"Tricks" of the trade

HERBIE1

Before I saw who posted this, I had only seen some of the top of the picture and I thought the inside of that bus looked familiar. You would have gotten extra points for inverting the stretcher with the equipment strapped to it. Though that is right up there with silly stringing the cab of certain crew in the "Boogie Down" some time ago.

Although that's a great idea sounds very time consuming. Will try it and let you know how it works out :)

Payback. I worked with a nurse some years back who was always hassled by our A&P (airframe and power plant), sort of life an aeroplane or helicopter mechanic. Je would ask her to find non existent things such as "rotor wash" and "blade lubricant." Over the months, she managed to find out his laptop password, I assume by watching him type it. Then, one night after leaving his laptop at the base, she hacked into in and changed his Internet homepage to meatspin. You can imagine the surprise he had in the morning...

Take care,

chbare.

she hacked into in and changed his Internet homepage to meatspin.

Meatspin? Wozzat?

Careful with the glitter dust in the air conditioning vents. A Paramedic team and an NYPD "RMP" (Radio Motor Patrol) team were trading pranks on each other, and the Paramedics put the powder into the vents of the cop car while it was unattended. Unfortunately for all, the RMP team had the Sargent ask for the keys to move the car, and HE was the one got sparkled. This was followed by both the RMP team, the Paramedic team, the Sargent, and the EMS and NYPD CAPTAINS having a frendly (?) conversation at the precinct, where the captains told both teams to knock it off, or be considered ripe to collect unemployment!

Edited by Richard B the EMT

Meatspin.com is or was an adult site that opened to a video and the tune of " you spin me round like a record." I would not recommend looking at the site (if it is still in existence) if you have any prudish tendencies. It's a case of that what has been seen cannot be unseen.

Take care,

chbare.

I tend to stay out of the pranking circle as I have a real issue with people touching 'my' things, whether it be personal or the things I'm responsible for on shift, though the pranking spirit is alive and well where I work.

It seems that I remember billygoatpete coming back to quarters once and finding that someone had put his Oakley sunglasses into a quart jar of water and froze them solid. The jar broke, so there was just a giant ice cube with the fuzzy image of some sunglasses inside. Fair warning. Pranking billygoatpete is a really bad idea.

I once tried putting a rubber band on the handle of the dish sprayer on the sink, so that when the water is turned on it would spray whoever is in front of it. But I kept forgetting, and I drink a lot of water, so after I'd sprayed myself about 6 times while waiting for the chance to laugh at someone for getting wet I took it off and admitted that practical jokes just aren't my thing... :-)

The powder sounds funny, but would generate a report if it happened in my truck. I'm not a prude, but can't really get onboard with anything that might damage property, hinder a response, or send a crew on a call looking like slobs. Just me...

Dwayne

Well, I guess I'm just a kid at heart. If patients or family are not compromised and nothing is actually damaged, I see no harm. It's been a long time since I actively engaged in this stuff, but I still appreciate a good gag. As we get older, we apparently become "too mature" for such childish humor.

Overall, I think people need to lighten up (often times, myself included)- our business is serious enough. There's nothing wrong with having a little fun. Life's too short, folks- and I don't think anyone knows this better than us. Enjoy it while you can.

Bout the only things we pull around the house and equipment is giving the new folks the fake tool gags. Noone gets hurt or anything damaged.

Our favorite is asking someone to go and get the water based petroleum lubricant for the NPA. devilish.gif

Some other good ones.....

Go and get the catapillar straps.

Get the medium sized back board

Make sure you rotate the O2 batteries

Go grab me a premade, cotton and rubber, semi-occlusive adhesive dressing

During rig checks I always seem to ask someone if the muffler bearings were checked

Was the kunuter valve replaced last week?

Did they finally get us that (whatever season it is) air we ordered?

Did they rotate the (whatever season it was) air out of the tires?

These dont last very long but usually get a laugh when a probie joins us or when you can tell someone is preoccupied mentally and wont pick up on it quickly.

Then there is always are favorite "tricks" with patients to help them calm down. No we dont do anything to jepordize them or us. Just some little ice breakers.

Some scarred of going on the stretcher? Ask them to hold this (pick a tag end) strap, it will really help us.

