MiniMed 3 Propofol drip

Anyone here used the MiniMed 3 (Alaris MedSystem3) with a propofol drip? Whenever we use our pump and that drip, it seems to always have problems saying "Check drip side" like it's clogging or something? I'm not sure if our pump just sucks, or is propofol a hard med to drip because of the viscosity?

Edit: Minimed III: http://www.foremostequipment.com/index.cgi?item=FE-457&q=Infusion%20Pump

Edited by exodus

Anyone here used the MiniMed 3 (Alaris MedSystem3) with a propofol drip? Whenever we use our pump and that drip, it seems to always have problems saying "Check drip side" like it's clogging or something? I'm not sure if our pump just sucks, or is propofol a hard med to drip because of the viscosity?

Edit: Minimed III: http://www.foremostequipment.com/index.cgi?item=FE-457&q=Infusion%20Pump

Most of the time with propofol the problem is not the viscosity but the bubbles. You have to be really diligent about not shaking or tipping the bottle and running it through slowly so you don't get ANY air bubbles in it at all. The minimed hates any bubbles (often ones you can't even see) and propofol gets air bubbles really easily. Sometimes it is easier to draw it up in a syringe and prime the line that way. Gets less bubbles.

Or the other problem might be that you are not venting the line. Using a vented spike helps. Do you open the little vent cap on the drip chamber? If you use a syringe it eliminates the need for venting as well. Just a suggestion since they often come in 50 ml bottles and you can draw it all up into a 60 ml syringe.

Hope this helps anyway.

I have the same problems at my service. Often, I find stopping the Diprivan and going with fentanyl and benzo boluses works well. Anecdotally, I find it difficult to make people comfortable with Diprivan outside the hospital. However, this will be less of a problem as the minimed will no longer be manufactured.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.