Happy EMS Week

Sunday, I attended the dedication of an ambulance and "First Due" car at Forest Hills (NY) Volunteer Ambulance Corps, followed by "Motorcade", and a picnic lunch, which the FHVAC supplied.

For the uninformed, Motorcade is several of the nearby VACs and VFDs send their secondary ambulances, and sometimes an engine company, and First Responder cars, as well as members with "buff-mobiles". They line up behind a vehicle, or vehicles, of the hosting corps, turn on all the lights, headlights, emergency and scene floods, and activate the sirens and airhorns, as they cruise around the district at speeds approaching 20 MPH. For participants, it's fun, but noisy.

The purpose of a Motorcade is to draw community attention, sometimes that there actually IS a volunteer ambulance service in the community, dedication of a new ambulance or First Responder/"Fly-Car", dedication of a new headquarters building, or the starting of a fund drive. Trust me, 10 emergency vehicles, an assortment of fly cars, and POVs with green (VAC) or blue (VFD) "Kojack" lights making noise while bunched up together, at low speed, garners attention, even if it is just calling the dispatch center to find out what the deuce is going on (dispatch will advise them, so a partial function has already been achieved).

Edited by Richard B the EMT

Around here they celebrated it last week. Of course my first two days in no breakfast or anything. My first night shift one of our contracts apparently had a huge breakfast waiting out in the bay. I did get a shirt thrown at me yesterday from the charge nurse at our other contract. Says EMS anytime anywhere we'll be there and has their logo on the back of it. Other than that got to work a 24 and get my rear end handed to me and my partner left me asleep in the front seat of the unit for 3 hours. Happy ems week!

I kind of like the idea Docharris's service has. I've never been one to care much about trinkets. I have enough t-shirts and coffee mugs to open my own outlet. We should use EMS week to promote the proper use of EMS, educate the public as to when is the appropriate time to call for help, BP checks and the like. Get out in to your district if time permits and introduce yourselves. I taught a Safeteen class today to the driver's ed class at the local high school. For those that do not know, Safeteen classes are meant to inform new driver's a what can happen in a wreck, the effects of ETOH and driving etc. It is taught in conjunction with the Highway Patrol and the Trauma Centre.

Sure it's always nice to get a pat on the back. However, I'd be happier if I could get one person not to call in the middle of the night for something that does not require immediate attention than a t-shirt.. We push education here at the City. Let's do our part to educate the public.

Happy 2010 EMS Week!!!

Just wondering, what are you doing for EMS Week this year?

We have a Gourney Rodeo, gift card drawings, BINGO, Ice Cream Social :icecream:

lunch with fire (not sure how I am gonna eat around a fire :D ), pancake breakfast, and lunch at several ERs. We may also wear EMS Week T-Shirts rather than our usually uniform.

Going to the Rodeo here in just a bit, really not a 100 percent sure what I am getting into but I figured what the heck. Not sure how much of the other stuff I will actually be involved with as I work the graveyard shift but it is nice to have to opportunity.

Have fun out there and enjoy the week.

I'm spending time going around to local hospitals sneaking into parked ambulances and turning on all their lights and their sirens, putting ky jelly on their door handles and then armor all'ing their jump seats in the back.

But seriously - I'm sitting at home taking the week off of EMS.

Our hospital is having a EMS Challenge Friday at 4pm. Donut eating contest,(the cops always win), tug of war - the fire men win that one, the obstacle course - the helicopter crew wins that one and a bitching contest which EMS'rs win hands down every single time.

The winning bitching argument - Fire versus EMS who does it better.

I got yelled at by a co-worker for EMS week. As a present to myself, I took the rest of the week off after tonight. Happy EMS week.

• Like 1

Well my bosses said I could give the two local stations "Thank You Books" made by the kids. :D Went to give the first one tonight. Thought I had some awesome timing. The ambo was pulling in as I rode up. So I thought, "awesome. I'll get to tell them in person and make sure they get the book." No sooner did I finish that thought did they get a call and drive off.. I don't think they even got out of the truck inside the bay area. The driver did see me and saw me put something by the door so hopefullly they will check out what was left. :: crosses fingers::

Tuesday, FDNY EMS Command Station 47 (Rockaway) was given a "Hero Sandwich" luncheon (3 8-foot heros, with a bunch of "fixin's"), sponsored by the St. John's Episcopal Hospital of Far Rockaway, NY.

Plaques were awarded to one of the station's Paramedics, and to an "Advanced EMT" from the Nassau County Police Department's Emergency Ambulance Bureau (4th Precinct-Hewlett, L I, NY), by the hospital CEO, Chief of the ER, and the ER Nursing Director.

True to form, even with all 4 BLS and 2 ALS units having been recalled to the station, they had to remain available during the ceremony. Even having all 3 FDNY EMS Division Chiefs from Queens County Borough Command (Division 4), as well as the NCPD Division Chief in attendance didn't prevent 2 of the BLS, and one of the ALS , teams being pulled away to do separate responses. They got assigned at roughly 30 second intervals, and went in different directions on leaving Station 47.

All EMS personnel assigned to Station 47 were given "EMS Week" pins by the department, as well as pins specifically designed as miniatures of the station shoulder patch. I was advised that all FDNY EMS stations that have their own design shoulder patches were getting mini-patch pins along with their EMS Week pins.

As I find and attend other events, I will report on them.

Edited by Richard B the EMT
  • Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.