Canadin College of EMS.

Hello all,

I am thinking of participating in the EMT program they are offering this July 5 2010 in Edmonton Alberta. I received my letter of acceptance last week so I decided to visit the local Ambulance station to ask what their opinion is good or bad when it comes to Canadian College of EMS. The 5 EMT that I talked with all had said the same thing about Canadian College of EMS and that was to "stay away" oddly enough no one could give me a reason for their comment. One EMT did say it has been difficult for them to place students for their practicum. I am reaching out to members here for opinions on the school and list reasons for negative or positive feedback if you have any. One thing said to me by a staff member of the school, that they are in transition and have been making changes to the program for the past year it is getting very difficult t make any kind of decision about training. Seems like everyone of the schools I have visited say all the right things and leave me with a good impression about their facility any input you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

Andy.

Edited by eightyonegs11

The Flock of Seagulls song comes to mind... "and I ran, ran so far away"

Seriously, If your planning on going to EMT school in Edmonton, I'd suggest NAIT. They are a solid school with a good reputation. I don't know when their program starts, however. So, if you really, really want to start in July, then maybe CC of EMS is your only choice. They are still CMA approved for the EMT program, but recently lost approval for their paramedic program, so obviously there are some problems with the school. They have had a bad reputation in the past, but perhaps, as you say they have made some changes, and a bad rep is hard to shake. However, I'd be very careful going to this school, and you may want to ask them specifically what changes they have made to make the program better.

Good Luck.

Hello Andy,

I agree with HellBells.

Go to a public school. For example NAIT.

Private schools are a business. Therefore, profit driven and the owners have more 'freedoms' if you will as to how they treat students and what they do to students. Good or bad.

A public school, like NAIT, has rules, regulations and standards. Plus, clinical sites.

Lastly, transcripts. An actually college (...just isn't using the word 'college'...) will have them. So, years from now their is a record of what you have done. An academic record that can be sent to other colleges and universities that you may want to attend.

Heck, I knew people who went to Lifeskills Risk & Rescue in Banff/Canmore. Their only proof of an actual education is a cheap certificate printed on a crap computer printer.

Go to a publicly funded and accredited school. IMHO.

Edited by DartmouthDave

I sent you a message, but didn't realize you were in Edmonton lol. Seeing as how you live in Edmonton, I'd suggest NAIT. My buddy just went thru the EMT program at CCEMS and he didn't have a good time at all. I'd personally recommend PMA in either St. Alberta, or Calgary. That's where I am going right now, and it's a very good school.

Yesterday I met with CCEMS to discuss comments made about the school by ambulance services I visited recently, the correct thing to do was give them the opportunity to discuss and explain those issues.I had the opportunity to meet with the new program director who is also one of the lead instructors, he appears to be a very educated and experienced practician. We talked for a good hour showing and explaining to me changes that are being implemented this July and those that are in place as of April. CCEMS will be reapplying for CMA accreditation and now recognize the importance of such certification. Now using Mosby paramedic book and ECG the easy way, they are implementing computer based testing (laptops will be required for the course & they have laptop for use also), all lectures from classes will be available as pod casts for students to download they have other server based resources now available to the students via lan and wan server. Chris the new program director is very committed to changing the reputation of CCEMS and also very dedicated to the success of each student only time will tell how successful they become.I was very happy and excited about the changes implemented. I have decided to attend CCEMS this July to complete my EMT training, I will update this post as I progress through the program.

I have no experience with shools in Alberta, but there was one comment you made that caught my eye. That is that the CCEMS was going to apply for CMA Accreditation. It is important, especially if you plan to look for work out side Alberta. One point of caution, accreditation is not retroactive. This means you have to be an active student when the accreditation process is in place and granted. If you graduate before CMA makes it recommendation then your class is not accredited. Don't let CCEMS let you think otherwise. I have been involved in several accreditation's for schools in eastern Canada, and I know this for a fact. Good luck with your EMS education.

OM

I guess as far as schools go, everyone will have their own opinions, for good or bad. Every school has their good points, every one has their bad. Best bet is make your decision, which you have, and make the best out of it. Take whatever you can from the course, ask questions, and be an advocate for yourself, so you can get the best out of the education for which you are paying.

CCEMS has never actually had CMA accreditation for their EMT program. Come to think of it, they never had it for the medic program either. The medic program disappeared around 2 years ago I believe, not entirely sure why but I remember seeing it removed from the ACoP approved programs list.

If you want the possibility of future mobility, be smart and take your schooling (EMT or EMT-P) at a school that has their CMA accreditation. Those schools are held to higher standards than that of their non-CMA counterparts. Potential future preceptors and employers will also look at where you have taken your training.

I have never attended CCEMS for any training, however 5 years ago when I was looking at getting into this field I was also at that time cautioned against the school. The things I heard mainly were no CMA accreditation, difficulty with placing for practicum, lack of quality instruction. I attended PMA for my EMT and have both good and bad things to say about it. I am glad however that I did not attend CCEMS, as for the short 5 years I've been in the field the opinions of the school from students/preceptors I know have not changed at all.

• 1 month later...

I won't post on here where I work and get this from first hand, but seeing students from ALL alberta programs, I will tell you up front, the worst students we have seen have come out of CCEMS.

Now what YOU specifically get out of the program, might just work great for you. People's opinions and attitudes about the place can vary so much. Conversations, rumors, exchanges, experiences with either the instructors, preceptors, student can really, affect your view on a program or school.

Unfortunately I have to stay bias free with who we work with, BUT I will also tell you right up front, some of the worst students we've seen and continue to see come out of CCEMS. I honestly have no idea as to the reason for it but it's been affecting practically everyone who's come out of there. Again, you might just turn out to be one of the lucky few who will turn out just fine.

Either wait, good luck with your choice and decision(if its not to late at this point).

I won't post on here where I work and get this from first hand, but seeing students from ALL alberta programs, I will tell you up front, the worst students we have seen have come out of CCEMS.

Now what YOU specifically get out of the program, might just work great for you. People's opinions and attitudes about the place can vary so much. Conversations, rumors, exchanges, experiences with either the instructors, preceptors, student can really, affect your view on a program or school.

Unfortunately I have to stay bias free with who we work with, BUT I will also tell you right up front, some of the worst students we've seen and continue to see come out of CCEMS. I honestly have no idea as to the reason for it but it's been affecting practically everyone who's come out of there. Again, you might just turn out to be one of the lucky few who will turn out just fine.

Either wait, good luck with your choice and decision(if its not to late at this point).

Please define "worst" in a tangible, realistic and non partisan manner. Thanks in Advance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.