"please don't drop me, OK!" Nope we never do, only on days that end in Y does it happen. (that usually gets us a nice grin and a giggle)

With some of our frequent flyers we have inside jokes that they are in on that we break probies in with....

One of our guys has a way of simply going limp, I dont know how he does it, that usually freaks the rookie into thinking the pt just coded. His que from the rest of the crew is usually this.. "Hey (name withheld) meet Soandso he new to the crew tonight and your his/her first patient, Please Be Nice. Usually with a touch on his hand or arm during the last part that the rookie can not see.

He does his limp thing and we watch the reaction of the probie. Some freak and want to paddle ASAP, some freeze, some pinch, some go Um Uh I think he Um Uh Died.. He then usually opens his eyes and goes BOO.

Ok its kinda sick but hey its all in good fun, plus we get the benifit of seeing the probie under fire but in controled conditions.devilish.gif

Well, I guess I'm just a kid at heart. If patients or family are not compromised and nothing is actually damaged, I see no harm.

Well that's the kicker, isn't it? Some of the best laid plans seem to have a way of backfiring when we least expect, or want, them to.

It's been a long time since I actively engaged in this stuff, but I still appreciate a good gag. As we get older, we apparently become "too mature" for such childish humor.

I, too, love a good gag. I love a good gag when it's done off duty and away from the station. I can't, and don't, tolerate this kind of stuff at work because no matter how innocent and harmless those planning may try to make it there will always be that one time when it will delay a response or compromise a patient/family member. And the one time it happens always happens to be the worst possible time.

Overall, I think people need to lighten up (often times, myself included)- our business is serious enough. There's nothing wrong with having a little fun. Life's too short, folks- and I don't think anyone knows this better than us. Enjoy it while you can.

I agree with this, too. However, off duty and away from the station is safer for all involved. There is no chance at creating any kind of problem when it's done away from work. There's no damage to equipment, reduced chances of hostile work environment accusations, no chance of delaying a response, no chance of compromising patient care and/or embarrassing yourself and the organization in front of a patient or family member.

Also, consider what's been posted. Several of the activities mentioned here will most likely involve theft (IV tubing and saline, lidocaine jelly, KY/surgilube) which is a sure fire way of getting oneself fired if caught. If company computers are used and passwords are stolen, this will most likely violate any computer/network usage policy that may exist for your organization (at least it has in every EMS and non-EMS organization with which I've been affiliated). Even if it's a personal computer, stealing passwords can lead to criminal charges. Termination of employment can quickly follow.

By all means, have fun with your coworkers. Enjoy a good gag or joke or whatever. Just be smart about it and don't do it at work. It's not worth losing your job over.

Well that's the kicker, isn't it? Some of the best laid plans seem to have a way of backfiring when we least expect, or want, them to.

I, too, love a good gag. I love a good gag when it's done off duty and away from the station. I can't, and don't, tolerate this kind of stuff at work because no matter how innocent and harmless those planning may try to make it there will always be that one time when it will delay a response or compromise a patient/family member. And the one time it happens always happens to be the worst possible time.

I agree with this, too. However, off duty and away from the station is safer for all involved. There is no chance at creating any kind of problem when it's done away from work. There's no damage to equipment, reduced chances of hostile work environment accusations, no chance of delaying a response, no chance of compromising patient care and/or embarrassing yourself and the organization in front of a patient or family member.

Also, consider what's been posted. Several of the activities mentioned here will most likely involve theft (IV tubing and saline, lidocaine jelly, KY/surgilube) which is a sure fire way of getting oneself fired if caught. If company computers are used and passwords are stolen, this will most likely violate any computer/network usage policy that may exist for your organization (at least it has in every EMS and non-EMS organization with which I've been affiliated). Even if it's a personal computer, stealing passwords can lead to criminal charges. Termination of employment can quickly follow.

By all means, have fun with your coworkers. Enjoy a good gag or joke or whatever. Just be smart about it and don't do it at work. It's not worth losing your job over.

Wow. Where do you work- in communist China?

I worked in discipline, and of the hundreds of cases I reviewed, NONE stemmed from a practical joke gone bad. As long as nobody gets hurt, no personal or company equipment is damaged, I see no harm in an occasional prank. It's a stress reliever, and when your department does over 300K calls each year, it's a safety valve. Gawd knows we all need an occasional laugh to lighten the load a bit.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.