly how I feel regarding this subject. I grew up in those tough streets of Brooklyn and not middle class, struggling to survive the harsh environment surrounding me. I was fortunate enough to escape the obstacle of traps set forth in my path. Lucky enough to go to college and get an education. I hope to reach others like me who need to know that they can also be anything they want to become and also show the public what EMS is capable of. We're not just ambulance drivers. Thanks again for showing support. Good luck with everything you do.

Farooq Muhammad

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.